Thread: I have some questions

I have some questions

I'm a newbie to Knoppix. I installed it to HD a couple of weeks ago, and I find it a lot nicer than windows. But I have a few problems with it. I have a Toshiba Tecra S1, the 1.3 ghz one, with 256MB of RAM.

First, I have a Belkin wireless notebook network card F5D7010xx (that's what it says on it). If I put it into the PCMCIA slot, when I boot to Knoppix, it doesn't do anything. The activity lights don't come on either. How can I fix this? Sorry if there's some sort of command I have to use, but as I say, I'm a newbie. In the meantime I've been using the built-in wireless. But my PCMCIA card is slower than the built in.

Secondly, when I use my built in wireless, I can't pick up my server. It doesn't have a built in wireless card; it has a Belkin wireless desktop network card F5D7000uk. Which is 802.11g. The wireless in my laptop is 802.11b. I don't think it's because of compatibilty with the different standards, number 1, the wireless desktop card is backwards compatible. And number 2, when I use the built-in wireless with the server, it works fine, it connects at 11MBPS. I think it might be because my server is running on Windows XP Service Pack 2, which is incredibly mega picky about security. The only way to conect to my server is to have the server connect to my access point (again Belkin, a wireless network access point F5D6130u). That's 802.11b.

I have quite a few problems. My next one is that I can't get my microsoft optical notebook mouse (this was bought when I hadn't yet discovered Knoppix) to work. It gets power; the LED on the bottom is working. But the cursor doesn't move and I can't scroll using the scrol wheel. I tried the modprobe command with various different arguments, with no avail.

In the control center thing for power controls, first of all, it completely ignores my settings for standby after a certain amount of time etc. And on the 'laptop battery' sub-bit, it complains about my computer having a partial ACPI configuration, and that I need to rebuild my kernel. *worries*. I looked into rebuilding Llinux kernels, it looks scary. Is there any easy way to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Senior Member registered user

Re: I have some questions

Quote Originally Posted by ichi
    I'm a newbie to Knoppix. I installed it to HD a couple of weeks ago, and I find it a lot nicer than windows. But I have a few problems with it. I have a Toshiba Tecra S1, the 1.3 ghz one, with 256MB of RAM.

First, I have a Belkin wireless notebook network card F5D7010xx (that's what it says on it). If I put it into the PCMCIA slot, when I boot to Knoppix, it doesn't do anything. The activity lights don't come on either. How can I fix this? Sorry if there's some sort of command I have to use, but as I say, I'm a newbie. In the meantime I've been using the built-in wireless. But my PCMCIA card is slower than the built in.

Secondly, when I use my built in wireless, I can't pick up my server. It doesn't have a built in wireless card; it has a Belkin wireless desktop network card F5D7000uk. Which is 802.11g. The wireless in my laptop is 802.11b. I don't think it's because of compatibilty with the different standards, number 1, the wireless desktop card is backwards compatible. And number 2, when I use the built-in wireless with the server, it works fine, it connects at 11MBPS. I think it might be because my server is running on Windows XP Service Pack 2, which is incredibly mega picky about security. The only way to conect to my server is to have the server connect to my access point (again Belkin, a wireless network access point F5D6130u). That's 802.11b.
    Not sure I follow. Networking is ok with the builtin wireless but you'd rather use the slower pcmcia card that doesn't work 'out of the box'? Also you say 'you can't pick up your server.' What does 'pick up' mean? I did not know that wireless cards could do heavy lifting. If you're trying to access a server on your LAN that runs windows you might try Samba or set up a free ssh server on the windows box (like Cygwin) and use ssh.

I have quite a few problems. My next one is that I can't get my microsoft optical notebook mouse (this was bought when I hadn't yet discovered Knoppix) to work. It gets power; the LED on the bottom is working. But the cursor doesn't move and I can't scroll using the scrol wheel. I tried the modprobe command with various different arguments, with no avail.
    No idea on this one really. Logitech wireless mice work fine w/ any LInux I have ever tried. At one time there was a cheatcode you could pas for wheelmice. Dunno if it will help or not.

In the control center thing for power controls, first of all, it completely ignores my settings for standby after a certain amount of time etc. And on the 'laptop battery' sub-bit, it complains about my computer having a partial ACPI configuration, and that I need to rebuild my kernel. *worries*. I looked into rebuilding Llinux kernels, it looks scary. Is there any easy way to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
    There is an easy way to fix it. Get a distro like Kanotix that has support for ACPI built in. Oh and BTW rebuilding a kernel is not that hard especially when it's done the Debian way.

No, sorry, I think I typed it wrongly. My PCMCIA is faster. I'm pretty used to Windows networking...I mean, when I turn on the built-in wireless, it just...works. If my access point's switched on. I can browse internet, can access windows shares with samba...all works fine. But I remove the access point from the equation, I can't do anything.

Can you recomend any good tutorials online that show how to rebuild a Linux kernel with Debian?

Senior Member registered user
    Well sure I can. It just so happens that I wrote one. There are certainly others out there.