Thread: Problems with forum login and apt

Problems with forum login and apt

I am having problems with logging in to the forum from my new harddisk install of knoppix 3.6. I am using knoqueror web browser, I go to the login screen enter my details and everything seems ok, but then when I click on new topic it asks me to enter my user name and paswword again, I do this and then it just goes back and asks me to enter my user name and password again. I am currently writing this in firefox on my XP box so my login works ok. Any suggestion as to whats wrong with konqueror??

When I had finished the hard disk install I done an apt-get update followed by an apt-get dist-upgrade, during the install part of the process I get the follwing error message

Unpacking replacement xlibs-dev ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Any pointer would be helpful please.

Tim

Senior Member registered user

Re: Problems with forum login and apt

Quote Originally Posted by draggin
    I am having problems with logging in to the forum from my new harddisk install of knoppix 3.6. I am using knoqueror web browser, I go to the login screen enter my details and everything seems ok, but then when I click on new topic it asks me to enter my user name and paswword again, I do this and then it just goes back and asks me to enter my user name and password again. I am currently writing this in firefox on my XP box so my login works ok. Any suggestion as to whats wrong with konqueror??

Tim
    First thought, I use Mozilla, not Konq, but, I think the issue is the same, just a different program... I had this problem after I hard drive installed my v3.4 - it completely confounded me, until someone pointed a few things out, which may be what is happening in your situation... Here goes...

be sure you are using the web addy: www.knoppix.net

secondly, check your settings in Konq., you want to make sure you allow, enable, saving cookies for "this" site - I think the "default" is to block them, or something like that - you'll want this site to save that cookie, since it will store your login information there - another thought is, at least it was with me and Mozilla, if the "password" or account information saver pops up and asks if "you want it to remember this login?" you might want to let it, it cant hurt

Hope this helps,

Thanks cuddles, it was a cookie problem but there something strange going on, when I first started browsing with konqueror it was asking for cookie confirmation, when I checked just after reading your mail it was set to reject???? but hey its sorted now.

Just need to sort the apt problem...anybody???

Tim

Try: dpkg -i --force-all /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb

Cheers that sorted it,

Tim

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by draggin
    Thanks cuddles, it was a cookie problem but there something strange going on, when I first started browsing with konqueror it was asking for cookie confirmation, when I checked just after reading your mail it was set to reject???? but hey its sorted now.
    Not sure bout this in Konq, but it worked like that in Mozilla... When you have the "Cookie Manager" ask you about allow / not allow a cookie to be saved from this site, the dialog box has a few options on it. Two of these options are "Yes" and "No" to allowing the cookie to be saved, some of the other options allow "all" cookies from this site, and, of course, the "dont allow", or block cookies from this site... Two possible ideas of how that setting changed, in your situation; ( 1 ) you selected "block" all cookies when you were asked about this site, or, ( 2 ) you might have just said "no" to one cookie on this site, and it assumed all. In either case, you got it working, and thats the main thing