Thread: Thunderbird Date Format

Thunderbird Date Format

Dear Group, i realise this is maybe a little of-topic but i have searched hard believe me. i have Thunderbird in Knoppix and when reading newsgroups the date format is in US, ie. M/D/Y rather then the D/M/Y that i want.

Anyone have an idea how to change it to UK format?

Many Thanks

Dreamofgilgamesh

Senior Member registered user
    Not having a clue what "Thunderbird" is, let alone what it does, I did a "apt-cache search" and found that it is a "Mozilla" and mail client...

My guess, and this is something "common" to almost anything, if the "program" refuses to accept the "system settings" you have set, then it must maintain those settings in itself, or in the case of a Web Browser, these settings may be found in the "member profile" on the site you are viewing...

So, either ensure that your "system" settings are right, then hit up the "Thunderbird" settings, and lastly, check to see that the web site you have date problems with, doesnt maintian a "member" settings - as does Knoppix.net, see "Profile" on the top of this screen for more information.

Hope this helps,

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Not having a clue what "Thunderbird" is, let alone what it does, I did a "apt-cache search" and found that it is a "Mozilla" and mail client...
    Surely you've heard of Firefox and Thunderbird :-)??

The problem here is that T-bird is designed/compiled/whatever for Gnome and has the usual problems with resources that other Gnome apps have running under KDE. In this case the locale setting is wrong somewhere and you can't fix it in the KDE control centre.

Try running "dpkg-reconfigure locale" and see if that sorts it out - I've run that command with the "all" parameter but it takes hours so I don't recommend it if you can help it.

Other probs you might get with T-bird are the fonts and font-sizes on the menu and other elements of the app window, especially if you've included some Gnome resources to satisfy other apps like Pan. Of course in T-bird you can often oversome such problems thorough the css settings in the userChrome file.

So much for the ease of setup that the Linux advocates claim for current distros!

Regds, RM.

Hi "Dreamofgilgamesh", yes mozilla mail has the same default behaviour. Libc locale defaults to C/POSIX, which implies plain ascii and US date format. I've fixed my mepis install by sticking the line "LANG=en_GB" in /etc/environment, but I seem to recall reading that the standard way would be to do this in /etc/sysconfig/i18n instead. Anyway it's just a matter of setting the correct environment variable at the correct level so it's inherited by all processes.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalMail
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Surely you've heard of Firefox and Thunderbird ??

Regds, RM.
    Why Yes, Yes, I have, but I didn't think it was in the right "context" here...

Firefox -=- Movie, with Clint Eastwood as main character, sent into Russia to steal a "prototype" attack / fighter plane that was designed by the Russians, that not only had "stealth" but also thought control on the HUD ( Heads Up Display ) and the weapons systems, only problem with his thinking of stealing it, was that you didnt have to think in English and translate into Russian, but rather, think in Russia. Eastwood's character was plagued with Post-War Tramatic Syndrome, and was unstable for the mission, Reason given why he was elected for the mission was: "He fit the suit". The Movie was named Firefox, and so was the name of the "prototype" plane.

Thunderbird -=- An old series, TV, now made into a movie, current, that used marionetts [sp] as the main charcters, effects, etc... They had five "vehicles" that were used to "save the world" every eppisode. They owned their own island that they used as there "Main Base" of operations, and which would "hide" these vehicles when not in use. They had "elaborate" ways of getting from there home, down to these hidden vehicles, some being, rather, borderlining, absurd... Common phase used in the series was: "Thunderbird's are GO!"

Again, I didn't think what "I" thought they were, was what someone was talking about, so, in essence, I had no clue what these two things were... I stand by my original post, and statements made in such. BUT, thank you for pointing out why I havent been running them, I dont run GNome ( pronounced, "Gaaa - Nome" ), I have read about the "other", or another, desktop environment, I have even heard about its settings, etc, I just dont run it.

So, did you "honestly" want me to show someone how to "set the date format" on what my ( above ) definition was for "Thunderbird" ??????

Ok, "set the 'way-back' machine to say, 1970, early 1980's, and turn your TV on." -=- Check your local TV Guide for times and days for the show "air" times. [ ]