Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KnoppixCD boot with 3GB of ram...toram..experiment(success)

Senior Member registered user
    smorty;

Pleased to hear your story about TORAM success. Your use of ups is the last chink in the chain!.

I load my system from hd at a 35MB/sec rate and it loads the DVD of 2.1GB to desktop in 2min and 5 secs.

I am not aware of any possible apt-get with the compressed file system on the ram disk. It is compressed and is decompressed on-the-fly.

Perhaps your 2.6 will boot and load if you modify the boot parameters. I had to change the details to permit boot and load of the DVD remaster which I am using at present.

I note that Klaus"s script uses size values in kB but the DVD uses MB.

I have a combo of Klaus's script and the DVD remaster to enable the boot of the DVD with swap partitions totalling 4GB. I use USB for swaphd at present, probably will try that drive in "C" position today.

I partitioned a drive with no MBR using qtparted to generate a four partition hdd, 500mb ext2, 2GB swap, 2Gbswap ,4GB ext2 and rest of 80GB free. The swap files are recognized and the 4GB file holds the DVD KNOPPIX data for HDD boot.

I, too, enjoy the ram running system, I try to shut down all drives and call up USB units if storage or input is required.

The DVD uses all but 7MB of ram as presently loaded so I have run into x86 ram limits with my first shot.

Knoppix CD however has 2.2+gb of free ram when loaded so it is more capable of accepting input without requiring swap. It has fewer programs but certainly isn't short on performance.

To complete my system I need to install an LCD display to reduce the power waste of the CRT display.

One further possibility to reduce power drain, use modified ram modules from laptop sticks which I note at least one user has done. They run at lower voltages.

My system has 3GB 2100DDRAM in an athlon1900+ mobo a7v333.

Perhaps you will soon be able to run 2.6 in your computer, if I can help?

Best to you...

Ray

Junior Member registered user
    To try to get toram working with the 2.6 kernel I've tried lots of combinations of
    boot options = acpi off and on, nomce/mce, noapic, pci=noapi, pci=off, etc etc.
    With some combinations it just hangs dead at startup.
    With other combinations it makes it through to the stage where it copies the cdrom
    to ram. Now with kernel 2.4 this takes about 4 minutes from the samsung cd drive
    I'm using and I get an average data transfer rate of about 4 MB/s. But with the
    2.6 kernel I only get about 200kb/s transfer rate and the time value to the right says
    45 minutes(!!). Since I don't want to wait 45 minutes I've never actually waited that
    long so for all I know it might actually run - so maybe I should have said I can't install
    it using the 2.6 kernel. I've tried using a promise tx2 ide card in case the ide on my
    mobo was unsupported in 2.6 but got exactly the same results. It looks like it's
    not using dma but is dropping down to some really slow PIO mode when it does
    the copy (although the output on the screen says that dma has been enabled for
    the cdrom drive).
    I also tried kanotix and mepis which both have 2.6 kernels and can't boot either of
    them - just hangs during boot. it's just occurred to me that maybe it's the cdrom drive
    that the problem is with, so I'l get another drive next week and try that.

Still everything works just fine with the 2.4 kernel so I'm not too worried. None of
    the software I use has any dependency on 2.6 so I'm quite happy to carry on using 2.4.

It's a bit of a shame I can't use apt-get though as that would really be nirvana,
    still if the cd image were uncompressed it might not even fit in the 4G ram I've got
    (and that maxes out my mobo's chipset, can't put any more in). Now I've got access
    to some bigger Sun boxes at work with 64G ram but I'd need the sparc version...
    and those machines don't get booted very often!!!

I'm using a samsung SM171 monitor with a matrox G450 graphics card, which gives
    a very sharp well focused image. The ups I'm using is a little APC unit I got cheap off
    a mate, only rated 500W but I'm only powering the mobo off it so should be OK for a few
    minutes. It's already stopped it going down during a 2-3 sec power blip during a storm
    last night (had to reset my video clock though!) Like I said this isn't a games machine
    but it's great for writing software and web browsing because it's so quiet.
    The hard drive is a seagate barracuda 7200.7 with the fluid bearing which is very quiet.
    The cpu fans are bog-standard cooler-master cheapies, the secret is to make yourself a
    power cable, wire a couple of fan sockets to a standard molex 4-pin socket but power the
    fans from the 5V line instead of the 12V, that makes the fans run at less than half the
    normal revs which makes them just about inaudible. But I wouldn't want to use this for gaming because it won't cool the cpu's enough. I think the athlons I'm using are borderline
    in this configuration anyway as they seem to generate a lot of heat, my bios says the
    chip temps are about 47 degrees. It's warm to touch but works fine for normal use,
    been up for a few days now and I've compiled gallons of software since I've been building
    the system and I wanted to stress it a bit anyway and it's held up fine.

Anyway I'll be interested to hear if you do more stuff to yours.

Cheers

And while I'm here I want to say a big THANKS to Herr Klaus Knopper for building
    this great knoppix cd - cheers cool dude! javascript:emoticon('')javascript:emoticon('')javascript:emoticon('')

smorty;
    Very fine system with dual cpu and all that memory!

Mine is limited to 3GB in x86 as I said before.

I understand that the cpu needed for dual cpu is many bux which leaves me out!!!

Nice to see another ram system up and running!!!

Having a good time playing with this experiement.

Best to you...

Ray

smorty;

Entered two .vob files of 1GB each into ram and played both of them simultaneously with two entries of kaboodle!!

One could develop binocular 3D with this setup!!!!

You asked me to keep you in touch!!!

Ray

Well, another thing I've got going this morning is wiring this thing up to the hifi to play
    my mp3 collection. (I know, mp3 is hardly hifi but I've got plenty to listen to)
    So I've got an old turtle-beach santa cruz (20-bit dacs) and got that hooked up to
    my tannoys through a cyrus 2 amp. I was impressed that to get the santa cruz working
    I just rebooted knoppix and the auto-detect fully configured the card without me having
    to do anything! So now I'm playing some good Steve Hillage stuff, and the nice thing
    is that there's no computer noise at all in the background Not even the laptop
    hard disk whirring that was there when I ran the stereo off laptop.

On cost, the ram was the expensive thing, I got the processors and motherboard off ebay
    for about half price, all the other bits I had lying around so it hasn't actually cost me all
    that much to set up.

So I'd like to make a plea to Klaus to keep the toram option in future versions of knoppix,
    there are definately people using it and we really like it. Also please don't take the 2.4 kernel
    away and ship a 2.6 only version.

quick hardware spec:-

mobo: MSI K7D (dual AMD athlon-MP processors)
    memory: 4GB crucial DDR PC2700
    cpus: 2 x AMD 2600 MP barton
    cpu coolers: standard cooler-master under-voltaged to 5V for silent operation
    psu: nexus 450W silent psu
    video: matrox G450 AGP
    hdd: seagate barracude 7200.7 80GB
    soundcard: turtle beach santa cruz
    monitor: samsung SM171 17" LCD
    ms optical mouse
    cherry 105-key keyboard
    case: ebuyer super-cheapie!

OPERATING SYSTEM: KNOPPIX 3.6 loaded in RAM

sound level in quiet room with PC about 2 meters away from chair: virtually inaudible

And while I'm at it:

audio system spec:

soundcard from pc connected to amp using high-spec audio cable
    amplifier: mission cyrus 2 with additional external power supply
    speakers: Mercury mX4-M
    tape deck: nakamichi LX-3
    music: Steve Hillage Live Herald!

You can tell that I'm pleased with this system
    Thanks Klaus and everyone else who made knoppix!

Ray, is there any chance I could get that dvd image from you? Could post a
    blank dvd or download it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast