Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating PocketKnoppix (180 MB MiniCD)

Junior Member registered user

Creating PocketKnoppix (180 MB MiniCD)

Hello Friends,

I am attempting to create a bare essentials version of Knoppix, one small enough to fit on one of those little 180MB CDs.

I have been playing with linux for a few years and can find my way around reasonably well, but I am far from being a linux guru.

I would love to see someone more knowlegable do this instead, but since I have not seen anyone attempt such a radical customization, I will see if I can do it on my own.

Please let me know if you know of such a customization already in existance. It would be much simpler for me to customize someone else's work than to do the whole thing myself.

If I can get it to work, I will be requesting someone to host the file.

I love Knoppix! It is an excellent tool and has helped me to repair systems on two occasions. The reason for the tiny build is mainly so that I can carry knoppix in my pocket and always have linux at hand.

My requirements are a java-enabled web browser (Mozilla), telnet (client) ssh (client), rdesktop, and VNC (client). I would like to have troubleshooting/repair tools as well, such as Ethereal, Etherape, gpart, and the basic linux essentials also, but I would be happy with just my basic requirements (after all, I will usually have a full knoppix CD nearby).

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nathan Chilton

Senior Member registered user
    You may want to check out Teck2k's site
    http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...geid=46907&ck=
    and charan's site
    http://gnubox.dyndns.org:8080/~sunil/kno_cd.html

There are 180 and 200 meg knoppix versions around, there is also "Kix" available in the knoppix contrib directory. However I'm not sure what ones are the most activly maintanied.

Thanks for the tip. Kix is 244MB, so it still needs some trimming. But it might be a better starting point.

mini-cd

I think Kix makes a good starting point and have remastered it many times.I hope the info on my homepage helps.Kix has the 2.4.19-xfs kernel so it's not to bad

When you first get Kix and boot it to look around you can startx clean by saying "startx /usr/bin/blackbox" I also say "knoppix 2" at the boot prompt so it dont try and start kde then fail to a prompt.Heres a few tips :

1. Say "deborphan" and remove the 54meg of orphaned libs left behind.
    2..Add "xdialog" to make the knx-hdinstall script run agian and also replace the script with the 0.30 version if you want it to run in english (dont forget the templates in /usr/local/lib).
    3. Use the boot-en.img from a Knoppix cd to get rid of the german keyboard.
    4. Give the "knoppix" user a password so you have the option to login as knoppix or root.To do this just say while chroot "passwd knoppix" and set a pass.

If you go with the 210meg mini-cdr's you can have around 550meg uncompressed (max).
    I remove all kde,wine,isdn and gimp,xfonts-intl,gpsdrive,zsh,psi,cdbakeoven and add icewm,xcdroast,xfm,mozilla-browser,eterm,sylpheed,along with a bunch small fast gtk and tk apps.

Another good starting point for a mini-cd is the lnx-bbc.You can build you own online with gar/cvs and it can also be remastered and uses cloop..they invented cloop.Find out more here : http://www.lnx-bbc.org/

I also just found this bbc with the 2.4.20 kernel : http://rescuecd.pld.org.pl/

Thanks

Thanks, Tech2k, those are great tips.

I will try them out. Using a 210MB CD is a good idea too.

--Nathan Chilton

update

I went to compusa yesterday and found some 245meg mini cd-r's so guess what I am up to

The write speed is 1x to 24x and they cost $7.99 for 15.

I also got curious and did some googling last night and found this http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/...duct_id=279809

210meg mini CDRW 5 for $5.99 I gotta have some...

Mini CDRW discs

Thanks for the tip. I finally got myself a 700 MB CDRW for the regular Knoppix disc, because I it seemed silly to waste a CDR on a particular release when a new one could be out the next day. I just bought ten 210MB CDRs, but I'm sure I'll be looking for some mini CDRW discs in the near future.

new mini cd

Ok guys I have found a much better "head start" than "kix" to use for the base of a mini cd project...get it here http://metadistros.hispalinux.es/

You want the one called "knoppix lite" and dont worry because it has the boot.img for en,es,and de.If you say at boot prompt "knoppix lang=us" it is all us even kde

I removed all kde,psi,zshircii and had pleanty of room to add things like endeavour2,gimp1.2,qcad,xcircuit,icewm,icemc,eterm ,prozilla,spider,gaim,scite,xchat,tinyirc,scrot ,tkinfo,tkman,tkps,dillo (it already has mozilla and links),telnet-ssl,xine-ui,tuxpuck and a ton more.

It's a better start than "kix" because it has zero orphaned libs and not much kde to kill and even "as is" it boots clean to kde and seems to have no errors.The pkg status is also "right".I also replaced the knx-hdinstall script and templates with 0.30 so it runs in english.

Have fun

Knoppix-Lite is an excellent disc! It is so much better than kix in so many ways! The best part is that if you don't want to have to remaster knoppix to get a working minicd, you can just burn it to a 210MB CDR and your done.

And if you want to customize and remaster, you only need to remove enough packages to make room for your additions!

I love it! This is exactly what I meant when I stated:

"I would love to see someone more knowledgeable do this instead, but since I have not seen anyone attempt such a radical customization, I will see if I can do it on my own. "
    at the begining of this thread.

Thank you for finding this, Tech2k!!!

Now we just need to convice the right people and get it on the standard mirrors

Member registered user
    I have been trying to find a way to get our remasters on the mirrors. Wonder who we have to sleep with to get this done...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast