Thread: Filesystem not found, after kernal loads (LiveCd)

Member registered user

Filesystem not found, after kernal loads (LiveCd)

p4 3.2 prescott
    asus p4p800se /intel 865PE north/ ICH5R south MOBO
    512MB DDR
    maxtor Ge020L0 -20gig HDD
    MadDog Dominator Dvd-rw-MD12xdvdrw-se (shows up as vom-12E48X in BIOS)
    Windows XP Pro
    Botting knoppix from Cd provided at linuxiso.com Knoppix version 3.6

Ok, I get past the splash screen (loads the Kernal fine) into the Command promt where it looks like its loading (untill I get the following errors)

I wrote this down Exactly how it showed on the screen...

"
    Scanning for USB/FIREWIRE devices..........done
    Enabling DMA acceleration for:HDA (maxtor GE020L0)
    Enabling DMA acceleration for:HDC (VOM-12E48X)
    looking for CdRom in: /dev/scd0 (AFTER ABOUT TEN SECONDS THIS LINE DISSAPPEARS AND THE FOLLWING IS SHOWN.....)

Cant find knoppix filesystem, Sorry
    Dropping you into a (very limited) Shell.
    Press reset button to quit.

Additional built in commands available

Cat Mount unmount
    insmod hmmod lsmod
    "

Enabling DMA acceleration for:HDC (VOM-12E48X) --Could this mean its seeing my CdRom as a hdd?

Im by no means an expert (obviously), Im the type who knows a few cool Dos commands and feels like I actually know something

Changing over from windows, mainly out of curiosity but have read LOTS about it before trying.Im tired of all the un-needed crap running in the background of my pc, tired of completly stupid vulnerabilities like uPnP (and countless others I dont know about),i guess just tired of windows in general...The only things I use my Pc for besides the internet is play games, I know that UT2k4 and americas Army both support linux...Im worried about my USB cable modem but other than that the challenges will be simply learning linux.

would like to at least get linux booted so I can get a taste of what Im about to swallow
    Would apperciate any efforts!!!

thanks,

Senior Member registered user
    DMA for all drives is enabled by default in Knoppix 3.6 & however DMA enabled on the CD drive sometimes makes Knoppix unable to find itself. Try the cheatcode at the boot prompt
    Code:
    knoppix nodma
    or you could try using the new 2.6 kernel
    Code:
    knoppix26
    I hope this helps.
    James

Member registered user

Its working!!!
    Im running it right now

Unbelivable!!!!!!!

my modem needed no Configs at ALL!!!
    Mozilla opened for the knoppix read me and I clicked one of the internet links AND IT WORKED

WOW

This makes me want to format right now!!!

Im gonna see if I can find graphics drivers, can I install them while running linux from the cd?

This Kicks A**

Ill be back, i wanna screw around for a few with this...

Does it usually start right up and work like this!?!?!?!

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    DMA for all drives is enabled by default in Knoppix 3.6 & however DMA enabled on the CD drive sometimes makes Knoppix unable to find itself. Try the cheatcode at the boot prompt
    Code:
    knoppix nodma
    or you could try using the new 2.6 kernel
    Code:
    knoppix26
    I hope this helps.
    James
    By the way man, thanks alot!

The NoDma worked first time!
    Seriously, I wouldnt have figured that out without someone telling me!

Thanks man!

Senior Member registered user
    I'm sorry to say, greygooseplz, you may be right, and you may be wrong...

DMA is not uncommon on any device, CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-RW, or a hard drive. In the case of a DVD, not having DMA active can make a movie "choppy", and in my case, having DMA active on my "flackey" hard drive, can make it not work. ( Samsung model )

I would suggest the cheatcode that UnderScore suggested, try that, if you get in, then try using the hdparm command to isolate, maybe, which one, or a combination of, device(s) could be causing a problem. Thats a start. You might try the "full guns" approach. When you get the boot: prompt, take a look at the list of cheatcodes you can use. Especially the ones that have no... in front of them, and try those...

i.e. If you dont have PCMCIA, use the nopcmcia cheatcode, if you dont have something, then use the "no" cheatcode for it...

Booting into v3.3, I had a long slew of cheatcodes to get in...

boot: linux26 lang=us alsa nopcmcia noapm noagp noswap nodma noacpi

This was actually for v3.4, and booting the experimental kernel 2.6, but change the "linux26" to "knoppix" and it should work with any version.

About the ONLY thing that is being "set" in the above command is, the language, and ALSA support, almost everything else, is being disabled... The above command was used to boot my new version of 3.4, off the CD, with an old hard drive installed version of 3.3, which was going to be erased, and the new version replace it - hence, nothing was trying to go to an install, or hard drive.

Again, most "everyone" needs to use some sort of cheatcode, or a combination of cheatcodes, to get the OS up and running. I have only heard a few people report that they didnt have to do anything, and it worked. This is not an issue with the OS, remind you, it is probably due to the "complexity" of individuals computers, hardware, and what they require. This is why Knoppix has those cheatcodes, in the first place, to "hopefully" iron out those differances

Good Luck.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    ........Again, most "everyone" needs to use some sort of cheatcode, or a combination of cheatcodes, to get the OS up and running. I have only heard a few people report that they didnt have to do anything,......
    I booted old 3.1 releases on many computers and they all worked for everything I tried (including sound on all but one). Did not try modems, as all were on DSL or cable connections through routers. Around 3.3. or 3.4 this all changed, and now the cheat codes are needed. This seems unfortunate, as it must discourage many first time users and is somewhat against the concept of a live CD. In fact, I would think you have a better chance of answering all the technical questions about hardware, interupts, IO addresses and the like for a unaided Linux install than guesing the right combination of cheat codes that Knoppix might need when it needs more than one. At least when installing you can look up and figure out what each of the questions/options means and step through it. I must have had a copy of 3.4 for 6 months or more before I was even able to get it to boot in my laptop, and I had been using older versions for about a year.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    I'm sorry to say, greygooseplz, you may be right, and you may be wrong...

DMA is not uncommon on any device, CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-RW, or a hard drive. In the case of a DVD, not having DMA active can make a movie "choppy", and in my case, having DMA active on my "flackey" hard drive, can make it not work. ( Samsung model )

I would suggest the cheatcode that UnderScore suggested, try that, if you get in, then try using the hdparm command to isolate, maybe, which one, or a combination of, device(s) could be causing a problem. Thats a start. You might try the "full guns" approach. When you get the boot: prompt, take a look at the list of cheatcodes you can use. Especially the ones that have no... in front of them, and try those...

i.e. If you dont have PCMCIA, use the nopcmcia cheatcode, if you dont have something, then use the "no" cheatcode for it...

Booting into v3.3, I had a long slew of cheatcodes to get in...

boot: linux26 lang=us alsa nopcmcia noapm noagp noswap nodma noacpi

This was actually for v3.4, and booting the experimental kernel 2.6, but change the "linux26" to "knoppix" and it should work with any version.

About the ONLY thing that is being "set" in the above command is, the language, and ALSA support, almost everything else, is being disabled... The above command was used to boot my new version of 3.4, off the CD, with an old hard drive installed version of 3.3, which was going to be erased, and the new version replace it - hence, nothing was trying to go to an install, or hard drive.

Again, most "everyone" needs to use some sort of cheatcode, or a combination of cheatcodes, to get the OS up and running. I have only heard a few people report that they didnt have to do anything, and it worked. This is not an issue with the OS, remind you, it is probably due to the "complexity" of individuals computers, hardware, and what they require. This is why Knoppix has those cheatcodes, in the first place, to "hopefully" iron out those differances

Good Luck.
    Your post timed in one minute after mine, saying that it worked.
    it was the DMA, It booted up flawlessly and Im still running it right now, about to reboot into WinXp.

Thanks for the help though, everyone...
    Your post kinda confused me there Untill I realized you posted one minute after me... again, I could probably be considered a newbie.

besides forums is there a place where I could get VERY BASIC FAQ/Tips for someone "completly" new to Linux?
    ive been searching and found alot, one thing about linux that I love so far is the community, its not hard to find help/info...
    The pages I found were mainly lists of cheatcodes or commands, thats a little overwhelming right now.

im trying to find more on setting up a dual-boot system, just incase...
    i was planning on trying to install/run knoppix as my only OS, but Im sure Ill have problems.I dont think Ive got sound and havnt figured out how to check it out yet.i have no media or games and dont know If Im supposed to be getting sound from the main linux gui/explorer.

I should try to learn and research ALOT more before comminting and installing knoppix as my only OS, but mainly just setting up my usuall programs...opening/running the new "exe" files

Quote Originally Posted by greygooseplz
    besides forums is there a place where I could get VERY BASIC FAQ/Tips for someone "completly" new to Linux?
    You could check out the Docs section on this page and wade through http://www.linuxlinks.com/Beginners/ starting with http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/

im trying to find more on setting up a dual-boot system, just incase...
    i was planning on trying to install/run knoppix as my only OS, but Im sure Ill have problems.
    Dual boot is the best way to start IMHO, have a look at:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11711
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...t=3311&start=0
    and search the site for: dual boot

I dont think Ive got sound and havnt figured out how to check it out yet.i have no media or games and dont know If Im supposed to be getting sound from the main linux gui/explorer.
    Add the alsa cheatcode when booting. When fully booted to GUI open a terminal (monitor icon), type alsamixer and crank up the volume, do the same with kmix.