Thread: need help installing

need help installing

i need some help installing this. i'm new at linux and am not sure what to do. i downloaded knoppix 3.4 livecd and it boots fine on my one machine but this starts to boot then come up with a blank screen and just sits there.

it is on a different machine. i'm about to try it on the machine that will bott knoppix 3.4

any ideas?

well i tried it in the machine that boots the regular knoppix 3.4 live cd and it gets to the knoppix startup screen and nothing else happens....

any ideas?
    thanks

EDIT: system specs are: P4 1.6ghz 256 mb pc2700 RAM 80GB HDD (the one that boots knoppix 3.4) PII 233mhz (can get a 400) 256mb pc100 RAM 20GB HDD (the one that doesn't boot)

anyone????

Senior Member registered user
    Huh? What you say makes no sense to me. Does Knoppix boot or not?
    Try using some of the cheatcodes and post some hardware details.

o i'm sorry. i just realized that this forum is for knoppix the regular version.

i'm building a folding-farm and am using knoppix as the server, i downloaded a version that all ready configed for folding and can't get it to work. the site links to this forum. the version i have is called overclockix LTSP 2.1 i think. but i also have the knoppix 3.4 livecd. the livecd boots fine on my machine but the other one i have (overclockix) will boot to a blank screen on one machine and to the knoppix loading page on another.

sorry for the problems, i have been working 6 hour days plus 6 hours at school everyday.

does that help any? and what are the cheat codes you are talking about?

EDIT: the website is: http://overclockix.octeams.com/

try this cheatcode: knoppix xmodule=fbdev

ok well i don' know how to use a cheat code so thats a no go.

i started reading the "dos" like text when booting and there are errors from the cd-rom like cant read file from cd-rom xxxxbytes lost etc.

i tried burning another copy of the iso but it didn't help any.

Quote Originally Posted by spyda05
    ok well i don' know how to use a cheat code so thats a no go.
    When you initally boot the disk. you should get a basic screen with a promt before the kernel boots (like a boot loader). That prompt is where you would enter the cheat code. You can give commands for the kernel to use during boot. In this case you are specifying which module XFree should use for the display. That can help if there is a display problem.

does it say Boot: ? if so then i tried that code and it still didn't work. i still get the errors.

F2 at that screen to see more cheats.