Thread: 8cm DVD with buit-in HOME

8cm DVD with buit-in HOME

I just burn a 8cm DVD-RW with the Kanoppix 4.7 amd this is fine....

My Idea.

Use the rest of the RW Disk as a HOME

Format the DVD as two devices, mount one for the Knoppyx and the second one as a different HDD to HOME

¿Could be possible?

Senior Member registered user

Re: 8cm DVD with buit-in HOME

Quote Originally Posted by josep
    I just burn a 8cm DVD-RW with the Kanoppix 4.7 amd this is fine....

My Idea.

Use the rest of the RW Disk as a HOME

Format the DVD as two devices, mount one for the Knoppyx and the second one as a different HDD to HOME

¿Could be possible?
    If I understand you correctlyl, are you saying you want to use the remaining space of the DVD-RW as a "persistant home" ???

If so, I dont think its going to work... Reason, I dont think Linux is at the "level" of being able to re-write media without first evaporating what is already on that media. i.e. you need to erase the media before you can put something on it, or, you would have a "multi-session" media. In the case of a "multi-session" media, you would just be appending to the disc, and not updating what is already there.

For your idea to work, the disc would need to be able to handle "packet" data, like a hard drive, or flash, or what-ever, and I dont think re-write media, like CD's or DVD's are at this level in Linux, at this point. I could be wrong, but, I think that is what I know, and have heard. Persistant home areas need to be on a media that can be written to "many" times, and even "flash" and "stick" media have come up with problems on this "re-write" ability, sometimes failing in shorter times than they should have been, only the hard drive has stood the test of time, on the re-writes, and being able to handle the "updating" that is required for a persistant home area.

I have a CD-RW, and from what I have used it for, mostly, is "off storing" data that needs to be stored, but not updated, in Linux. If I need to change the data on that media, I have had to "re-cut" the complete CD again, with a full erase of the media, and then re-write the complete CD from scratch. Not sure if this has changed with the new releases of Knoppix, I run v3.4, but, this, again, is what I have heard...

This all could be "old tech", and not current, but, this is what I have heard, hope it helps

Thank You for your awser.
    You are understand my bad english (I'm Catalan) . Yes my idea is use the rest of the dvd as persistent home,.

what think about mount first the whole DVD and later mount the folder HOME as a BIND?

mount --bind /mnt/dvd/home /mnt/home

??

actually i use my DVD+RW disks as regular 4.XGhdd, formatted as EXT2. so it MIGHT work,
    using EXT2 and the option noatime gives a longer life, so does choosing right FS, i use ext2 is just because i am lazy.

Well I have noidea how you got a dvd formated as ext2, but The new mt- rainer format might alow packet writing to linux, though currently its only on cd-rws its progressing.

Could Explain me how format the DVD-RW as EXT2 ? and better, How make the partitons, and burn the imager on the first?

wrong of me, it uses iso9660, here is the link where you can read more.
    http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
    Formatting the DVD+RW media. Virgin DVD+RW media needs to be initally formatted prior usage. Once again, only virgin DVD+RW media needs to be formatted. As of version 5.10 growisofs detects blanks and applies initial formatting procedure automatically. Otherwise same effect can be achieved by passing the device name, e.g. /dev/scd0, as an argument to dvd+rw-format. To make formatting process reasonably fast, less than 1 minute, the media gets formatted only partially, as you can notice by observing a progress indicator displayed by dvd+rw-format. The final indicator value varies from firmware to firmware, values as low as 1.6% were observed. But it does not mean that you can only write that little. The unit keeps formatting transparently, as you add more data. Oh! Do keep in mind that DVD capacity of 4.7GB are salesman's GB, i.e. 10003 and not 10243.

It was observed that excessive reformats can render media unusable already after 10-20 reformats. It appears to be a firmware deficiency, not some common media defect [at least it was perfectly possible to salvage the media in a unit of different brand], but I don't recommend [enforced] reformat in either case. Note that DVD+RW re-formatting procedure does not substitute for blanking. If you want to nullify the media, e.g. for privacy reasons, do it explicitly with 'growisofs -Z /dev/scdN=/dev/zero'. Otherwise just write over previous recording as it simply wasn't there, no re-formatting is required.

DVD+R media does not require any formatting procedure applied and is ready to use out-of-the-box. Apparently, a reminder that 1st generation units (Ricoh MP5120A and derivatives) are not capable of burning DVD+R is needed.

That is SWEET

I read that whole thing with extreme interest, technology sure has changed over the last few years, I am amazed !! I remember having an "old" PhaseWriter, Plexor, and they ditched me when I started to get really working with it, had more than 60 of the "special" discs -=- then they stopped making the discs, and I dont think you can find the reader / writers anymore... But, then again, it could only do 650 MB, but, it acted just like a hard drive, packet'ed read write system...

Nice to see they have gotten a lot better, and that they now are incorporating the DVD media into this, 4.7 GB storage is sweet, adding into that, the fact that its stable like a CD, as far as free from issues of magnetic field fluxations, that is cool...

Pretty secure system I would think too; a person with only a DVD reader would be able to boot your OS setup, but it would be a read-only system, and a person with a DVD-RW, would be able to mount the device for updating -=- nice, portability, and secureness, all in one ( this would make for a pretty slick Distro, read-only in some cases, and read / write in others - kind of like a "next generation" "Poor Man's" install )

The things you learn reading a Knoppix Forum, where is the world coming too ? ( giggle )