Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Synaptic "dist-upgrade" Problems...

Senior Member registered user
    Cool, going to go try this all out, BTW, found the posted topic on where I got my information on the kernel compiling and including the NVidia into it...

Topic Here

The commands, it shows, for changing the symlink for the compiler is:

cd .usr/bin
    ln -s gcc-2.95 gcc

... do your work ...

cd usr/bin
    rm -f gcc
    ln -s gcc-3.3 gcc

My guess is, that you should check your symlink ( currently ) on what gcc points to first,

ls -la /usr/bin/gcc

and be sure to change it back to that, after you finish - the documentation assumed, at the time of its writting, that v3.3 of gcc was installed and current, and that isn't a good assumption, considering the post was back around July 2004 -=- things change a lot, in a very short time, here in "unstable" "cutting edge" Land

Off to install NVidia Drivers... ( wish me luck )

Good luck. I haven't tried it on 2.6 yet (I should've mentioned that )...hope it's just as easy as on 2.4.

As far as the symlinks...it'd just error out if you used the wrong version...so at least it's nothing that'd wreck your install or anything.

SCARY PART

Downloaded the 6111 package, figured its the newest and I had seen that in the "Synaptic" output - but, did the symlink, did the download of the .run file, did the chmod, did a [ctrl] + [alt] + F1, logged in as root, did a init 3, did a cd to the downloaded .run file, started it...

and then...

it flashed up a large red screen that reported something along the lines that:

"no kernel module to match..."
    ( had a choice of YES or NO )

Choose NO - then it flashed another red screen with:

"Do you want to use nvidia kernel..." - which I took it as meaning, it wants to download the kernel source from the nvidia site that it thinks matches my kernel, not the drivers source, but my kernel... I did a [ctrl] + C and dropped the install script, did a init 3, and got back here...

It also reported that it detected that I have rivafb installed, and that NVidia has problems when this is installed in with the NVidia - no clue - dont think I have it - but it says I do - and appears it hates that it is, and may not work...

Whats next ???

A red screen? Does it look at all like the BSOD?

Yeah, it will first see if it has the drivers for your kernel...then it will try to find them online...then it will build them for you. So you have to go through two things before you get to the compile option (which is the third and last).

I dunno about rivafb. But the README.txt does mention that:
    Q: My system hangs when vt-switching if I have rivafb enabled.

A: Using both rivafb and the NVIDIA kernel module at the same time is
    currently broken. In general, using two independent software drivers
    to drive the same piece of hardware is a bad idea.
    So it sounds like it there's no harm in installing. I'm sure rivafb can be disabled if it causes trouble. I spose it's also possible that one of the older driver sets might not have this issue.

There was a recent upgrade to xfree86 so you'll need to reinstall your nvidia drivers before X will work again. Use Kano's script to install nvidia drivers. It's alot easier.

mzi, Cuddles is running knoppix. And unless something has changed, although the nvidia install script would work (providing she had managed to install kernel source) it would error out without kernel source on there that nvidia could match. And Kano's install kernel source script will not work except on kanotix.

Cuddles, been awhile since I Knoppixed but I have tried one live CD debian-based after another and have not found a work around on this one. If anyone can help you, it's the great folks here!! But like I said, this is why I am running kanotix.

If I had my druthers...would be Mepis. That baby was like everything I wanted/needed right off the CD. EXCEPT, no kernel source script and just try to recompile the kernel and get all the patches right, I did try, it didn't, so I am in Kanotix.

And I apologize, I should have said if you switch to "nv" in xf86 you would be able to get X again and your default window manager. Not that you would be alright. But it beats messing with this in text. I think so anyway.

If you have some time, I have BIG alsa problems after a blessed honeymoon period with it

If previously you install nvidia driver by compiling your kernel and use the nvidia installer, I would suggest you try run:
    nvidia-installer --update

No need to compile again because the header is there, in /usr/src.

Shah, considering your response, I rethought the whole thing, seeing that I "force-fed" the new NVidia drivers into my system, through the stupid use of Synaptic Dist-Upgrade, I realized the reason why my GLX was not current, see previous post on the output of Synaptic - I forced the 1.05 drivers through the process that I have the link set to, previously, and they got "updated" to the new drivers, 1.0611, but not the GLX, it stayed back...

Your suggestion to "update" these drivers through the kernel source I already have, which ( appears ) to be untouched... ( and not knowing what "nvidia-installer" you are talking about ), I looked at my original "step-by-step" that I used to get NVidia working before...

Here is what I did, some of which may have been unnecessary, or repeated, but...

Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    ln -sf gcc2.95 gcc
    cd /usr/src
    apt-get update
    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-source
    tar zxvf nvidia-kernel-source.tar.gz
    cd modules/nvidia-kernel
    debian/rules KSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.6.6 KVERS=2.6.6 kdist_image
    cd ..
    dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-2.6.6_1.0.5336-6_i386.deb
    apt-get install nvidia-glx
    cd /usr/bin
    ln -sf gcc-3.3 gcc
    Since the new drivers of 1.06111 were already downloaded, and didnt work going through the NVidia installer ( sorry Champagne, it didnt work, and had to re-edit XF86Config-4 to point back to "nv" ), I changed the above dpkg command to point to the newer .deb package of drivers... After completion of the above steps, changed XF86 again, to point to "nvidia", and rebooted -=- PERFECTLY !!!!

So, the NVidia is fixed now, but, my Menus are messed up... I tried the "update menus" command, but it didnt change anything, I even tried the KMenu program "Menu Updating Tool" from within the v3.4 menus, it found a few "rougue" programs, but not all of them... I guess I am going to have to manually put them back in now...

I also appear to have gotten services running that I never had before, all from this "mistake" of running the Dist-Upgrade... First of all, I have a "lone" computer, no net card, and no "server" responsibilities, but I have gotten HylaFax running now, a "good" side effect from this situation... But, looking at the boot-up, I am now starting "named", "NIS services", "ypbind", "apmd", and this is a serious boo-boo, "nvtvd"...

Here is now, what my system is looking at, or listening to, as far as ports, even though I think my firewall is "blocking" them:

[code]netstat -natu
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:4559 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:815 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:631 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:953 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN
    tcp6 0 0 ::1:953 :::* LISTEN
    udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:1024 0.0.0.0:*
    udp 9120 0 0.0.0.0:812 0.0.0.0:*
    udp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:*
    udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
    udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:631 0.0.0.0:*
    udp6 0 0 :::1025 :::*
    rpcinfo -p
    program vers proto port
    100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    100007 2 udp 812 ypbind
    100007 1 udp 812 ypbind
    100007 2 tcp 815 ypbind
    100007 1 tcp 815 ypbind[/cpde]
    Comparing some of the ports from both outputs, I can tell that "ypbind" is doing the majority of them, and considering the serious amount of "updating" on my system that was done, this "portmapper" must be something new, but, not sure if it is appropriate for my system...

I think I need some help figuring out what I "need", and what I dont, here... When this Dist-Upgrade went through my system, I think it decided I need net card support, or is this from the HylaFax now??? ( did I become a "Fax Server", and this is what all this is for now??? )

If my outputs above are right, for using HylaFax, now, then, I can get used to seeing this, but, if this is for network cards, I dont got them, and cant see using "processor" time slices for not-needed processes....

On a good note: GLXGears is coming out with 284 FPS with the NVidia now ( cool )
    Ms. Cuddles

Just glad you got it going Cuddles. And if I ever decide to switch to 2.6 I'll know how to get nvidia going.

Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    Just glad you got it going Cuddles. And if I ever decide to switch to 2.6 I'll know how to get nvidia going.
    Thanks, I'm going to see if we can get this into a DOC, or something, considering that "NVidia" is a good card, and appears to be a "fav" for Linux users, ( I cant be the only one who "accidently" stomped all over there install drivers )

My Pain, can be someone else's Gain
    Ms. Cuddles

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast