Thread: Cheatcode dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

Senior Member registered user

Cheatcode dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

I assume that the subject cheatcode is a valid entry..as are the many other codes listed in the cheatcode file of knoppix...and that it is intended to be entered at the boot prompt as are all the other cheatcodes.

When I enter the subject cheatcode into the boot prompt, it is not recognized.

Either it is a cheatcode or it is not a cheatcode.

Which is it?

Re: Cheatcode dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

Quote Originally Posted by lilsirecho
    I assume that the subject cheatcode is a valid entry..as are the many other codes listed in the cheatcode file of knoppix...and that it is intended to be entered at the boot prompt as are all the other cheatcodes.

When I enter the subject cheatcode into the boot prompt, it is not recognized.

Either it is a cheatcode or it is not a cheatcode.

Which is it?
    cheatcode is not a cheatcode. Here's a link to the cheatcodes.
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

mzilikazi;

Thanks for the info.

The cheatcodes file in the Knoppix DVD refers to the subject data entry (in Linux) to permit booting from the floppy. Since this reference is contained within the file cheatcodes it would follow directly that it is valid to be entered as such.

The reference you provided does not mention the subject data so it isn't a cheatcode, or even referenced therein, in present application use. The DVD Knoppix cheatcode info, whereas it may not be valid as a cheatcode, refers to the subject entry and states (in Linux). Operations when in windows are mentioned separately.

It follows therefore that the subject coding applies to Linux use and since Knoppix is linux the use of the subject coding is justified. Even in the boot prompt, perhaps.

However, it isn't recognized as a cheatcode (probably justifiably, even though it appears within the cheatcode file most probably just as a reference) and it doesn't perform the load of the boot.img to the floppy when entered in the command line after booting up the Knoppix2.6 kernel to desktop.

The result of entering the subject coding is : knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0
    dd: opening `/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img': No such file or directory
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

The DVD disc is in the CDROM and the floppy has a disc installed.

This is an older kernel2.6.3 and the cheatcodes and references are possibly out of date.

How do I get the floppy boot.img with the older files?

Quote Originally Posted by lilsirecho

How do I get the floppy boot.img with the older files?
    Well to be perfectly honest I haven't even booted a Knoppix disc in a year or so. I really have no idea how the kernel is set up on a Knoppix disc but
    Code:
    `/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img': No such file or directory
    seems to say that it isn't boot.img. Have a look at what the kernel really is.

Member registered user
    The result of entering the subject coding is : knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0
    dd: opening `/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img': No such file or directory
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

The DVD disc is in the CDROM and the floppy has a disc installed.
    The dd command is saying that the file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img isn't on your system.
    My guess is that you booted knoppix with the toram option in which case you can't access the cdrom drive using the "/cdrom" mount point because that is used to mount the knoppix system. On my system /cdrom is on /dev/hda1 because that's where I do a fromhd. On your system it will be in ram because you did the toram. Either way, /cdrom is not mounted as a DVD (or a CD).

You need to mount the DVD disc using a different name. For example, you could use the mount point name /mnt/dvd by doing this (in a root shell):
    Code:
    # create the mount point name
    mkdir /mnt/dvd
    # and then mount the DVD drive (assuming that it's name is /dev/scd1)
    mount /dev/scd1 /mnt/dvd
    Once you've mounted the DVD as /mnt/dvd you can check to see if boot.img really is on the DVD with the command:
    Code:
    ls /mnt/dvd/KNOPPIX
    If the listing includes boot.img then you're in business and can try:
    [code]
    dd if=/mnt/dvd/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

If it isn't listed, then it isn't on the DVD and there's not much you can do about that

Best Wishes
    Pete

Pete;

Thanks for the commecnts, well taken.

I have however tried the coding from archlinux OS and have determined that the coding doesn't apply to the isolinux system since /boot.img is ensconced in minirt26.gz.

I find a reference that details the required activity and may try it at some later date. I am deep into the TORAM stuff!!!