Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with XINE, MPLAYER,

Senior Member registered user
    Hi bob58,
    hmm, that's strange. What version of Knoppix are you using? Did you get an error that some parts could not be downloaded?
    Greetings,
    probono

Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    OK Harry, you are just doing your part as moderator, no problem....The rest of this post is directed to CRASHEDAGAIN
    I really could use some help with this......I am trying to understand....In the "control panel" I have checked off "start sound server at startup" or something similar.....So then you get these system sounds and so on....So I should UNCHECK that? Maybe thats why the audio programs play better when I dont use KDE cause in fluxbox and the others, there is no sound events. So the applications work a little better.

Also I have checked off "use external player" which I chose "ARTSPLAY" because that seemed to be the only way I could get sound events to work.

You have in your reply to use "the sound server aRts....is that the same thing as ARTSPLAY?????

And how do I go about installing the "xine-arts" plugin? Also the xmms-arts plugin....I also have trouble getting xmms to work in KDE....it works great in fluxbox and the others. The only sound program I can use that works well in KDE is KAFFEINE....how come that program works OK in KDE?

I am totally lost with MPLAYER and the CODECS....

can you help me with these issues??? If you get a chance....I am not very good getting these sound applications working. I am just trying to get an application that will be able to play music and video well. I can use KAFFEINE to listen to streaming audio with no problem. REAL PLAYER works in most instances.

One more thing, I really do not understand why these programs dont work "out of the box". It seems you have to install other files to get them to work. Why are these "other files" not included with the programs? Then when you install them they work! And for example with MPLAYER, I have to jump thru hoops to get it to work, only to get an error!

Well If you can help me one thing at a time I would really be grateful

bob58
    Most of these applications are available as .deb packages.

Whenever possible, use .deb packages & apt-get or dpkg to install packages instead of compiling with make & make install. You can use kpackage to find what packages are available(and also to install them, but sometimes apt-get will work better). If the package is not listed in kpackage, it usually means that you do not have a source for it in your sources.list. There are .deb packages for almost every application, you can often track down package sources from google, do a search first for the package name then search within results for '.deb'. Then add the source to /etc/apt/sources.list & do apt-get update or dselect update.

Klik will work on a HD installed system but there is no advantage to using it so just use apt-get.

If you can find an rpm but not a .deb you can convert the rpm to a .deb with 'alien -d <rpm package>.

For mplayer, add this line to your apt sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

then

apt-get update
    apt-get install mplayer w32codecs mplayer-mozilla mplayer-fonts

Xine-arts & xmms-arts should be available from existing sources so just
    apt-get install xine-arts xmms-arts

Artsplayer is just another audio player (part of kde's 'juk' player, I think). Arts is part of kde and kde will start it automatically but you will have to tell xmms to use it. Right click in xmms, select properties or options or configure (don't remember the exact terminology & I'm not in Linux right now, sorry) find the output device setting & change to arts. You may have to do the same for xine.

To get your sounds working, enable sounds in kde control center (which you hav already done), then enable all system notification sounds. Then you have to edit the hidden file /home/(username)/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc & change all three settings to 'yes'. Why kde doesn't do this automatically is a mystery to me since the user is obviously trying to enable system sounds but it doesn't.

For konqueror plugins to play streaming audio you have to check the configure konqueror->plugins->plugin tab 'pipe plugins through arts' check box.

You can also play audio cd's from konqueror. You need the 'audiocd' protocol which you can get by apt-get install kde-multimedia-kio-plugins.
    Then if you type 'audiocd://' in konqueror's address bar you can play music using the services in the 'services' sidebar tab. (There may be more navigating needed, I forget exactly) It's a bit awkward to use at this point but it looks like kde is working on some kind of integrated konqueror media player which may eventually be yet another reason to use konqueror. At this point xmms is probably easier.

Choosing external or embedded player just sets whether the application runs as a separate entity or within kde...sort of like when you open a text file do you wnat it to open in the external editor kwrite or just view it with the embedded text viewer.

Late news: It appears the xine-arts plugins may no longer be available or necessary. For more information about xine: http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
    I'm currently checking on Mplayer & aRts. It seems aRts support may need to be compiled into Mplayer, not sure if the currently available .deb packages from marillat have it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12