Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with XINE, MPLAYER,

Senior Member registered user

Help with XINE, MPLAYER,

Hello....I seem to have a problem running audio with the program XINE. I can play music cd, but the audio breaks up a bit. I have a 900MHZ laptop with 512 meg ram....Is this not enough memory to run this application? I notice if I switch from the KDE desktop to FLUXBOX the audio clears up quite a bit....but not totally...but enough to be usable. Is there a setting for buffer size???? How can I make adjustments to this program so it will play audio like its supposed to? I also notice i can play dvd's but I get an error that will pop up saying it is running too slow....the video seems OK with an occasional glitch.....My computer should be capable of running music and dvd video with no problems....it did when I had my winxp hard drive in it. And windows is notorious for sucking alot of memory for itself!

Also I cannot get MPLAYER to work....there is some kind of file missing????Why cant some of these programs come complete to run? In the install script, if a file is already on computer, it should skip it. I find it is annoying to not be able to run some of these multi media programs cause of missing files. I notice in KNOPPIX v. 3.6 most of these issues have been solved....all but KPLAYER and MPLAYER. Please offer any advice...bob58

Bob, are you doing this from a hdinstalled knoppix or the livecd? With livecd, it can run slower because of the memory used for uncompressing the cloop filesystem.

I am running from HDD install. At first I couldnt run XINE at all cause there was a file missing. I was able to install it from a link here on forum. The problem was I couldnt play DVD'S. I do notice that XINE does run better using FLUXBOX or ICEWM. I guess cause KDE uses alot more memory, but with 512MB I would think thats more than enuff! But anyway, if I run a music cd in XINE I get slightly intermittent audio...like skipping....it almost sounds like if you listen to streaming audio over a modem. Its not terribly bad, but it could use some help. Is there some kind of setting in the XINE setup? I couldnt find anything.

Re: Help with XINE, MPLAYER,

Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    Hello....I seem to have a problem running audio with the program XINE. I can play music cd, but the audio breaks up a bit. I have a 900MHZ laptop with 512 meg ram....Is this not enough memory to run this application? I notice if I switch from the KDE desktop to FLUXBOX the audio clears up quite a bit....but not totally...but enough to be usable. Is there a setting for buffer size???? How can I make adjustments to this program so it will play audio like its supposed to? I also notice i can play dvd's but I get an error that will pop up saying it is running too slow....the video seems OK with an occasional glitch.....My computer should be capable of running music and dvd video with no problems....it did when I had my winxp hard drive in it. And windows is notorious for sucking alot of memory for itself!

Also I cannot get MPLAYER to work....there is some kind of file missing????Why cant some of these programs come complete to run? In the install script, if a file is already on computer, it should skip it. I find it is annoying to not be able to run some of these multi media programs cause of missing files. I notice in KNOPPIX v. 3.6 most of these issues have been solved....all but KPLAYER and MPLAYER. Please offer any advice...bob58
    Probably this is because more than one application is trying to use the sound system. To do this you must use the sound server aRts & you will need to install the xine-arts plugin. (There is also an xmms-arts plugin).
    Mplayer needs codecs to interpret the various file formats, the package 'W32codecs' should cover most of them. You will also want mplayer-mozilla to get the browser plugins, konqueror also uses these same mozilla plugins.
    You will also have to 'pipe plugins through arts' in konqueror setups, I think this setting is in configure konqueror->plugins->plugins tab. (Can't check, Im not in Linux right now)

Administrator Site Admin-
    Bob,

The site admin has confirmed that multiiple clicks on the submit may have caused the duplicate postings. Sorry, I had no idea that that might happen.
    Now that I know, if I see it in the future I'll clean up the duplicates without comment.

Harry

OK Harry, you are just doing your part as moderator, no problem....The rest of this post is directed to CRASHEDAGAIN
    I really could use some help with this......I am trying to understand....In the "control panel" I have checked off "start sound server at startup" or something similar.....So then you get these system sounds and so on....So I should UNCHECK that? Maybe thats why the audio programs play better when I dont use KDE cause in fluxbox and the others, there is no sound events. So the applications work a little better.

Also I have checked off "use external player" which I chose "ARTSPLAY" because that seemed to be the only way I could get sound events to work.

You have in your reply to use "the sound server aRts....is that the same thing as ARTSPLAY?????

And how do I go about installing the "xine-arts" plugin? Also the xmms-arts plugin....I also have trouble getting xmms to work in KDE....it works great in fluxbox and the others. The only sound program I can use that works well in KDE is KAFFEINE....how come that program works OK in KDE?

I am totally lost with MPLAYER and the CODECS....

can you help me with these issues??? If you get a chance....I am not very good getting these sound applications working. I am just trying to get an application that will be able to play music and video well. I can use KAFFEINE to listen to streaming audio with no problem. REAL PLAYER works in most instances.

One more thing, I really do not understand why these programs dont work "out of the box". It seems you have to install other files to get them to work. Why are these "other files" not included with the programs? Then when you install them they work! And for example with MPLAYER, I have to jump thru hoops to get it to work, only to get an error!

Well If you can help me one thing at a time I would really be grateful

bob58

You could install kplayer from http://klik.berlios.de and then simply copy the win32 codecs there - all without the need for HD install.

error installing kplayer

Hi Probono.....I have been having trouble running KPLAYER....I download it from the 'KLIK' website and when its done, a message box pops up saying:

"error running /home/bob/kplayer/wrapper kplayer. You could try to edit manually"

I have no clue to what this means. Is there a problem with the file? I also notice that it isnt in my KMENU under programs installed by KLIK. Any help would be appreciated...bob

Heres what I found on a search for "xine-arts plugin:

This information is for KDE-3.1 users who wish to update their version of the xine aRts plugin. You can use both versions for KDE-3.1, but only the 'unified' version supports older versions of xine-lib (0.9.x).
    1. Download one of the tarballs (see About)

2. Extract the tarball into your kdemultimedia build directory

cd ~/build/kdemultimedia-3.1/
    tar xjf ~/download/xine_artsplugin-20030114.tar.bz2

3. Generate the Makefile templates (.in)

make -f Makefile.cvs

or

make -f admin/Makefile.common

4. Run configure (add your options)
    ./configure

5. Rebuild the xine aRts plugin
    cd xine_artsplugin/
    make

However I cannot find the right directory to untar this file into.....any ideas? ? ??

I'd recommend apt for this one:
    Code:
    markus@fujibox:~$ apt-cache search xine arts
    amarok - versatile and easy to use audio player for KDE
    amarok-gstreamer - GStreamer engine for the amaroK audio player
    libarts1-xine - xine plugin for arts

markus@fujibox:~$ apt-cache policy libarts1-xine
    libarts1-xine:
      Installed: 4:3.3.0-1
      Candidate: 4:3.3.0-1
      Version Table:
     *** 4:3.3.0-1 0