Thread: Booting Knoppix from CD problem

Booting Knoppix from CD problem

Can anyone help a newbie, I have downloaded and burnt onto a cd Knoppix. It is supposed to run from the cd but it only gets so far into the boot then my monitor goes blank and ther is no signal to the monitor. I have a Tandberg TFT monitor if thats any help.
    Thanks

Administrator Site Admin-
    You're not giving much information, like even just how far it's getting into the boot. If you're not getting to the first prompt then I would guess an improper burn or even a bad md5 sum on what you downloaded. However, if you got to the first prompt (I'm guessing you did) then you could have different issues. While you could still have a bad CD (particularly if you burned it at a very high speed), you most liikely need to use some sort of "cheat codes" as you boot. Knoppix 3.4 is much worse about this than early versions (in 3.1 I needed no cheat codes, in 3.4 I need two different ones or I can't boot and hang like you do). In my case I need "knoppix noscsi acpi=off". You can try that, but you might need different codes. I know of no good way beyond trial and error to find what code or (much worse) what codes you might need. Sorry.

Thanks Harry, The CD works O K on my laptop and also on a friends computer but not on mine. You mentioned cheats, how and when would I use them. While I have no problem working around any windows O S Linux has me completly flumoxed so I dont want to try a full instal until I am completly confident. Thanks for replying Harry, If you could just advise me on the cheats I would be grateful. George

Administrator Site Admin-
    As Knoppix boots, a few seconds in, before Tux and the hardware detection stuff starts up, you'll get a prompt. If you do nothing it only waits a few seconds then goes on with the boot. You can type the cheats tere. Best is to hit F2 or F3 and look over the info. As a start, type typing F2 and then entering knoppix noscsi acpi=off and see what happens, but as I already said, the codes you need may be different. I only happened across codes that worked for me by chance; needing two codes was a royal pain, as my first attempt at each code gave no positive results. Sorry I can't give better advice on what codes you should try, perhaps someone wiser than I can give suggestions.

Thanks for the reply Harry, I will try them tommorow