Thread: Definitive Tutorial?

Junior Member registered user

Definitive Tutorial?

I have now tried installing Knoppix to hardrive several times but I keep having problems. Although it boots up from the hardrive and into KDE etc, I notice various erros while it is loading in but they go too quick to read,
    Most things appear to be working ok but I am having a lot of trouble trying to install anything and often get errors about various things missing.
    I'm just wondering if there is an up-to-date, definitive tutorial on how to perform the hdd install?
    I have found loads of information on google but nothing seems particularly recent and often different articles give slightly different information so I'm not sure which to follow.
    One thing I keep wondering is whether I am supposed to do anything in particular after the new installation boots up because I feel I'm missing something and all the articles I've found basically say type knoppix-installer and follow the instructions.
    I've been struggling with linux (first Gentoo and now Knoppix) and I just can't seem to get anywhere at all. I'm certainly not stupid and although I'm new to linux, I know my way round a computer.
    I just seem to be missing something somewhere.

Senior Member registered user
    First thanks for hanging in there with linux. It can be difficult and sometimes even frustrating.
    We were all beginners at some point. Having said that gentoo and knoppix are not exactly distros I would recommend for beginners. Maybe you want to check out the linux selection a little more? http://distrowatch.com/
    There are some linux distros known for their ease of use, and they can prepare you to get more experiance so that if later you want to try something a little different you can.
    At the link above there is a popularity column. At this time #'s 1, 2 & 4 are ease of use distros. There are others too, and you may find something that suits you better.
    In knoppix you can enter "dmesg" at a terminal to see some of the start up messages.
    you can also check in /var/log to look for various messages. Some of the files will be only accessible to root so you could use the file manager-super user mode to navigate to them and read them. (look for it in the kmenu under system)
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say you think you should be doing something after the system boots. "missing something" You can use "apt-get update" to make sure your source list is up to date. Don't do an upgrade! Not with knoppix. But you can "apt-get install (packagename) if you want a certain application. Good luck, hope this helps.

Senior Member registered user

Re: Definitive Tutorial?

Quote Originally Posted by fannymites
    I have now tried installing Knoppix to hardrive several times but I keep having problems. Although it boots up from the hardrive and into KDE etc, I notice various erros while it is loading in but they go too quick to read,
    Most things appear to be working ok but I am having a lot of trouble trying to install anything and often get errors about various things missing.
    I'm just wondering if there is an up-to-date, definitive tutorial on how to perform the hdd install?
    I have found loads of information on google but nothing seems particularly recent and often different articles give slightly different information so I'm not sure which to follow.
    One thing I keep wondering is whether I am supposed to do anything in particular after the new installation boots up because I feel I'm missing something and all the articles I've found basically say type knoppix-installer and follow the instructions.
    I've been struggling with linux (first Gentoo and now Knoppix) and I just can't seem to get anywhere at all. I'm certainly not stupid and although I'm new to linux, I know my way round a computer.
    I just seem to be missing something somewhere.
    I should think you would find Knoppix a breeze after Gentoo!

For Hd install, do a knoppix type install & follow the instructions should do it. It should run just like the CD. Perhaps the 'errors' you are seeing are not actually errors, just reports of what is happening. You can press ctrl-s to suspend execution of the script so you can read them. You can also ctrl-f2 after it is up & running which will drop you to a console mode & you should be able to scroll back & see most of the startup messages. Most actual errors can be found by typing dmesg in a console.

Important thing is: does it run properly once it is up & running? If not, post what the problem is & someone will probably have a solution.

For a brief overview of installing applications see this post:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14372
    If you get 'various things missing' (eg xxxapplication cannot find library xxy), apt-get install the application. You might as well upgrade to the latest version, so use apt-get -t unstable <application> which will upgrade to the latest version available.