Thread: Changing default xwindows manager for a newbie on hd install

Junior Member registered user

Changing default xwindows manager for a newbie on hd install

Alright I give I've searched everywhere and tried everything i've found on google. I want to change the default windows manager to icewm on my hd install. What file do I edit? I would like to change it for all users so any info would be greatly appreciated.

On another note its a dual boot laptop with knoppix and win2k. I changed the /etc/lilo.conf but nothing seems to change on lilo's boot screen as far as to the delay or the default system that loads. When I installed I installed lilo to the MBR because win2k was installed first (if that helps).

And the last question, how do I get rid of other kernels like 2.4 that comes up on lilo etc... Not just removing them from lilo but also removing them from the hd as I don't really want them to suck up space. I don't know maybe it can't be done and again i'm a total linux newb but i'm starting to learn a lot so be gentle.

Senior Member registered user
    did you reload lilo after the change? if not try reloading it by typing
    Code:
    sudo lilo
    in a console
    btw those kernels do not take much room, about 12Mb each WITH modules...

To change default wm:
    update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

Re: Changing default xwindows manager for a newbie on hd ins

Quote Originally Posted by histo
    Alright I give I've searched everywhere and tried everything i've found on google. I want to change the default windows manager to icewm on my hd install. What file do I edit? I would like to change it for all users so any info would be greatly appreciated.

On another note its a dual boot laptop with knoppix and win2k. I changed the /etc/lilo.conf but nothing seems to change on lilo's boot screen as far as to the delay or the default system that loads. When I installed I installed lilo to the MBR because win2k was installed first (if that helps).

And the last question, how do I get rid of other kernels like 2.4 that comes up on lilo etc... Not just removing them from lilo but also removing them from the hd as I don't really want them to suck up space. I don't know maybe it can't be done and again i'm a total linux newb but i'm starting to learn a lot so be gentle.
    Easiest way to change default wm is to may use of the knoppix cheatcode just like when running from the CD. For a HD install any cheacode commands are appended by lilo & the settings are in /etc/lilo.conf append line.here is mine:

Code:
    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    vga=normal
    default="Linux(new)"
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    #message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    lba32

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26
     label="Knoppix24"
     root=/dev/hda5
     initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.26
     append="lang=us apm=power-off ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init nomce quiet nofstab wheelmouse alsa"
     read-only
    So, just edit /etc/lilo.conf to add 'desktop=icewm' to the append = line. You must re-run lilo to implement your changes, perhaps that is why your earlier changes did not show up.

To get rid of the actual 2.4 kernel or to make any other changes to the applications on the disk you must make a remastered CD. There are several docs & lots of info in the forum on remastering.

Okay I made the changes to lilo which where there for some reason the comment desktop=icewm in the append line isn't changing anything. And yes I ran the sudo lilo command as well.

Also I noticed I never checked my 2k partition after the install of knoppix from cd and aparently that is not working anymore lilo messed something up. Aparently the MBR doesn't know where the ntkernel is anymore. But I still can't get this window manager thing fixed.

Is it possible that icewm isn't installed when you install from the cd?

I also noticed that when its booting its loading some type of print manager and then it says "cupsdStarting K desktop Manager: kdm."

Even if I hit tab at the lilo screen to type in arguments and say like desktop=icewm it still won't work.

Member registered user
    can't you just select icewm from the login Menu, and Session Type? It should default to your last selection so you will load ice from then on after login

No I finally figured out how to do it. I had to create a .xsession file in each users home and within that file put the following.

exec icewm

Then it worked aparently it was using xdm to manage xwindows so it had to be done this way after a hd install. Now on to trying to fix lilo or reinstalling completely.

Gawd i'm learning so much hopefully its the right way thank you all for your help.

Okay I also have now been able to fix the lilo issues I was having with my 2k partition. I did have to reinstall what happened is after the knoppix installation to hd my 2k partition lost its pointer to the ntkernel.exe. For some reason I remember that when I was installing knoppix kept saying that 2k was on hda3 which was not the case. However; during a reinstall I repartitioned the drive installed 2k then knoppix and cfdisk was now saying that 2k was on hda1. Needless to say lilo installed fine this time I don't know why it wouldn't before if 2k was on hda3 but hey it works now.