Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Synaptic "dist-upgrade" Problems...

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Where do I go from this now ???
    Short answer: kanotix

Serious answer: I suppose you did apt-get update first?
    Try doing startx or /etc/init.d kdm start and see if it throws back any errors.
    Or you could do apt-get install gdm
    it looks like X is broken (X is your graphical system, KDE is just the desktop environment. you want to get back in X).

so. login and type "startx". look at the error... and solve it...

and don't force things on the next dist-upgrade, but leave them as they are.

and: knoppix isnt really meant to be hd-installed. you should use kanotix, or better - the new debian sarge installer. not that difficult, and you can use knoppix after the installation to find some settings (eg you cant configure your scanner in debian's installation? start with knoppix, and copy its auto-generated scanner config files to your h-disk and try to use them to fix it...)

Junior Member registered user
    Download the newest NVIDIA graphics drivers from www.nvidia.com for linux,
    sudo su - root
    export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95
    chmod +x <driverfile>.run
    ./<driverfile>.run

That will install the newest NVIDIA driver module. Edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to use nvidia instead of nv as the video driver.

rerun this again whenever you change kernels.

Hope this helps,
    KS

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    startx

tried to start up, and then burped out some text, and returned to text screen...

Notable messages:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Unable to set IgnoreDisplayDevives
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

fatal server error:
    no screens found

root prompt:#

Hmmmmm, let me guess, my NVidia is hosed??? ( considering I compiled the NVidia source into the kernel, a way back, this isnt good... )

Whats next??? Play in the XF86Config-4 file ????

Please dont say Kanotix ( I dont have it ), and please dont say re-install ( thats even worse )...

Ok, lets say Im going to download these drivers... How does one do that in a text login / boot ???

I am sitting at a TEXT SCREEN, no GUI, I need to connect to the internet / ISP, and get files to be "inserted" - from a text login... I am using a win98 backup computer just to get here, and get answers for the other system...

ECO2GEEK if you are listening to this, I think I am going to take you up on your original offer - How bout that Kanotix BH9 Cd ???? -=- and if you can, send me the "HOWTO" on your install again...

I'm going to start looking at all the programs, and hopefully, get a "ripped off" copy of my important files, from my dead system, and ( I hope ) be able to get back on-line and running again, sometime this year... Sheesh

You can download with something like: wget -c url_to_file

Go for GDM as Markus said, it's cool. I had similar experience after upgrading KDE. The problem is, you shouldn't run KDE upgrade while KDM is running. Meaning you should upgrade KDE only from text mode.

Anyway you could try this command and see if it working:
    su
    /usr/bin/genkdmconf --no-old

I must agree and disagree
    I agree kanotix is far superior for someone looking for closetopure debian (sid) and a harddrive install.

As for kanotix support now, no, it is not good. It is nothing like this forum (in english) but I believe very much like our forum here, in German seciton. Kano is a scripting genius. NO doubt about it. I would happily pay him for scripts for other live CD distros. And he did use to respond in the english forums quite promptly. Now he doesn't but we have mzikazi (sp?) here helping us you're are terrific, mzi.

I disagree about updating KDE. I live on the bleeding, hemorraghing edge of KDE. It can be updated and with kpackage to boot, while in KDE. I have been pleasantly surprised. There are always a few bugs, but nothing insurmountable. I jump on the KDE pkgs as soon as they hit the mirrors. This last time, and I think cuddles may have been bit a little by it -- I lost the ability for root to get into KDE the normal way. Root no longer shows as a login option on the KDE login screen. And in a text login "kdm start" from root does nothing. No error. No nothing. If you startx from there it will bring KDE as the default window mgr. Weird.

Now Cuddles, the "no screens" error is CLASSIC nvidia/xf86 stuff. If you edit the xf86config-4 file and change "nvidia" to the "nv" driver for now you will be fine. You did a "dist upgrade" not just KDE. Obviously something tapped into yonder kernel tree and nvidia always responds with that error message. There is only one distro I know of that has a workaround...SUSE. IF you use Yast there is an option to avoid the reinstalling of nvidia if the kernel is patched. That is the only exception I am personally familiar with.

Anyhow, you do need to reinstall nvidia to get this going again. In knoppix I cannot tell you how to do it without kernel source on there. That is why I am running kanotix. For his fantastic script(s). It is the script to install the kernel source that is the biggie. You can use nvidia's installer after that, or kano's script. Same difference. But without the kernel source it is going to fail.

I don't want to turn this into a "switch to kanotix" post. But I loved knoppix like oodles, it got me back into linux. But I couldn't properly compile without the exact same sources for a lot of things, most notable...tada...drum roll lm sensors

Nishtya,

You can suggest the "best" options

Made the change to the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 - and went back to "nv" video drivers - I am getting into KDE now, but, as I found once before with using those drivers, my display is "seriously" not pretty - It looks like my screen has a "ghost" image to the right of the monitor, and "sync" lines through it -=- but I am in, and can work "temporarily" to get it working properly...

I guess my next step is to go through the "NVidia Driver install / Compile" from source now, right ???

My assumption:
    ( 1 ) re-download the Source Kernel Code...
    ( 2 ) re-download the NVidia Source Code...
    ( 3 ) re-compile a Kernel with NVidia into the Kernel...

Considering I did all of this before, couldn't I just "re-use" what I already have ??? ( my guess is, no, I need to re-get them, because this is what has gotten me where I am now - I have the wrong source for the drivers I have, and re-sync them again, right ??? )

So, now that I am in, but not at my best, where do I go from here???

Thanks in advance,
    Ms. Cuddles

You don't have to recompile the kernel. You just need to build the nvidia driver against the kernel source. I think all you'll need to do is make sure you have the kernel source, make sure the linux symlink points to them, and then run the nvidia installer script. It will do the actual compiling for you. Then you just change XF86Config-4 and you're good...or at least, in theory.

BTW, if you did this before and haven't deleted the sources, you should be good to go with running the install script again. Just make sure to get out of X and go to init 3 before installing. Then go back to init 5 and edit the config file and hopefully kdm will come right up when you call it.

And by nvidia installer script I mean the one from the nvidia site...not Kano's script.

Ok, I am lost, but, to not want to just post a reply saying "I'm Lost!!", I did a little digging...

Examining the Synaptic Search Filters - "Search History" - I find that a "dist-upgrade" was something I SHOULD HAVE NEVER DONE - ( bad Cuddles ) - Appears the source got hit the most, it upgraded the 2.4 and the 2.6 kernel trees, and the NVidia...

Reading through the output of Synaptic:
    nvidia-glx is @ v 1.06111-1
    nvidia-kernel-2.6.6 is @ 1.05336-6
    nvidia-kernel-common is @ 1.0611+1
    nvidia-kernel-source is @ 1.0611-1

Considering the last time I went through all of this, I had a "simple", "easy to follow", HOWTO to cheat off of, ( and I cant find that article here anymore ) - what do I do, simple, easy, step-by-step... ( I take it, if I am going to compile anythjing, I need to "point" the C compiler to 2.95, right? And, after, I repoint it back to 3.x??? something, right??? ) -=- Considering I am a programmer ( by trait ), this is seriously, [censoured], to say the least... This is about as hard as I've ever dealt with being a programmer, and yes, I understand why, because the "distributer" is using a more "stable" version of the compiler, you need to "drop back" to that version of the compiler, even if "technology" has advanced past that version ( right? )...

So, what should I do now... ( I am not even sure if my source is good now ) Do I go after a complete Source download / compile, from scratch? Or do I trust some of the source is still intact??? Direct me, CLI steps, links to follow the step-by-step??? ( if I need to go after new source, completely, should I just blow away the Linux2.x directories below the /usr/src directory??? Sorry to say, I blew away the "tarballs" for the Kernel Source a way back, but I do have the tarballs for the NVidia still )

I have a good set of instructions I made back on my home desktop. But I'm not home...so I'll just try to remember. If you're using the kernel that came with knoppix you're right about needing to use gcc-2.95. Just change the gcc symlink to point to gcc-2.95 (or whatever it's called)...I haven't done it in a while but I think that's enough. Then make sure that the linux symlink in /usr/src points to the right place. I kinda thought that knoppix came with the kernel headers already there...but maybe not.

Then go here and get the installer for whichever version of the driver you want. I still use 4496 because it seems to work best with my old video card. You know the drill with it...you'll just chmod +x on the script. Then kill X and type "init 3". Then run the nvidia installer script...it'll first look for drivers online, but will then most likely have to build them for you. After it's done, go into XFree86Config-4 and change nv back to nvidia again. Then type "init 5" and try to start X back up. Hopefully it will work.

If there are errors within the nvidia installer script it will log them to a file (I forget what the file's called, but it will tell you if it errors)...so if you have problems go look at it and post the last portion of it here. That's all I can think of right now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast