Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can i get my integrated controler working?

How can i get my integrated controler working?

I have a broadcomm 440 network controler on my asus a7v8x motherboard how can i make it work under knoppix?

Senior Member registered user
    Have you logged in as root and tried

netcardconfig

Member registered user
    I finally found the Thread! Sorry that I posted on ANOTHER thread about SOUND AND NETWORK...but I have the same network configuration on my Motherboard and the Broadcom is not recognized. I did a netcardconfig command and Koppix says that "no supported network card is found" or something similar. I tried to change the IRQ allocation in my BIOS, and unlike the OTHER thread where a person had some success with this, it didn't work for me. I went back to my original BIOS settings and am now trying to find answers. Is it maybe, that this particular Network chip just isn't supported yet? If so (I am using Knoppix 3.1) will there be more support with 3.2? I am holding off on using that because there are still some language problems in that version as of yet.

Any ideas?

Member registered user
    A reply to myself! Anyway, I started the latest 3.2 version (3-23-2003) and it looks great! The only problem is....same thing with the sound which I'm not worried about) and the network adapter (which I really want to work badly). So, for now, I have tried everything I can think of for the Broadcom adapter on a ASUS motherboard....IRQ assignments included.

If anyone has any other ideas, please shoot. Not me, of course....but I am interested, and I'm sure the person who posted originally for this problem is too.

Thanks

Did you try a

modprobe tg3

If that doesn't work what does

cat /proc/pci

tell you?

Member registered user
    Sorry, but I didn't get all of the info yet...but I'm working on it. First, modprobe tg3 says basically, that there might be incorrect modual parameters and that no such device is found. Also, it mentions the IO or IRQ parameters not being right, maybe, and I heard that this solved someone elses problems.

I DID NOT get the cat /proc/pci info yet because I forgot to put the space between the cat and/ so I didn't enter a valid command. I did look at the messages and of course there is so much stuff there, that it's hard to find what you are looking for. Anyway, there ARE some IRQ conflicts, that it detects, but I can't tell from the codes exactly what it is. I will go back now and get the cat /proc/pci message and get back to you, but I'm getting tired and will quit soon.

OK well obviously if you still have IRQ conflicts then the driver can't load. I probably didn't need to tell you that eh? I hope that when you say 'quit' you just mean for the night and not 'quitting Linux'. post back whenever you're ready, I'm in no hurry. gluck

Oh yeah - go ahead and post the ENTIRE output of cat /proc/pci if you would please.

Member registered user
    Getting closer, but I have to find a solution. The dmesg is filled with info that I was talking about before, but now I can see where cat /proc/pci is telling me something. I don't think that knoppix is recognizing any IRQ higher than 15 (the old standard). I have 21 IRQ's and my sound card (integrated) is on 18 normally. OK, so is the sound card...and it's not working either. My PROBLEM is figuring out how to assign a lower IRQ to the Ethernet chip. In the BIOS, it's not all that clear, but I'll study up on it and see if I can get this thing working.

I can assign IRQ's to SLOTS but the card isn't in a slot...it's integrated. So I must have missed something in the BIOS. I'm a little new at this so please excuse me if I sound dumb. But thanks for pointing me BACK to the IRQ situation because I'm thinkint that's it.

Question...can the Knoppix "see" IRQ's that go up to any number? My new motherboard surprised me with the 21 IRQ's (actually 22 counting 0) or is that now a limitation? The original post on this thread was NOT me but he has the EXACT SAME MOTHERBOARD and Network chip (Broadcom 4401 family..and it works great, by the way).

Also, where do I find a listing of all of the rood commands like the ones that you have already told me about? I'm having trouble finding that on any documents. Thanks for all of your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmeister
    I can assign IRQ's to SLOTS but the card isn't in a slot...it's integrated.
    OK so assign all of your lower IRQ's and see what happens, maybe that will make some available for your non-assignable devices. That's just a guess now - I only have old equipment.

Question...can the Knoppix "see" IRQ's that go up to any number?
    Not sure but I think so. Can anyone give a better answer to that?

Also, where do I find a listing of all of the rood commands like the ones that you have already told me about?
    Here is one source although maybe not the best.
    http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/r10735/u....html#tth_sEc2
    edit Found another:
    http://www.unixguide.net/linux/linuxshortcuts.shtml
    also - hit <tab> in a term for all commands on your system - watch out!

But you see...... 'cat' is something you 'add on' if you will. It means 'concatenate' or literally "to link together". 'proc' is a virtual fiesystem. pci is obviously the pci bus. I really don't know where a good info source for all of that is. Maybe someone who reads this post could chime in. Rock mumbles perhaps would know.
    Oh yeah - check out the link in my sig. it's got alot of excellent links.

Member registered user
    Thanks, I am not giving up. However, I do have a little problem with TIME and a lot of other projects going on...so the speed of this might not be all to your liking....but if you have time...so do I.

First, let me say, that the 3.1 distribution is working PERFECTLY in my wife's laptop, so I KNOW that it's just a configuration issue with my MUCH newer machine. I am patient....but like to find and solve problems.

Thanks for the links to a lot of commands...they are all in my bookmarks now. I am TOTALLY new to Linux, and my plan is to use my wife's old hard drive and install a full version of some distribution on that machine some day to have a totally Linux machine....so what I learn now "playing" will help me down the road.

OK, maybe a dumb question, but I need an answer. Since I am getting all of this info in Linux, but replying from Windows where I can get all of this stuff to work (Shame on me!), I have two problems. First, the output from the cat /proc/pci command is so big that I can't see the whole thing at the same time and I can't figure out how to get the page to scroll. The bar on the left shows how much is not shown, but I can't get it to move....what keyboard entry is required for that.

Next, how do I copy the text? I can highlight it...but dummy me in my windows mentality...don't know how to get it all on the "clipboard" from the root to paste into some application where it will be useful to make a file. Sorry about being stupid, and maybe I should spend more time figuring out that stuff myself...but I'm too busy keeping my wife's Windows ME machine running without blowing up that it's hard to do!

Anyway, jokes asside (what joke?....Windows?...ha-ha)..thanks, in advance for your help!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast