• creative (audigy/audigy2)

2 13.33%
  • both

8 53.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nvidia & audigy integrated drivers

Member registered user

nvidia & audigy integrated drivers

please please please please, I can't see why nvidia would object at all to their latest officially released drivers being included as some people have suggested, nvidia cards are so common it would just be a godsend for it to detect them and install nvidias properly accelerated drivers.

as for audigy, my audigy 2 simply doesn't work with knoppix atm

I dont have a gig of ram, so i can't remaster knoppix myself + tbh my linux knowledge wouldn't stretch anywhere near that far yet

i would have put ATI in the poll but they dont appear to have any linux drivers on their website...

Junior Member registered user
    I can't see why nvidia would object either but there must be some reason that I've never seen a distro with nvidia opengl drivers included.

Senior Member registered user

they simply don't allow it

nvidias license clearly states that is is forbidden to use it then for redistribution, but knoppix is redistributable and shall remain it ...

However for audigy 2 and other ac97-codecs there is a solution shining at the sky ...

... alsa ...

but there needs to be some option, that it is only autodetected on demand to not have some drivers crash or freeze the system ...

cu

Fabian

Member registered user

acording to aay

nvidia dont mind their linux drivers being redistributed

"Alex was able to include the Nvidia drivers because of the "linux exception" in Nvidia's license.

"2.1.2 Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files)."

The nice thing about this is anyone can include them. The entire license is <a href ="http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nv_swlicense"> here</a>"

Re: acording to aay

Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo
    nvidia dont mind their linux drivers being redistributed

"Alex was able to include the Nvidia drivers because of the "linux exception" in Nvidia's license.

"2.1.2 Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files)."

The nice thing about this is anyone can include them. The entire license is <a href ="http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nv_swlicense"> here</a>"
    I'm sorry. I contacted Klaus and this won't work for knoppix.

- First: Its an binary driver that taints the kernel. (ideologic reason)

- Second: Klaus modifies the binary files (compress them into cloop). (legal reason)

- Third: People that copy the CD and redistribute it had to agree to this license and that he can't persuade all of them to do so ..

- 4th: License is contraproductive to the work of XFree-Team. He can't support that.

cu

Fabian

Re: they simply don't allow it

Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    nvidias license clearly states that is is forbidden to use it then for redistribution
    Fabian,

I'm not so sure this is true. You might want to check out the license agreement which appears to include a "linux exception."

"Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files)."

Would making them available to the kernel violate this agreement?

The entire license agreement is here: http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nv_swlicense

What about the other NVidia drivers (e.g. NForce ethernet), as these are distributed in source form. I'd love my NForce motherboard to be fully supported out of the box. I'm not bothered about graphics, as nv is sufficient for my needs.

Member registered user
    can't beleive it, 173 people viewed the post, and ony SEVEN SODDING VOTES!!!?!?!?

Junior Member registered user
    Audigy cards are detected, there just aren't any drivers included to use

And you can't include the Nvidia accelerated drivers, so sorry.

Member registered user
    says who, read that license agreement mentioned above? the linux exception?

as for audigy, aaccording to other posts the new ALSA drivers which support it shoudl be included fairly soon, someons aleady done an instal lscript so you can have them with a persistent home directory =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast