smorty;

Pleased to hear your story about TORAM success. Your use of ups is the last chink in the chain!.

I load my system from hd at a 35MB/sec rate and it loads the DVD of 2.1GB to desktop in 2min and 5 secs.

I am not aware of any possible apt-get with the compressed file system on the ram disk. It is compressed and is decompressed on-the-fly.

Perhaps your 2.6 will boot and load if you modify the boot parameters. I had to change the details to permit boot and load of the DVD remaster which I am using at present.

I note that Klaus"s script uses size values in kB but the DVD uses MB.

I have a combo of Klaus's script and the DVD remaster to enable the boot of the DVD with swap partitions totalling 4GB. I use USB for swaphd at present, probably will try that drive in "C" position today.

I partitioned a drive with no MBR using qtparted to generate a four partition hdd, 500mb ext2, 2GB swap, 2Gbswap ,4GB ext2 and rest of 80GB free. The swap files are recognized and the 4GB file holds the DVD KNOPPIX data for HDD boot.

I, too, enjoy the ram running system, I try to shut down all drives and call up USB units if storage or input is required.

The DVD uses all but 7MB of ram as presently loaded so I have run into x86 ram limits with my first shot.

Knoppix CD however has 2.2+gb of free ram when loaded so it is more capable of accepting input without requiring swap. It has fewer programs but certainly isn't short on performance.

To complete my system I need to install an LCD display to reduce the power waste of the CRT display.

One further possibility to reduce power drain, use modified ram modules from laptop sticks which I note at least one user has done. They run at lower voltages.

My system has 3GB 2100DDRAM in an athlon1900+ mobo a7v333.

Perhaps you will soon be able to run 2.6 in your computer, if I can help?

Best to you...

Ray