Thread: Linux Developement

Member registered user

Linux Developement

Ok, I first Downloaded Knoppix to get a taste of the linux environment. I have heard MANY times that linux and unix are much bettwr than windows... i wanted to be able to develope applications. In windows, accessing the API is a hastle that requires several tech manuals on the API and the DLL calls that windows supports them with.

DLLs are also a hastle... since they run in shared memory in windows, ANY memory-heppy programmer can EASILY hack your programs simply by altering the return of a DLL call.

Ok, not very secure. Never-the-less, it has been my developement environment for YEARS. I may only be 14, but i've been programming since i was 6 so i can say that i have been working there for years.

Windows has a lot more support out there than linux, so that is why i waited so long to get linux. But knoppix had a forum specifically for it... i figured it would be better to get a version of linux that had support specifically for it.

So here i am, i am no longer a newb, and i am wanting to begin developement. I found out recently, however, that C does not support graphics(no wonder my books didnt have it...), and i am not interested in learning how to use external libraries at the moment in C. I may be able to develope my own OS, much like DOS, with C alone, but it is not possible with C alone to do GFX.

So now i begin my question. In order to do Grapfics in C, the best thing i could figure is that i use a DOS interrupt with inline assembler for the x86. If i can assign values to the flags CX & DX, and AX, and BX, and i can call an interrupt through assembler, while still running in C, i have everything i need to do graphics in C, so that i do not need to learn any of the languages available(long list in Kdevelope).

Yes, i know some fortran, java, and pascal. Actually, i am not all that bad at them, but i am a C master, i do not want to master another language to accomplish what i want to do.

I know that Qbasic(yup microsoft... first language i mastered) can use the CALL ABSOLUTE command to execute the hex codes, but i have 2 problems doing this in C:

1. i DO NOT know how to use a CALL ABSOLUTE-like command in C
    2. i DO NOT know what tools to use to get the hex codes(debug in windows)

Before you answer, read one more thing...
    I said earlier i was a C master, and yet i am asking a question on C. Well, it just so happens that ANSI C does NOT contain a command to do what i am trying to do. I am a master at EVERYTHING ANSI. In other words, i know only what is C and not what must come from elsewhere. Anything i ask here is NOT in my definition of a master C programmer...

Senior Member registered user
    Thats a little hard on the eyes. Could you sum up your questions?

Wow, 14. Very impressive.

Senior Member registered user
    Have you seen this http://www.svgalib.org/jay/beginners...ers_guide.html
    Are you looking for a simple graphics package for your Linux system? If so, look no further. SVGAlib provides an easy way to create graphical applications and eliminates the rigmarole of the X Window System. If you have even the most rudimentary grasp of programming in C, then you can use SVGAlib.

What is SVGAlib?

SVGAlib is a low-level graphics library for Linux. It augments the C programming language, which doesn't provide support for graphics.

But there are lots of graphics programs written in C!

Yes, but they all rely on external library functions. C itself can only give you text. That's because all graphic functions are system dependent and are non-portable. Unfortunately, graphic routines coded for one operating system will not work under another unless they are completely rewritten. For example, graphics originally written for DOS or Windows are useless under Linux.

To code graphics in C under Linux, it is necessary to use an external set of functions which are native to Linux. SVGAlib is one such set.

How is SVGAlib different from the X Window System?