Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can i get my integrated controler working?

Member registered user
    Last one for a while. I got the IRQ's separated by changing slots. Actually, the configuration is better now for Windows also because nothing is shared between the sound card and the Ethernet (it really didn't matter anyway before)...but now the Sound card, and ethernet have their OWN IRQ's. But....alas.....Knoppix STILL won't let either of them work. It says that the sound card is unsupported, which makes sense since it's not a very common card. But the ethernet is still not "found" after I have tried all suggestions. My only thing is to play again with the BIOS and see what happens.

Well, if this doesn't work, I'll try the Knoppix 3.2 again and see if that works with this new configuration. If that doesn't work, I'll use my wife's computer! But noooooooooo!....she's writing a thesis!

Oh...how I dream of Knoppix....

I'm getting sick now....

Thanks for all of your help...

I'll check the forums later after work

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmeister
    Just so you know....in Windows, there aren't any conflicts...and with all of the IRQ's available, it seems to work fine.
    Windows does IRQ sharing. You can have everything on the same IRQ. OK so that's a nice feature but still........well you know

Member registered user
    Heading out the door...I'll figure it out eventually. Thanks again for all of your help!

Member registered user
    I'm back! Don't know how much I'll get to playing with this tonight because I have to watch the kids. You know.

Hey, I am really new at this Linux stuff, but want to say that this forum is really great. I just have to sit for a couple of days to READ and LEARN. I have been happy with Windows XP...but man...the resources sapped up just running itself. The Unix thing can do the same work in half the time and so efficiently. I look forward to getting "up to speed" with this stuff one day.

Anyway, not related to the stuff above, I just wanted to say THANKS for all of the willingness to help around here.

I'll try a few more things in the BIOS before giving up on the Network card for now. Remember, I have another computer sitting right next to me (when my wife isn't using it!) that runs Knoppix PERFECTLY. So I can work my way around that when I want to be online. In the mean time, I can practice all of the other stuff here because Knoppix runs great except for the above sound and network problems. I'll get there....

[quote="Bobmeister"]I have been happy with Windows XP...but man...the resources sapped up just running itself[quote]

On my 550 MHz w/ 224M I can watch a DVD, surf the web, run system monitoring apps, and use a graphhics proggie (gimp) all at the same time and still have processor & ram left. It's been running for 16 days now. My Linux router/DHCP server has been up for nearly 6 weeks! WIN2k made this machine a dog.

Anyway, not related to the stuff above, I just wanted to say THANKS for all of the willingness to help around here.
    de nada hombre'

You're addicted to Linux - I can tell.

Member registered user
    Well, if not addicted yet, getting hooked. I might disappear for a while learning stuff. I'll ask more when I run into problems or just have questions that I can't find answered on the forums. I can run the Knoppix on my machine and learn playing with that....and my wife's machine doing the internet stuff.

I will get this network card to work eventually.

The "slow" machine problem....well, as they say, you can get THROUGH Windows with BRUT FORCE! My machine runs OK because it's kinda new, but you KNOW there is something wrong when you see yourself running out of memory with one application going with 256MB of RAM, right? I have a GIG because I work with a lot of image files. But SHEEEESH...come on. I DO have to say that at least Windows will run for a few days before needing a reboot....something needed every hour or two with earlier versions!

But who would run a Windows Server anymore? With Linux, you can set it and forget it. I'll get addicted to this stuff for sure, if not YET. But my problem now is to UNLEARN (repair the damage) and LEARN a lot of the inside "how to's" so that I don't feel lost.

Again...thanks.

I've often heard it said that Linux is not well documented-PSHAW! There is so much documentation you couldn't possibly read it all. Here are some other great forums:

www.justlinux.com
    www.linuxquestions.org

gluck

Member registered user
    Well, Rickenbacherus, I have finally done just about EVERY combination I can think of. None of it worked. I finally found a combination of assigned IRQ's that eliminated ALL conflicts, but the net card is still "not supported" and the sound card is being mis-identified and of course, not supported.

But how I am loving Knoppix!

So....here is the deal. I am wondering if it's just a matter of my PARTICULAR hardware not being supported with available drivers. That being the potential case, how do we know? Is it documented anywhere or is there a way to PETITION Klaus to include certain hardware for the next release?

Since I am not doing a HARD DISK installation I'm not sure of finding the proper drivers and "installing" them every time. But alas...things do work perfectly in the wife's laptop and EVERY OTHER computer we have tried 3.1 in (still working on 3.2....Video is a little different and I'm trying to get the refresh rate up)....so I'll keep enjoying my edumacation (as my wife says) with things as they are for now.

Since you got your IRQ's fixed try this:

modprobe tg3

and see if that will get your NIC working.

Member registered user
    Yes, I should have mentioned that I did a modprobe tg3 command and it had no effect. I still get the "cannot find supported network card" box. But it's OK. I still might get it working some day.

In the mean time, 3.2 really looks great. It has a really nice "feel" and that apps work fine. This is not related to this thread, but it seems as if 3.2 is handling the video differently...I have a slightly smaller screen, same resolution, but it seems as if the refresh rate is smaller. I tried a cheatcode, but it I might have the code wrong because it complained that it didn't exist.

Also, is there a method to get into the Video Driver and change settings from within Knoppix..I can't find anything in the System or other consoles that seems to be what I'm looking for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast