Thread: Microsoft wireless G adapter problems with knoppix!!!!!!!!!!

Microsoft wireless G adapter problems with knoppix!!!!!!!!!!

i can get on the internet using a normal ethernet cable, but i cant use my microsoft wireless g adapter. knoppix tries to read it at the boot, but it cant, the lights on the network card dont even turn on when booting up linux. what kind i do without have to use a ethernet cable to get onto the internet?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Have you asked Microsoft if they will supply you Linux drivers for the card?

Seriously, there was discussion here a few weeks ago about someone who was using a wired Microsoft NIC, and even though it seemed to be made with a standard chip set, MS had managed to change it enough that it would not work with Linux. And you think you are going to get a Microsoft wireless card working with Linux? I wish you luck, but you are much more optomistic than I.

Member registered user

Re: Microsoft wireless G adapter problems with knoppix!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jonath8n
    i can get on the internet using a normal ethernet cable, but i cant use my microsoft wireless g adapter. knoppix tries to read it at the boot, but it cant, the lights on the network card dont even turn on when booting up linux. what kind i do without have to use a ethernet cable to get onto the internet?
    You might try and use ndiswrapper, which is on the Knoppix 3.6 CD at least. I guess that even M$ products use one of the mainstream chipset makers like Broadcom, or atmel etc. In any case, ndiswrapper might work anyway ...

The proceedure is simple enough:
    (1) Put the driver file (i.e. the .inf file) somewhere you can get to it in Knoppix. (I created a high level directory in M$ C:\Belkin to do this). Make sure this location is mounted and accessible to Knoppix after it has loaded.
    (2) Run the ndiswrapper configuration script in the Internet/Networking submenu of the Knoppix menu.
    (3) Run the Networking configuration script in the same location.
    (4) Done (if you are lucky!)

You can do it through the command line and lots of things can go wrong. But give it a try. It cannot hurt ...

If it does not work, a detailed step-by-step guide is available on the sticky post Success with Knoppix 3.6 and Wireless Networking. It may not, and if you are stuck I can point you in the direction of lots of resources that could get you up and running.

HTH

Grant D. Vallance