Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: customized cheat codes

Senior Member registered user

Re: Hex editing is possible

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Really appreciate your feedback Fabian (as well as your contributions to Knoppix). Thanks.
    Have you seen or tested the new program I did make?

See one post above your one (the isoinfo one).

Do you think this would be enough to write some nice dialogs for knoppix-customize.

cu

Fabian

Administrator Site Admin-

Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    Have you seen or tested the new program I did make?

See one post above your one (the isoinfo one).

Do you think this would be enough to write some nice dialogs for knoppix-customize.

cu

Fabian
    I saw the post, will follow it up. Still trying to read a lot of other forums I've fallen begind on, but the information was not ignored. The tool to replace ISO parts seems great. I can certainly live with the same size issue. The thought Perhaps I can encourage him to make full featured iso tools, though. would be a fantastic thing to have.

One more thought, it would be nice if it (or any Live CD) could include the debian package mbr. It looks like an important tool for some things (like USB flash device booting).

I'm too green to make a judgement yet on if it would be enough to write some nice dialogs for knoppix-customize, but that's certainly an approach to consider. Looks like it should do a lot, but I need to get a lot more hands on before I would make any conclusion. Thanks for pointing me in this direction though.

[...]
    One more thought, it would be nice if it (or any Live CD) could include the debian package mbr. It looks like an important tool for some things (like USB flash device booting).

I'm too green to make a judgement yet on if it would be enough to write some nice dialogs for knoppix-customize, but that's certainly an approach to consider. Looks like it should do a lot, but I need to get a lot more hands on before I would make any conclusion. Thanks for pointing me in this direction though.
    To your first question: lilo -M /dev/hda does basically do the same as the mbr package. (Boots the active partition)

To your second one:

Well, I'm still thinking about a good GUI how to do it, but I can think of a good thing yet, because the linuxrc format is quite complex.

Perhaps like:

Choose which entry you want to choose:

linux26
    [...]
    expert
    all

While selecting a single entry gives you the corresponding line and all lets you just add a cheatcode to all lines or remove one from all lines (Yo then have to know which one you want to add or remove though)

Would this be an idea?

GUI-startup would be:

- Select ISO-Image

Then a menu:

- Change cheatcodes
    - Show current isolinux.cfg
    - Write back isolinux.cfg
    - Quit

Any more options needed from a users perspective?

cu

Fabian

WOW, sounds sweet!

GUI-startup would be:

- Select ISO-Image

Then a menu:

- Change cheatcodes
    - Show current isolinux.cfg
    - Write back isolinux.cfg
    - Quit

Any more options needed from a users perspective?
    I can see one more option that likely would be handy:
    - restore isolinux.cfg from CDROM defaults

WOW, sounds sweet!

I can see one more option that likely would be handy:
    - restore isolinux.cfg from CDROM defaults
    Well there is a problem with that ...

When you write back your changes, the script can no longer restore the defaults ...

Well I guess just giving an error message (if nothing has changed) is sufficient ...

What do you think?

cu

Fabian

When you write back your changes, the script can no longer restore the defaults ...

Well I guess just giving an error message (if nothing has changed) is sufficient ...

What do you think?
    I'm confused, but that seems to be a common state for me lately. I had expected that, as long as the user were running from CD, the original information would still be there on the CD and could be used to recover from any bad isolinux.cfg that the user made. I'm not following why isolinux.cfg can't be restored. I'm not saying that it's a serious problem for me, but my impression was that people like you and Klaus wanted to be sure users would not screw themselves up in ways that would prevent the CD from booting (which I'm told is why home=scan and config=scan are not defaults, although I hope they find their way into the new menu).

What do you think?
    I'm confused, but that seems to be a common state for me lately. I had expected that, as long as the user were running from CD, the original information would still be there on the CD and could be used to recover from any bad isolinux.cfg that the user made.

I'm not following why isolinux.cfg can't be restored. I'm not saying that it's a serious problem for me, but my impression was that people like you and Klaus wanted to be sure users would not screw themselves up in ways that would prevent the CD from booting (which I'm told is why home=scan and config=scan are not defaults, although I hope they find their way into the new menu).
    Well you could be running the script not only from CD, but also from Windows or from another Linux system, where you do not have a isolinux.cfg. So I thought restoring the image would mean: Just grab the old isolinux.cfg from the ISO-image, when the user has made changes, but does not like his changes. (Instead of having to restart the program)

home=scan and myconfig=scan are not default, because:

Think of following szenario:

Mr. Evil has forgotten his USB-Stick in your computer, which by coincidence has a knoppix.sh, which does do: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda ...

And Mr. Evil uses that USB stick sometimes with a special Knoppix to delete machines, but he never imagined that it would delete your machine. He is sooo sorry ...

Ok, the same applies to unpacking just some config files ...

This is the reason, but if a user chooses:

Use knoppix.sh config script its _his_ choice and his
    responsibility.

If we make it default, its our responsibility.

I hope you understand now ...

I'm working on the new menu ...

cu

Fabian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12