Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts

OK, maybe it's just me but...

When I run the script for remastering, copy the files from the CD and then I go to chroot, the shell is all messed up. Carraige returns don't work (drop down to another line) and what I type doesn't show up. The text is entered, because I can run a command, hit Enter and it executes, but I can see what I initally entered in. I have used knoppix 2 vga=normal thinking it was a screen thing, but still no joy. i am using 0.1-6 version of the script, but 0.1-5 does the same thing. This happens at a computer at work and at home, with different CDs even, so it isn't related to that.

Is there something I am doing wrong or something that needs to be altered in the script to make the shell behave correctly?

Thanks

Member registered user
    I dont't know, but I have same problem.
    Probably a bug.

Senior Member registered user
    You are correct. It is a bug and it happens randomly with practically any computer. When that happens I type exit or CTRL-D and completely quit the remaster menu script. If it seems to lock up the console I use ALT-F2 or ALT-F3 to get another console. Then I ps aux | grep remaster to get the PID of the script and kill with kill -9 PID.
    I hope this helps.
    James

Member registered user

Re: kmix, background image info and kmenu probs

Quote Originally Posted by raj1478
    [Hi,
    I too faced this problem a few times. But I don't know what exactly is the solution. As far as my experience is concerned. The best way to cutomize the menus is to boot knoppix with "knoppix 2". Then copy the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to you custom knoppix's /etc/X11 directory. Then chroot into it. Mount proc, "su - <username>" (if you are customizing it otherwise it will be "knoppix") and "starkde". The step of su - <username> is important otherwise it will change menus of "root" account!!!

If the problem still persists, then try by replacing all "resync -Ha --ignore-existing" commands in 45xsession by "\cp -uaR"

Good Luck
    Also give a look at /usr/share/applnk/ directory. Make sure it reflects the changes you made to menus. Probabaly this problem is because of these resynch command, which restore default menus from this directory.

Tell the results....

Junior Member registered user

problem booting.

Hi,

I went thru this guide twice. very good guide, well done.

however in both times I couldnt get the new burned CD to run properly,
    I trie on several computers it gives different errors but the same kind, like he cant find something, might be HD ?.

if anyone can help me it will be greatly appreciated,

when its booting it displays this:

Welcome to the KNOPPIX live linux CD
    <checking hardware>

Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/scd0...
    Total Memory foun: 482000kb
    Creating /ramdisk (dynamic size=379996k) on shared memory...Done
    Creating directories on Symlink on ram disk... **Errors start running**

at the end it looks like many errors of:
    I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 102960

cloop: Read error at pos 4730000 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, 31247 bytes lost.
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 2373 65536/0/31247/0 4732401-47403648
    Done.
    Starting init process.

more errors
    kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-0000, errorno=5
    kernel panic: No Init found. try passing init= option to kernel

If you received no errors or odd messages during the remastering process then it seems you are suffering from a bad CDR burn speed, or bad CDR media, or bad CDROM drives. This is sometimes hard to narrow down & I had to use 2 different burners on 2 different PCs with 2 different CDR media to confirm that it was the CDR media brand and not my remastered ISO image. You may search the forums or see this google search to get a second opinion.
    I hope this helps.
    James

thanks

Thanks Man,
    i reduced the burning speed to x10 and the CD is now fully working!

thanks alot!

now the real work starts

Another problem, please help

Hi,

I encounter a strange error,
    I tried it several times but nothing seems to work,
    I try to change the menus so I do like it says,
    everything works fine.
    if I quit with ctrl-D and come back again the menus are as I configured and its all good.
    however when I burn it I get default KNOPPIX theme with thier menus.

I made sure to overwrite /etc/skel and I made sure that I made the change on line 128 correct however it looks like
    for the menus it takes them from somewhere else.

can anyone please help me ?

update:
    (sorry dude, didnt meant get you or anyone upset with the quote thing , just thought it would help)

I changed all the refrences of rsynch to cp like said in the comments above and it made even more mess
    now I get totally different results.

I did followed the HOWTO step by step (a lot of times).

however I almost sure there is a problem with customizing the menu,
    changing this line (with the 9th rsynch) not resolving, maybe it should be cp instead of rsynch only on this line and line after.

I will work on it tomorrow and update onthe results hopefully it will be good.

thanks alot for the quick replays and this for making this HOWTO, its just great.

thank you.

Re: Another problem, please help

Quote Originally Posted by moran
    Hi,

I encounter a strange error,
    I tried it several times but nothing seems to work,
    I try to change the menus so I do like it says,
    everything works fine.
    if I quit with ctrl-D and come back again the menus are as I configured and its all good.
    however when I burn it I get default KNOPPIX theme with thier menus.

I made sure to overwrite /etc/skel and I made sure that I made the change on line 128 correct however it looks like
    for the menus it takes them from somewhere else.

can anyone please help me ?
    First, please edit your post and delete the quoted HOWTO from your post as it is annoying to quote the entire thing and will only serve to confuse search engines.

Second, as I have provided exact steps & exact commands in the HOWTO, you must provide the same level of completeness. In order to figure this out so that all people can benefit, I will need your exact commands and also the very detailed info of any deviations you have made from the HOWTO. I have run the HOWTO commands verbatim ( in a ssh windows & I was able to copy & paste them) so I know that they work. This means I have a high confidence level of the HOWTO. This seems to point out that people who are having problems are doing something different.

Third, I think some of the problems people are having are due to booting Knoppix differently. Notice in the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file that there is more than one rsync command. These separate rsync commands are used to make changes to the /home/knoppix directory based on how the user is booting knoppix (ie: as a normal Knoppix sesssion, as a saved on floppy or USB knoppix session, or a poor man's install).

Thanks,
    James

Member registered user
    I have the same probelem, I followed the exact steps as in How To, When I was working in X I used the Menu Edit and create a new item in the menu, but after i burned the cd it wasn't there. Something overwrited it.
    Have a question. what if just before making a compressed filesystem boot from a cd, make changes and then synchronise with an unpacked system on a hard drive
    Code:
    sudo rsync -a /home/knoppix/ /mnt/hda2/remaster/etc/skel/
    and then finish off the remastering as usual boot from run level 2, run the script and so on..
    maybe it will work?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast