Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Success with Knoppix 3.6 and wireless networking

Senior Member registered user
    well im posting this after "some" success with knoppix 3.6 kernal 2.6.7.

i tryed the drivers from a loads of places none ever working till today i used the drivers that came with my wireless card cd.

i will print up the infomation and send it to the makers of ndiswrapper. because it should be helpfull to other people.

i copied the drivers from the cd that came with my wireless card to my desktop while using knoppix. opened up ndiswrapper pointed it to the direction of the inf file and it shocking enough found them :O well i then went into wlan config and tryed to config the card. but with no joy. i dont have any idea how to put in the wep key correctly.

i tryed to config everything right but there was some things that i know i didnt do right because it never fully worked. i will read over the sticky page (again) and save it to disk so i can read it while in knoppix.

i will report back if i have any real success.

thank you for shareing your infomation

pureone

Junior Member registered user

How to detect Linksys USB wireless network adapter

Hi all, I'm trying to access the internet using my Linksys Wireless-B WUSB11 Network Adapter. When I run "iwconfig", I get :-

lo no wireless extension
    eth0 no wireless extension

I don't see eth1 or wlan0. Does this mean the adapter is not detected at all. If so, how do I get it detected? When I ran ndiswrapper, I get a dialog box saying:"The ndiswrapper module has been loaded but there is no new device. Perhaps Ndiswrapper is not working with your driver file". I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank you.

Ming Hai

Member registered user

Re: How to detect Linksys USB wireless network adapter

Quote Originally Posted by minghai
    Hi all, I'm trying to access the internet using my Linksys Wireless-B WUSB11 Network Adapter. When I run "iwconfig", I get :-

lo no wireless extension
    eth0 no wireless extension

I don't see eth1 or wlan0. Does this mean the adapter is not detected at all. If so, how do I get it detected? When I ran ndiswrapper, I get a dialog box saying:"The ndiswrapper module has been loaded but there is no new device. Perhaps Ndiswrapper is not working with your driver file". I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank you.

Ming Hai
    Apologise for not getting back to you sooner; but I had a day of teaching yesterday.

Before we begin could you do two things: one, start a new thread with the same title, rather than clutter up this one; two, tell me exactly; in as much detail as possible what you have done so far in trying to get the network card going.

Cheers,

Grant D. Vallance

Member registered user
    I am having a devil of a time getting my wireless to work with my harddrive installed Knoppix 3.6. I am using a Belkin F5D7000 card. I can only get so far before the system just hangs. I think the modprobe does it. I downloaded (via Windows) another driver from the Belkin site and got the same results. If I can't get Knoppix to work with my new wireless connection, I will have to go back to Windows... One question: what if instead of DHCP I use static addresses, what should I do differently from the given instructions?

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by jMon54
    I am having a devil of a time getting my wireless to work with my harddrive installed Knoppix 3.6. I am using a Belkin F5D7000 card. I can only get so far before the system just hangs. I think the modprobe does it. I downloaded (via Windows) another driver from the Belkin site and got the same results. If I can't get Knoppix to work with my new wireless connection, I will have to go back to Windows... One question: what if instead of DHCP I use static addresses, what should I do differently from the given instructions?
    A couple of things:

1. Rather than clog this thread up; could you please start another thread, say with the title: Trouble with Knoppix 3.6 and Belkin F5D7000 -- and I'll try and be of assistance

2. In that thread could you tell me exactly where things hang?

3. The name of the driver you are using and the version of the card you are using?

4. It does not necessarily follow that if you fail to get Knoppix to work with your wireless connection you have to go back to M$ -- your choice of course. There are many other fine distributions of Linux that are likely to work -- indeed one comes from your neck of the woods -- MEPIS.

5. I little idea what you do differently if you use static addresses, as I use DHCP and am not a networking guru. In any case, I doubt it is this issue that is causing your system to hang.

Cheers,

Grant D. Vallance

Banned

Worked like a charm

Thanks for the info on the wifi card! I worked just like you said.... for months now I've been getting errors because of my encryption being turned on. I turned it off and poof, just like magic! Thanks for the advice.

WIFI Success

Thanks Grant and other users for your posts on getting WIFI to work.

I have an HP Notebook ze5600ca with built in WIFI and WinXP Home. I was able to get the WIFI working with help from your posts.
    I found the name and location of the Windows WIFI driver in WinXP, then I started up Knoppix and clicked on the Penquin icon at the bottom left of the screen and ran ndiswrapper and pointed it to the Window driver location.
    I then ran the WLAN program, also from the Penquin location and I just chose all the default values.

I am not too sure if the next step is necessary but to get the WIFI functioning for this session I had to go to the network card confiquration program and run it. I didn't think I had to do that the previous session?

This got my Notebook to connect with a neighbours WIFI which apparently is not locked down.

Bill

Member registered user

Re: WIFI Success

Quote Originally Posted by ssfc72
    Thanks Grant and other users for your posts on getting WIFI to work.

I have an HP Notebook ze5600ca with built in WIFI and WinXP Home. I was able to get the WIFI working with help from your posts.
    I found the name and location of the Windows WIFI driver in WinXP, then I started up Knoppix and clicked on the Penquin icon at the bottom left of the screen and ran ndiswrapper and pointed it to the Window driver location.
    I then ran the WLAN program, also from the Penquin location and I just chose all the default values.

I am not too sure if the next step is necessary but to get the WIFI functioning for this session I had to go to the network card confiquration program and run it. I didn't think I had to do that the previous session?

This got my Notebook to connect with a neighbours WIFI which apparently is not locked down.

Bill
    I am wondering what precisely your question is -- at least one that I may answer ...

I have no idea what you did in the previous session; but running the network config prog. is a possibility.

I should also add two comments: (1) If you have a particular query start a new thread titled specifically rather than clog this one up; (2) encryption and ndiswrapper are commonly not happy bedfellows.

I am pleased to have been of some assistance.

Cheers,

Grant D. Vallance

Just what I have been looking for

Great post Grant. I have been searching for weeks on how to get wifi to work, but I couldn't find anything as helpful, detailed, or easy to follow as your post. Thank you for bringing me one step closer to freeing myself from Microsoft.

-Fox

ndiswrapper - network card configuration

Knoppix 3.6 running on IBM Thinkpad A21m w/SMC2635W after several installs.

Knoppix hangs while booting w/card inserted. Where can I find a log of this? I think syslog but I'm green so....

Remove card, reboot. Insert card, NDISWRAPPER seems to work as the light on the card starts to flash indiacating driver is working. In order to get an IP I have to run the network configuration program.

I'd like to know how I could make this automatic and I'd like to find the log so I can post it and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to solve boot hang issue.

I'd also like to find a Remote Desktop program that will allow me to connect to my XP box from Knoppix and one for XP allowing me to connect to Knoppix. Does this exist?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast