Thread: Vote for Konqueror improvement!

Junior Member registered user

Vote for Konqueror improvement!

It would be very nice to have a search or filter field in Konqueror that works much like the Search field in Kmail; typing part of a filename would filter the list of files located in the present directory and make it easier to find a file or a group of files having a string in their names in common.

Please vote for this feature over at http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93236 if you find to be of interest and visit kde-apps at http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...umexplevel=all to learn more about it and find a concept screenshot!

Regards,
    Andreas

Senior Member registered user
    why? you can do that with the location bar... for example, type: "*january.d*" behind the adress ("/home/superstoned/documents/*january.d*" and it will only show matching files. or use the locate kio slave: "locate:/january" (find the kio-slave on kde-apps.org).

the googlebar is useless, already (you can use the locationbar if you set settings>konqueror>webshortcuts>default searchengine:google). just type the searchterm in the locationbar, it'll google. and no, it doesnt do that annoying "go to search if you can't find the adress due to typing error" like Microsofts internet exploder.

and all these goodies work in every file-open dialog, file-save dialog, everywhere in KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    why? you can do that with the location bar... for example, type: "*january.d*" behind the adress ("/home/superstoned/documents/*january.d*" and it will only show matching files. or use the locate kio slave: "locate:/january" (find the kio-slave on kde-apps.org).

the googlebar is useless, already (you can use the locationbar if you set settings>konqueror>webshortcuts>default searchengine:google). just type the searchterm in the locationbar, it'll google. and no, it doesnt do that annoying "go to search if you can't find the adress due to typing error" like Microsofts internet exploder.

and all these goodies work in every file-open dialog, file-save dialog, everywhere in KDE.
    ------------

This is thought to be a complement to locate:, not a replacement and makes sense only in file-viewing mode in Konq (I guess). Two important features of this application:

1) Filtering is instant (so you do not type *NAME*<ENTER>) and should match *NAME* just by typing NAME.

2) If the above is true, then having that functionality in the Location: field would be very messy. As soon as you start typing some address, the file list would start shrinking. That is why I would prefer a separate field.

Quote Originally Posted by WedDa
    This is thought to be a complement to locate:, not a replacement and makes sense only in file-viewing mode in Konq (I guess). Two important features of this application:

1) Filtering is instant (so you do not type *NAME*<ENTER>) and should match *NAME* just by typing NAME.

2) If the above is true, then having that functionality in the Location: field would be very messy. As soon as you start typing some address, the file list would start shrinking. That is why I would prefer a separate field.
    about 1, I think this whould be a bit hard for the locationbar. but it whould be nice, too. and not impossible.

about 2, thats exactly what I whould love! why is that wrong? isnt that the way kmail works, too?

anyway, I wont say there could be some improvement, and searching could me made easier. but please, not a google/filesearch bar. those suck. I prefer a more clever location/search bar. why not doing a locate(and, in time, a meta-search) AND google search when someone types some keywords in the locationbar? within a few months, no-one uses the locationbar really for typing locations, but only for search. and that whould be exactly how it should be... no other bars, no clutter, just plain and easy. and what about the commandprompt-plugin for the kicker? shouldnt it do the same? so: just type in some keywords, and it'll search your computer and google for them... or type in a command, and it'll start the program. or type in 4+(5x6-2) and you'll see 32

about 1, I think this whould be a bit hard for the locationbar. but it whould be nice, too. and not impossible.

about 2, thats exactly what I whould love! why is that wrong? isnt that the way kmail works, too?

anyway, I wont say there could be some improvement, and searching could me made easier. but please, not a google/filesearch bar. those suck. I prefer a more clever location/search bar. why not doing a locate(and, in time, a meta-search) AND google search when someone types some keywords in the locationbar? within a few months, no-one uses the locationbar really for typing locations, but only for search. and that whould be exactly how it should be... no other bars, no clutter, just plain and easy. and what about the commandprompt-plugin for the kicker? shouldnt it do the same? so: just type in some keywords, and it'll search your computer and google for them... or type in a command, and it'll start the program. or type in 4+(5x6-2) and you'll see 32 [/quote]

----

Oki, I see your point. And actually, I can not say what would be the most comfortable solution here before I try them both. Personally, I am very trapped in tree-hierarchy thinking when it comes to dealing with a UNIX filesystem. Even photo albums in DigiKam make me confused

So I would find it nice to have an overview of both the filesystem location AND the filter at the same time, in parallel. Therefore a second field. My main problem here is the implementation of the "Find file..." option, which I think sucks.

And while you are there, please also consider voting for http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81772 - the feature I suggest there would make AppDirs possible in KDE.

Greetings,
    probono

Quote Originally Posted by probono
    And while you are there, please also consider voting for http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81772 - the feature I suggest there would make AppDirs possible in KDE.

Greetings,
    probono
    just voted. looks like its goin' to be implemented soon.