Thread: Linksys WPC11 ver. 4 Wireless Notebook Adapter

Linksys WPC11 ver. 4 Wireless Notebook Adapter

Has anyone been able to get a Linksys WPC11 ver. 4 Wireless Notebook Adapter to work in Knoppix?

I used a Knoppix CD for the first time yesterday. Knoppix recongized all of my hardware except for my wireless card. I have a wireless network using WEP. If anyone has gotten this to work or has some suggestions of what might work please let me know what steps I should take?

I also have a Netgear USB phoneline home network adapter (I think the model is PA101) that I could use also, if someone can give me some advice on how to get that working?

This is my first experience with Linux, so I would need step by step instruction.

Thanks.

Member registered user

Re: Linksys WPC11 ver. 4 Wireless Notebook Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by trylinux
    Has anyone been able to get a Linksys WPC11 ver. 4 Wireless Notebook Adapter to work in Knoppix?

I used a Knoppix CD for the first time yesterday. Knoppix recongized all of my hardware except for my wireless card. I have a wireless network using WEP. If anyone has gotten this to work or has some suggestions of what might work please let me know what steps I should take?

I also have a Netgear USB phoneline home network adapter (I think the model is PA101) that I could use also, if someone can give me some advice on how to get that working?

This is my first experience with Linux, so I would need step by step instruction.

Thanks.
    Hello,

I haven't got the card to work, but I think I can help, although I have only been playing with Linux for a month or so, hence I am really new too.

Indeed, the only thing I have some experience of is getting wireless networking working.

First, a quick google found this site: http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/resources/howtos/linksysv4/

Which gives instructions in Linux Geek about how to get your card working. As I understand it, the recommended packages (apart from the driver) are part of the Knoppix 3.6 distribution, although I am not sure of the top of my head which gcc package it is.

The only problem, I guess, is that you are playing with the live CD, and have not installed Knoppix on to hard drive yet; I have not either ... And probably given your comments above, you don't understand Linux Geek.

Again I guess, that it is not particularly feasible to use the above instructions, even if you could follow them to get your card going.

The other option is to use the Windows drivers that came with your card and ndiswrapper.

Ndiswrapper is a program that allows Knoppix to use windows wireless networking drivers under Linux. It works quite well too: I have managed to get a couple of Belkin cards working which uses the Broadcom chipset.

There are detailed instructions on how I did it with my Belkin cards on the sticky post Success with Knoppix 3.6 and Wireless Networking, which you could probably adapt.

In a nutshell, what you need to do is:
    1. Create a top level directory e.g. C:\Linksys in windows and copy the relevant Winbdows *.inf files (and perhaps the .sys files too).

2. Mount your hard-drive by clicking on the relevant icon on the desktop.

3. Run the ndiswrapper configuration script found in the Knoppix menu bar (the Penguin) under the Networking/Internet submenu. [Just follow the instructions]

4. Run the Networkcard configuration script found in the same location.

That said detailed instructions are in the post. They are aimed at the unexperienced user; written by an unexperienced user.

HTH

Any further queries, I am happy to try and assist. (People here have been helpful to me in the past, so I feel a duty to reciprocate )

Regards,

Grant D. Vallance

I tried adding the driver to ndiswrapper, but I got the following message:
    "The ndiswrapper module has been loaded but there is no new device. Perhaps NdisWrapper is not working with your file."

I don't know if there is anything else I should try?

Thanks.

Member registered user
    I don't know which driver you tried to install into ndiswrapper but you ought to checkout
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/List
    Card: Linksys WPC11 v4
    Chipset: Realtek RTL8180L
    pciid: 1186:3300
    Driver: Don't use driver that ships with card. Use driver for RTL8180L from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...x?Keyword=8180
    Other: See D-Link DWL-510 (the pci-id part). Works fine with 2.6 kernel and ndiswrapper 0.8.
    You might also want to look at
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FAQ
    I had to try several different .inf files before finding one that worked with my broadcom.
    I'd try the one off ndiswrapper's page(above) first.
    If it still doesn't work,copy the driver folder to /home/knoppix
    Open a terminal
    su <enter>
    ndiswrapper -i driverfolder/your.inf
    This will manually install the driver.
    Good Luck

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded the driver you referenced and tried to manually install it using ndiswrapper, but I keep getting the following message:

I Typed:
    "ndiswrapper -i /home/knoppix/net8180.inf"

I got this message:
    Exporter/Heavy.pm did not return a true value at /usr/share/perl/5.8/Exporter.pm line 17.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper line 18.