Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TEXT MODE..............

TEXT MODE..............

This is probably a little weird, but lately I have been running Knoppix on Run Level 2.......text mode. It's really been fun learning codes and surfing the web with eLinks. Has anyone else experimented with this? I'm in text mode now, and it is so addictively old school I might not go back, lol.

Senior Member registered user

Re: TEXT MODE..............

Quote Originally Posted by rquiggle
    This is probably a little weird, but lately I have been running Knoppix on Run Level 2.......text mode. It's really been fun learning codes and surfing the web with eLinks. Has anyone else experimented with this? I'm in text mode now, and it is so addictively old school I might not go back, lol.
    Well I routinely log into remote machines through ssh. For example our firewall at work does not allow IRC thorugh so I log into my box at home and run irssi from there. On those occasions when I'm forced to use Xchat I'm almost lost with the interface and it just takes longer to get things done. One bad habit I have tho when logged into multiple machines is not paying attention to which terminal I type 'reboot' in. Ooops! I rebooted the server again! Sorry....

Hmmmm I should write a script that prompts me 'Are you sure you want to reboot the server you idiot?'

Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Hmmmm I should write a script that prompts me 'Are you sure you want to reboot the server you idiot?'
    I try never to have several root sessions to different hosts at the same time. And the host name should always be included in your shell prompt, it helps one stay alert.

Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    I try never to have several root sessions to different hosts at the same time. And the host name should always be included in your shell prompt, it helps one stay alert.
    Well of course the hostname is there but it doesn't matter. When things get busy sometimes you just make mistakes!

Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    Well of course the hostname is there but it doesn't matter. When things get busy sometimes you just make mistakes!
    I had the reverse problem...

I'd be doing four or five things on my terminal, when a Sys Admin states they need "this" system brought in for upgrading... So, I'd link to the system, send out the customary: "this system needs to go in for service, please log out." - keep checking back on it, to see when no one is using it, and then send the shutdown to it. Only to find, I've mistakenly been in my own systems window at the time... I'd wait a few minutes, usually walking down the cublicles on the way, to see if anyone needs any help, only to find, when I get to the system I was shutting down, that it was still up, the messages I sent, still on a console screen. So, I'd down the system locally, wait for it to be completely down, unplug it all, then transport. When I get back to my own system, thats when I'd find, my system was the one completely shut down...

Nice thing was, at least I wasn't doing this to anyone else's system, like the President, Vice, etc... I could have gotten a bad name within the company, if I had, I might have been known as the random shutdown artist, picking any system at random, and shutting it down... I did make a collosal boo-boo once. I thought that the name of a "co-worker's" computer was something, logged into it remotely, and gave them "roaches", only to find it was the President of the company - found this out, when he called me, saying: "I don't know what I did, but, can you help me? I've got these 'bugs' running around on my screen." -=- I did some fancy dancing to get around the idea that "I" had done it to them...

as my "main" computer is a P1@100Mhz i am more or less forced there. otoh i am not handicaped by it (ok no films and so but...).
    i think it is a great way to loose those popups and banners...

Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    as my "main" computer is a P1@100Mhz i am more or less forced there. otoh i am not handicaped by it (ok no films and so but...).
    i think it is a great way to loose those popups and banners...
    You can still watch movies.

Knoppix includes aaxine (ascii art)

yes it does, but as i have no CD on that, and a limited hdd.
    floppies do not have room for much in the way of films, and NO aaXine wont quite be good enough on that, it will b miuch too slow.

I HAD a better Laptop (1./Ghz 512Ram, 40G hdd, dvd+-RW...). that is no more, made a stupid mistake and... eeh, lets just say that i am saving for a new.

Quote Originally Posted by rquiggle
    You must also check out mc if you have not already. It does so many things and is indispensible for file browsing, ftp and ssh and a host of other things. The man page for mc is a complete novel!

OErjan,

You just reminded me of a question, I've been wondering about it, and figure, you brought the subject up, maybe, someone has the answer ?

First, I havent made the "leap" to dvd writting yet, but a friend has, and on one of our trips to the "local" puter supplies, had a chance to view what I would be getting myself into... With CD's, you just have CD-R and CD-RW, but, with dvd's, you have a plus minus thing, very confusing to me...

What are all the media options for DVD writting, and what do they / dont do they, do ???

You got DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW, I think thats what I remember, whats with the plus and the minus thing? Can someone explain this, my friend usually "looks up" to my expertise in computers, and I am at a complete loss of this technology. Not to mention, that someday, I will be in this arena, and want to make a "knowledgable" decision when I purchase.

Thanks to any, and all, feedback,
    Ms. Cuddles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast