Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shot Me, I'm Lost!

Member registered user

Shot Me, I'm Lost!

Just come across Knoppix by accident and my curiosity takes me here

A little about myself (at least you should know why before you shot me):
    during school time - pc does not exist, at least not in my school (i am that old)
    I'm a true pc USER - meaning i do not know programming, only use applications .. every thing about pc is self learn thru books, try and error (heartwork) and forums (shot many times cause i asked dumb questions).

My pc .. P3, 933Mhz, 256MRam, using WinME with Opera, Firefox, OO and the likes...

Linux (heard of but never seen before)
    Knoppix just heard of it yesterday and boot up once with Knoppix CD and life is never the same again .... I hope ... with your help.

Why, too many things. too many questions ..
    Can i ask stupid questions in this forum (I've tried reading a lot of your post and is even more lost)

Q1. will changing settings (e.g. partition, security) while using Knoppix alter any settings in my pc?
    Q2. i will read more at the library but there's no book on Knoppix over here? A few good links will be very helpful.
    Q3. can i see my pc files while in Knoppix? How?
    Q4. any good tips on how to go on from here?

will be back for more if this forum spares my life and give me a life line

many thanks in advance.

Senior Member registered user
    not many questions that would be considered stupid here as far as I am conserned. we where all beginners at some time.
    as long as we see that you make an effort we will help. we wont "do your homework" but we are willing to share our knowledge.
    Q1. will changing settings (e.g. partition, security) while using Knoppix alter any settings in my pc?
    no just for the current session, that is, if you ave not CHOSEN to save configs, home...
    Q2. i will read more at the library but there's no book on Knoppix over here? A few good links will be very helpful.
    knoppix is a variant of Debian gnu linux, Linux books are easily found in libraries, bookshops...
    Q3. can i see my pc files while in Knoppix? How?
    just open them from your filemanager (konqueror). rightklick and choose open with... OO is on the CD so..
    Q4. any good tips on how to go on from here?
    read what you find interesting in these links. .
    have you tried the links on top called docs?
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/
    other than that you have the howtos, minihowto's and guides you find at TLDP
    http://www.tldp.org/
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...-formats/html/
    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/...rg/guides.html

as you see the documentation is there.
    it is sadly spread over a HUGE amount of text...
    there is ofcource other forums like this in many languages...
    just ask and be as detailed as you can, the more we know about problem/task... you want help with the easyer it is for us both, we can be more detailed and you will have a answer easyer to folow.

Member registered user
    Mic,

Here's what knoppix does:

The Knoppix iso is downloaded and burnt to a CD

If you can get your PC to boot up from CD, you can use this to load knoppix without touching your windows installation.

Play around a bit, check out all the software. You will be able to see your hard drive(s), CDs etc.

When you are ready to install to the hard drive you can run the knoppix-install script which will give you a Debian install.

Member registered user
    For a start THANKS !!!!!!!!

I'll digest all your tips & links and will be back for more

Member registered user
    Hi, just came across a piece of interesting document "LINUX NEWBIE ADMINISTRATOR GUIDE " for newbies like me linked below :

http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/

Enjoy !!!

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4899

about a book recently publisherd for Users of KNOPPIX, no less!

Good Luck,
    AJG

Member registered user
    Hello AJG,

thanks for the recommedation. Just finished the book borrowed from the local library:

it's a good guide for those who is new to the Desktop Environment, especially the KDE.

Regards
    Q

Mic Q,

As for resources, books and stuff, Linux is a combination of "many" distrobutions; RedHat, SuSE, Debian, Mandrake, the list goes on and on, and then, add into these "main" distro's, the fact that anyone can create there own "hybrid" of these distro's, like Knoppix and Kanotix, etc... and the list goes almost endlessly...

I read the "Blue Screen of Death" book, it was a good "starter" book... If you dont mind doing a little "translation" of the commands, or the terminology, just look for ANY "linux" book - I picked up a good Linux System Administrator book, true, it was written from running a RedHat distro, but, a lot of the commands are "standard" in a linux install. It gave me more info on server packages, setup, installing, and background, on what you would be running, and how. Not to mention all the "sniffer" security commands to keep your system as secure as you can...

Just look for a "Linux" book, you may not find a book specific to your distro, unless you are running one of the "MAIN" Linux OS's, you can always "soak up" the good stuff, and translate it to what distro you are running... Like RedHat, I think thats the one, uses RPM for its package installing, whereas, Debian uses the "apt" process - if the book is based on running RedHat, it will talk about using a RPM get / install process to get your packages, but you just change the RPM to DEB, and the package program from "whatever" to "APT"...

Linux is really not that difficult, not as you may think - its just different. Its new, and can be seen as "alien" to anyone. But, you have to start somewhere. You probably had the same "feelings" the first time you ran Windows, I know I did... But, the more you use something, the more you learn how to use it, how to get around, and how to do what you want to do, in it.

I've ran DOS, Win3.x, Win95, and Win98 - my thinking on Linux was seriously, like a TEXT OS, and found, with the help of Knoppix, my thinking was unfounded. After over 15 years of Windows, with no information on Linux, in just under a year, I am starting to "forget" what I knew in Windows, and am starting to think in "Linux" now... You learn what "files" you need to work with, what they contain, and what they change. You learn what commands you use, for what, and why. You learn what programs you use, for what, why, and what they are used for. For me, I learn by "total emersion", so, I ditched my Windows, installed Knoppix, and started learning, I had to, if I wanted to get my system the way I thought it would be in Windows. For me, it worked, and this forum helped emensely ( considering a majority of the "post count" I have has been in questions on "how do I do this?" stuff ).

I now think in Linux, not Windows. I process commands, and programs, in Linux. I do everything in Linux, now. Yeah, it took time, but, I think it was worth it. Linux, to me, has been "empowering" to me, and my system. I have "complete" control over my system, whereas, with Windows, I felt it was more in control than I was, letting me do a few things here, and a few things there, but never giving me "complete" control. If I feel that something is amiss, even down at the OS level, I can scream through the source code on my Kernel, and see if anyone has done anything, if I want, I can. You cant do that with Windows, GOD forbid, mighty Redmond Microsoft, would allow such a serious breach of secure code to be seen by the "public"... ( come to think of it, I dont think I would ever want to look at the source code for any Windows OS, if the OS is that unstable, insecure, etc... the code must reflect it, imho )

Oh well, Mic Q, sorry to hear that Knoppix isnt going to work on your older system, hopefully you find some distro that will work for you, and, I hope, you can get a good Linux running. Linux is the best ( imho ), it has its issues, but at least the majority of them arent in the VIRUS, Security Patch, buggy, pot-holed security area. 97% of the security updates I get from "Debian's security" allerts are in packages that I dont even run, and the ones I do run, mostly, are from being a "server", and having "remote access" to your system, which I dont have them enabled, and a good firewall...

Reminds me of a good "Linux" T-shirt I saw on "thinkgeek.com" - basically taking a "poke" at the Windows World: Have you applied your security patches today?

Linux is different, that is for sure, it has a little "learning curve" to it, but not any more than anything "new" does. Linux is also better than anything else, on one more count. What makes Linux better, than say, Windows, is, that it is built on the knowledge and tallents of many "engenious" people. These people "volunteer" there time, and talents, to the future of Linux. They write the programs, the packages, the kernel, and they test, and they run, Linux. These people can be "contacted", and are within "touch" with the people who run what they create. I think that has its advantages. I also think that Linux has a lot of great people behind it, beside it, and running in front of it, from those who create it, to those who support it. Just try to get in contact with the "guy" who wrote the "dial-up connection" code for Windows, yeah, like that is ever going to happen - in Linux, its in the code, direct, and accountable, and best of all, these "creators" want to hear from people who find problems with something they created. ( Microsoft "really" doesnt want to hear from lil'ol me, they would just shine me over, besides, they would just tell me that it "might" be fixed in the next security update, anyway )

Funny thing is, I wouldn't be surprised that M$ runs something other than Windows on its systems... Do they "honestly" have to apply there own security patches, or fend off all the VIRI attacks like the rest of us? I dont think so... So, why does the "general" public have to, then?

Ok, one last "poke" at M$, from computergear.com ( a T-shirt )
    USE THE BEST
    Linux for servers
    Macintosh for graphics
    Palm for mobility
    Windows for solitaire

I'm gone,
    Ms. Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Ok, one last "poke" at M$, from computergear.com ( a T-shirt )
    USE THE BEST
    Linux for servers
    Macintosh for graphics
    Palm for mobility
    Windows for solitaire

I'm gone,
    Ms. Cuddles
    Wrong!
    Once you get used to Kpat you'll never go back to Windows sol.
    Windows is only for stuff I can't get to work in linux. Right now that is 1)TurboCad 2) PhotoRecord (really user friendly photo album & printer program for my Canon camera...my wife loves it and 3) Bunches of department store kids games.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast