Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got this friend, see?

Senior Member registered user
    JOKE
    what, cuddles, you do not edit the knoppix ISO bit by bit , each zero checked and double checked each 1...
    before you burn it?? how on earth do you get the extra 200Mb of software in? ;-P
    and that optimization of memory and cpu usage. the extra 20000 fps on your graphics.
    /JOKE
    oh my. i have a few of those. one refuses anything but mac, one thinks win95 is THE thing (ouch).

With all that bad rap about apt-get upgrade. With my debain sarge install I do apt-get update && apt-get upgrade as soon as I log in. Sure on or two programs won't be upgraded even if they can be. But it hasn't broken my system yet. I think its just a Sid thing.

Not even a sid thing, I am sid (wow, sounds like a b movie title). It breaks a few things. I wait 24 hrs to a week and the next one will fix it

Have to manage the upgrades like anything else. Right now debian pkg world a little different with sarge so close to stable. And KDE, will always be KDE :P

OErjan, just bought the "Simpsons Hit & Run" game ( note the wording here, I "BOUGHT" the game ) - it refuses to run within WINE, considering the game likes DirectX 8.1 for video and audio, I think something is missing from my WINE install... I "had" to boot my Win98 install, to install it, and test run / play it, to be sure it wasnt a "flackey" game... ANYONE know how to get DirectX running in WINE ??????

As for everyone else, I think it is a Sid thing, with everything changing, doing a "blanket" upgrade, can only be a sign of the armegedeon, and, an eternity of pergatory for a Linux user. With all the "dynamic" 'ness of Sid packages, each one going into Sarge at a moment notice, and something new being introduced into Sid, its more of a "witches" kettle, with a mixture of incantations of spells, brews, and strange creatures thrown into the pot. This "mixture" is an accident waiting to happen, and the apt-get upgrade is like one extra "eye of knute" to a perfectly fine witches brew. ( KDE is another example )

I have found a delicate sprinkle of Synaptic and doing upgrades only on the packages I want, to be a nice way of keep the "witches pot" from going into "overdrive" and causing a Linux user to go berzerk... I just live with the "600 packages left back, or not upgraded" message, now. ( considering the outcome, and possible reprecusions, of doing the dreaded "blanket" upgrade with Sid, its a nice consolation prize )

As one gets "used" to running Knoppix, you learn what to do, and what NOT to do, in its normal running, or at least you should, unless ones intent is to have "a life in HELL", or, you learn how to applease "Hell's" gatekeeper if your choice is to do what you probably shouldn't be doing

winex has directx already put in there try that

very interested in this discussion the only thing that keeps w98 on here besides some banking is directx. I gotta have my games. Resources?

Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    very interested in this discussion the only thing that keeps w98 on here besides some banking is directx. I gotta have my games. Resources?
    This is bout the best I've come up with, appears the "company" that used to develop WineX, no longer wants to "give it away" - they charge, a minimum of $5 USD / month to be a subscriber, which gives you access to the downloads of the "Cedega" program, and a minimum of 3 months must be maintained - so you cant just pay 5 bucks, get the downloads, and run...

I cant locate the area to get the "WineX" program, they locked down everything but the "Cedega_TimeDemo" version download, in fact, the whole site is almost locked down unless you subscribe... I got the TimeDemo version, and it refuses to run my game, screen comes up, but then stays black - Even there "help" forums are locked down unless you are a member / subscriber, so I am going through there "email contact" point to see if I can get this resolved...

Here is the site link

15$ is not a house so...

True, very true, but, as I see it, I would gladly pay that, if I could get the "TimeDemo" to work, and having problems with that, and not wanting to pay for something that doesnt, or wont, work for what I need it to do, is expensive ( the principle of the thing )

Having there "help" for those who "take the gamble" of it working, and putting there money on it, is kind of, not, "Shareware" of an idea - more along the lines of Microsoft, buy it, try it, if you dont like it, then tough, you already bought it, kind of thing...

I'd gladly pay $50 for Cedega, if it would run a simple game, heck, the "Simpsons" game cant be any worse than what they claim they have working, some of these games they "say" run, are a heck of a lot more "intensive" then this, and my justification is, any amount of money is too much, if the thing doesnt work -=- its a waste -=- I can just as easily throw 15 bucks down the toilet and flush it, gets me just the same... The big kicker is, they must assume that "everyone" is going to try the "TimeDemo" version, and it will work perfectly for them, hence, no help for anyone, and then these people will buy the "real" version, thus, have the help... I'm not getting that far, I'm stuck on the "I need help with the TimeDemo", and I aint paying for it, if it cant work... We'll see, maybe the email assistance will change my mind, the program looks good, and it appears to be "flawless" in the "faking" Windows and its drives, peripheralls, and programs into thinking they are not only on a FAT drive, when they are actually on a ext3 file system, but, also able to run the EXE program with this same "faking it" thing...

Oh well

i have had it installed and it worlked for me. sadly i have no computer that is enough to run that anymore. p1@100Mhz is a bit on the low side, even with 74Mb ram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12