Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PocketPC syncing with SynCE and patching the kernel driver.

Senior Member registered user

PocketPC syncing with SynCE and patching the kernel driver.

I need help.

The instructions at http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/usbpatch.php are for patching the kernel driver so that you can establish a usb connection to your pocketPC. The problem is that as far as I understand, this requries the kernel source. I can't make a working kernel source. I have tried for days and frankly after reinstalling linux 8 times in 72 hours, I'm not interested in trying again. Last time, which I thought went just fine, left my computer unbotable.

What I want to know, is if, judgeing by the instructions at the website above, there is some other way to add the appropriate lines to the kernel and how I can go about doing that. My vender ID is 413c and my product ID is 4001 At the moment my linux install is not bootable because of my last attempt at making a kernel and it will stay that way untill I have time for reinstall number 9.

I would appreciate any plain english help. Thanks in advance.

from that page, you need to compile something, at least ipaq.o.

Seems that the linux design(based on this page) is real bad in terms of supporting this kind of device. fixing the kernel source(at least some header files) and recompile when there is new device type coming out of the market ? They should really borrow a page or two from M$.

I can't agree with you more, though in their defense, all USB devices broadcast a vender ID and Product ID that tells the opperating system what it is. The problem with PocketPC's is that each new device has a new and unique product ID. They don't all use one ID. So a new driver must be realesed with EVERY pocketPC. And in fact, even in windows, only a handfull of the 20 or 30 models produced are recognized without first installing an extra driver from the manufacturer.

Yes, but in window you never need to touch the kernel, just drop in some driver files and some changes to the registry.

Agreed again.

Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Yes, but in window you never need to touch the kernel, just drop in some driver files and some changes to the registry.
    Perhaps, but that could be because they co-operate with m$ for fear of the m$ mafia!! It's true Linux does tend to lag in some areas- but just wait......m$ is pissing off customers at a faster rate every day and it won't be long - literally before Linux is the #1 OS shipped on new servers- it's only a matter of time from there fellas. Our local school district recently budgeted $650,000 for m$ licenses alone! Fortunately out local LUG is making a hell of a run at sending m$ packing with the help of awesome Linux tools like Knoppix!

"In a world without fences who needs Gates?"

I don't want to see people switch to Linux because M$ pissed off the customers, I want to see people switch because it is a better product. I haven't studied the latest linux architecture yet but the need to hand code some ids in the source/header files in order to add new device(USB especially) is a definite no no to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Perhaps, but that could be because they co-operate with m$ for fear of the m$ mafia!! It's true Linux does tend to lag in some areas- but just wait......m$ is pissing off customers at a faster rate every day and it won't be long - literally before Linux is the #1 OS shipped on new servers- it's only a matter of time from there fellas. Our local school district recently budgeted $650,000 for m$ licenses alone! Fortunately out local LUG is making a hell of a run at sending m$ packing with the help of awesome Linux tools like Knoppix!

"In a world without fences who needs Gates?"

As much as I hate to say it, I must agree. Linux is vastly superior in many areas, but when it comes to hardware configuration, it doesn't hold a candle to MS. I still haven't gotten SynCE working, and I won't for a LONG time unless I find somewhere to get valid knoppix kernel source because I have proven beyond a doubt that it's beyond my abilities t this point in my knowledge of linux.

At the risk of stearing this back on-topic, It looks like the whole kernel doesn't need to be recompiled, just the ipaq.c and ipaq.h which I guess, compile together for ipaq.o

Anyway, all I need is a version of this file compiled from ipaq.c and ipaq.h files that have ben modified according to the website I posted above. Please, if there is anybod y that can either do this and send me the file or explain in plain english how it's done, I'd be eternaly greatful.

Come on, somebody MUST know how to do this. Ive looked, but I can't find the answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast