Hello Friends,

I am attempting to create a bare essentials version of Knoppix, one small enough to fit on one of those little 180MB CDs.

I have been playing with linux for a few years and can find my way around reasonably well, but I am far from being a linux guru.

I would love to see someone more knowlegable do this instead, but since I have not seen anyone attempt such a radical customization, I will see if I can do it on my own.

Please let me know if you know of such a customization already in existance. It would be much simpler for me to customize someone else's work than to do the whole thing myself.

If I can get it to work, I will be requesting someone to host the file.

I love Knoppix! It is an excellent tool and has helped me to repair systems on two occasions. The reason for the tiny build is mainly so that I can carry knoppix in my pocket and always have linux at hand.

My requirements are a java-enabled web browser (Mozilla), telnet (client) ssh (client), rdesktop, and VNC (client). I would like to have troubleshooting/repair tools as well, such as Ethereal, Etherape, gpart, and the basic linux essentials also, but I would be happy with just my basic requirements (after all, I will usually have a full knoppix CD nearby).

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nathan Chilton