Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: knoppix is slooooooowwwww

knoppix is slooooooowwwww

Ok, after finally solving the burning issue, knoppix boots then a)it takes forever to finish loading,b)then when it finally finishes i can click on maybe one icon then it freezes....what gives

Senior Member registered user

Re: knoppix is slooooooowwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmagic97_99
    Ok, after finally solving the burning issue, knoppix boots then a)it takes forever to finish loading,b)then when it finally finishes i can click on maybe one icon then it freezes....what gives
    Okay, I experienced today that Knoppix-3.2-2003-04-28 boots slowly too, you see the background for about 10s, then the KDE boot-thingy comes up. Please specify "forever"

You could first try good ol' " knoppix checkcd" cheatcode (press F2, enter text and press [Enter]). This obviously shouldn't produce a failure

If it does fail, I would advice to put knoppix on your HD, and I don't mean installing(!). Download CdMage (a windows program), but any ISO mounting/editing software that can do file extraction would work (ex: deamon tools). Use it to extract the KNOPPIX directory from the downloaded ISO to any partition you like. Put it in the root though, like "D:\KNOPPIX\", else the bootfloppy won't find it. Then use mkfloppy.bat in the extracted KNOPPIX directory to generate a bootfloppy. Boot from it (dûh ).

If the cdcheck was correct you could still try the bootfloppy or do the following. Try booting to a simpler windowmanager (aka anything but KDE), use the cheatcodes, since a frozen Knoppix is not something you would want. Fingers crossed . And if it works you can now easely start a browser and post the output of "sudo dmesg" and "sudo lspci -v", run these commands from a console.

If it still doesn't work, boot with the cheat code "knoppix 2", it will boot to the bash commandline interface, the same environment as you see on the consoles under KDE. Type "sudo dmesg | more" and "sudo lspci -v | more". Write down anything that looks suspicious and post it to the forum so we can see into it. To shutdown Knoppix type "shutdown -h now", to reboot "shutdown -r now".

Do you have any kind of "special" hardware, USB stuff and the such?

Re: knoppix is slooooooowwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmagic97_99
    How much ram?

Member registered user
    I think a lot of it has to do with KDE 3.1. I think KDE has grown rather large with this release and it requires more RAM than before.

Junior Member registered user
    I have tried the KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-03-24-EN release (i will try the 28 soon) and have noticed the MAJOR slowdown, and I have tried it on modern machines (512 RAM or more, athlon 1700+'s, 2200+'s) it doesn't matter how fast the machine is, the old version booted and operated much quicker.

No answers? Nobody else has experienced the slowdown?

Sorry IoN - it works quite well for me on my old 550. Of course slow is a relative term. Perhaps if you had a stopwatch and timed it booting it might take a few seconds longer but nothing abnormal. At least not for me.

Hmm it's strange, what I will do is boot the old one (and provide the exact version number) and then the new, and compare with the newest version.

I will time from my pressing the enter key to when KDE is fully at the desktop.

Do you think that the quality of CDs is the issue? I don't think it is, because I used the same cheap kind with the older version of Knoppix, but I guess I could try different CDs. Hmm.

By the way when I say slow, I mean old knoppix, less than 2 minute bootup, new knoppix, over 5 to 10 minute bootup.

That certainly is a long time- not normal at all. I have seen some of the poorere quality media effect results on a burn. It wouldn't be too hard to find out - I would get another .iso and some different media. Make sure to check the md5 sum before you burn. Other than that........??

A thought - if you have bad media - (read "cheap" media), and the drive is re-reading a bad spot over and over and finally get's it right, that could slow it down. If you have a fast burner, try burning at a slower speed, like 4x. Another thing that slows it down is waiting for a DHCP address. How many network cards are in the machine you have? Who is providing an address to the machine? If there is no DHCP server, it will take a little while to time-out.

Another thing to try is booting with DMA (Direct memory access). Specify

knoppix dma

on the boot prompt and see if that helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast