Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts

Junior Member registered user
    dear sneakerski I've got the same problem but i can't figure out how to solve problem...
    just a little help ...

Quote Originally Posted by sneakerski
    i played around some with permissions of /tmp and /var/tmp and for some reason, after doing that i was able to get it to work
    thanks for looking into the problem, and overall a great howto (the apt-get front end helped me so much, coming from gentoo's emerge)

Member registered user
    Hello manage to remaster using this How To. Thanks a lot for this the only questions I have is if i want to change background, startup html page like that info about knoppix? Where and in which stage of remastering i should do it?
    Plus is it possible to change the background of boot loader? and that small window which shows what is loaded during booting to X?

Cheers

Nikolay

Member registered user
    Hello,
    Have a question.. I followed this How To on remastering the cd but at the remastered CD whenever KDE starts the KDE mix starts as well? Does anyone met this problem?

Nikolay

Senior Member registered user
    I need to spend some time investigating the problems that people are running into. The earliest will be this coming weekend.

Quickly:
    change background, startup html page like that info about knoppix? Where and in which stage of remastering i should do it?
    Plus is it possible to change the background of boot loader?
    I could be wrong, but I think the background is set via 45xsession.
    Startup HTML page is in the Knoppix.build/KNOPPIX.Master directory.
    The boot loader is isolinux. Google isolinux for for info.
    and that small window which shows what is loaded during booting to X?
    I do not understand this one. Please elaborate.
    remastered CD whenever KDE starts the KDE mix starts as well? Does anyone met this problem?
    Yes. When you exit KDE and drop back to the command line, either KDE is saving your session (and keeps KMix open for the next session) or KMix is not staying in the icon tray as it should. I get around this by manually closing KMix before I exit KDE.
    I hope this helps.

I need more time to address everyone's concerns.
    Thanks,
    James

kmix, background image info and kmenu probs

Re the kmix problem, I too had the same problem when remastering fior the first time. I don't even have sound on my test box, but I remastered and it went away. I have remastered a few times since and it did not show up again. I suspect I clicked on something in the kde control centre that made it happen the first time.

re the background image, the following proved useful for me in conjunction with the great HOWTO by Underscore.

It's from http://www.knoppix-std.org/docs/customize.html the site also has some info on how to insert default cheat codes etc into syslinux.cfg I also read somewhere else that you may need to pad out the syslinux.cfg file if u edit it, so just add or subtract the hashes at the end of the file to match the number of characters that you added or subtracted from the original file.

Edit your preferences: The preferences for the knoppix user account are set under /etc/skel/. For instance, the KDE K-Menu can be found under: /etc/skel/.kde/share/applnk/. This gets copied to the /home/knoppix directory on boot. Other preferences you might want to configure:

/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig : knoppix boot options, like which windows manager to load
    /etc/skel/.mozilla/knoppix/ujixazk6.slt/bookmarks.html : Mozilla bookmarks
    /etc/skel/.kde/share/config/kickerrc : KDE Kicker panel
    /usr/local/lib/knoppix.jpg and /cdrom/KNOPPIX/background.jpg : background image : 1024x768
    /usr/share/apps/ksplash/pics/splash_top.png : KDE loading splash screen : 400x244

You can also create users and set passwords while in the chroot'ed environment.

Now my current problem is getting my kmenu modifications to stick after compressing and making the iso. My remaster remains intact but the new iso puts back all the kmenu items that I removed, back to default kmenu. Kmenu items for new software additions appear to remain however? Anyone found a solution to that?

have fun!

Member registered user
    2 stest - It's great. Thanks a lot thats exactly information that i ve been looking for.

2 James - Thanks for your effort.

Thanks

Nikolay

Member registered user

Re: kmix, background image info and kmenu probs

Quote Originally Posted by stest
    Now my current problem is getting my kmenu modifications to stick after compressing and making the iso. My remaster remains intact but the new iso puts back all the kmenu items that I removed, back to default kmenu. Kmenu items for new software additions appear to remain however? Anyone found a solution to that?

have fun!
    Probably you are missing the step of removing original /etc/skel dirctory and replacing it with you customized /home/<username> directory mentioned in the HOWTO.

Check it and reply.

Quote Originally Posted by raj1478

have fun!
    Probably you are missing the step of removing original /etc/skel dirctory and replacing it with you customized /home/<username> directory mentioned in the HOWTO.

Check it and reply.
    G'day Raj,

Sadly I have tried that, suspect that something in the 45xsession script is overwriting my custom kde menu. Just need to figure out how kde menu changes are done, which files etc, and work from there.

Simple task when I get enough time to do it!

It does work fine if I use a persistent home dir. So it is possible, and the files are in the /home/knoppix dir and the /etc/skel when moved. They just don't get loaded so I can only assume that a default set of files is being used instead.

Cheers

Member registered user

G'day Raj,

Sadly I have tried that, suspect that something in the 45xsession script is overwriting my custom kde menu. Just need to figure out how kde menu changes are done, which files etc, and work from there.

Simple task when I get enough time to do it!

It does work fine if I use a persistent home dir. So it is possible, and the files are in the /home/knoppix dir and the /etc/skel when moved. They just don't get loaded so I can only assume that a default set of files is being used instead.

Cheers
    Hi,
    I too faced this problem a few times. But I don't know what exactly is the solution. As far as my experience is concerned. The best way to cutomize the menus is to boot knoppix with "knoppix 2". Then copy the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to you custom knoppix's /etc/X11 directory. Then chroot into it. Mount proc, "su - <username>" (if you are customizing it otherwise it will be "knoppix") and "starkde". The step of su - <username> is important otherwise it will change menus of "root" account!!!

If the problem still persists, then try by replacing all "resync -Ha --ignore-existing" commands in 45xsession by "\cp -uaR"

Good Luck

Member registered user
    this how to is really good!

can you make it sticky?!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast