Thread: Installation by the numbers ???

Installation by the numbers ???

... So far I've tried to install about four versions of Linux and all of them had problems finding my hardware.(Mouse ect)

... Knoppix on the other hand finds everything and will happily surf the web for me and I can use Gmail with no problems, but only running it from the CD!

... I have not managed to get it installed and therefore I can not bookmark websites or download things from the web.

... I think Knoppix needs an installation primer to install the program step by step ie:

Do this...then do this, then do this.... ect!

... This is where Knoppix falls down! It runs great but is difficult to install!

...Even better would be an install disk to automate the installation as most other distributions have.

Member registered user
    Have you tried knoppix-installer (V3.6) in /usr/sbin directory? It is a menu driven installer where you can define configuration parameters, partition the disk, copy the system to HD and automatically set up all the necessary files for proper booting and running from HD?

Senior Member registered user

Re: Installation by the numbers ???

Quote Originally Posted by Rhymer75
    ... So far I've tried to install about four versions of Linux and all of them had problems finding my hardware.(Mouse ect)

... Knoppix on the other hand finds everything and will happily surf the web for me and I can use Gmail with no problems, but only running it from the CD!

... I have not managed to get it installed and therefore I can not bookmark websites or download things from the web.

... I think Knoppix needs an installation primer to install the program step by step ie:

Do this...then do this, then do this.... ect!

... This is where Knoppix falls down! It runs great but is difficult to install!

...Even better would be an install disk to automate the installation as most other distributions have.
    If all you want is too save bookmarks and such Persistant home might be your thing. Go to the knoppix menu (little penguin icon) and seardch for persistant home.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F
    Have you tried knoppix-installer (V3.6) in /usr/sbin directory? It is a menu driven installer where you can define configuration parameters, partition the disk, copy the system to HD and automatically set up all the necessary files for proper booting and running from HD?
    ... Geeesh! I don't even know how to find that directory steve! I don't see any signposts pointing to it or any place to download it from!

I'll certainly try it if I can find it!

Member registered user
    You can start in the Docs link above. There is a FAQ on HD install at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqInstall .

You should be able to type knoppix-installer from a shell after kde starts up. I referenced /usr/sbin because that's where the script is located in case you wanted to 'look inside'. It sounds like that might be a little beyond your knowledge for now. Keep looking at docs and other posts in the HD Install forum.