Thread: Internet Connectivity

Internet Connectivity

Never mind what I said about having it fixed. I had to do it a couple of times as the settings do not seem to be persistent. While it worked a couple of times, it does not seem to be working now. AGAIN, help please. And, yes I did go thru the several hundred posts which were mostly about wireless.

Senior Member registered user
    How about post your /etc/network/interfaces.

iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.140
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.1.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway 192.168.1.1

Thank you for getting back to me. I was about to give up on Linux and switch to OS2.

Senior Member registered user
    Your interfaces looks fine to me.
    I've read your other post before, I don't really understand.
    Do you want to use auto ip (DHCP) or static ip? OR your static ip does not stick when you boot?

If your ip don't stick, you cooould try edit /etc/init.d/knopppix-autoconfig:

Find line : pump -i $DEVICE >/dev/null 2>&1 &

It should look like this:

trap 2 3 11
    #pump -i $DEVICE >/dev/null 2>&1 & (*comment out)
    /etc/init.d/networking restart (*add this line)
    trap "" 2 3 11

Save the file.
    Do a networkcard configuration again.
    Reboot to see if that do any change.

If that doesn't work, get Kanotix which has resolve this problem.
    http://kanotix.com/info/index.php

I decided to try ANOTHER HD install and it is booting and the internet is working. Don't know what I might have done differently. Connection is DHCP. Let me know if you disagree but no real reason for DHCP over static other than not having to know mask, dns address etc. I have multiple XP boxes and want to gradually move to Linux if I find I can live without my XP apps. You mentioned Kanotix which I looked at while install taking place. Some posts make issue with Knoppix being made for CD install and as though another would be better HD install. Debian (I realize Debian is pretty much Knoppix install), Kanotix any better than Knoppix? I really appreciate your input and will file them away as I have more machines to move to the ix world. I did 2 1/2 years of Unix admin about 20 years ago but remember very little other that I enjoyed it. No GUI then.
    Thanks again,
    map

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeden
    Let me know if you disagree but no real reason for DHCP over static other than not having to know mask, dns address etc.......
    Reasons for DHCP over Static:

System takes care of it all for you, less problems for novices getting settings right and not missing something.

Makes it easy for someone to bring their laptop to your location and just "jack -in" (or even attach wirelessly when you give them a SSID and a WEP key to set).

Makes it easier for you to take your computer somewhere else and just connect without having to deal with turning off static settings.

Some "appliances", such as network printers, are built to use it "out of the box" and are much easier to work with if DHCP is there (even if you plan on giving them a static address later).

Reasons for Static over DHCP:

Some routers will not assign the same IP address to the same computer after a reboot (but some have a feature that provides for this). This makes it a real problem if you are forwarding ports in the router for servers, and makes it harder to track local systems by IP addresses.

Gee, there may be others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Note: You can mix DHCP and Static. Let the router hand out a range of IP addresses (like 192.168.xxx.100 to 192.168.xxx.200) and use DHCP where it makes the most sense. For servers that you want to have a static IP address, assign them addresses above or below this range.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeden
    I decided to try ANOTHER HD install and it is booting and the internet is working. Don't know what I might have done differently. Connection is DHCP. Let me know if you disagree but no real reason for DHCP over static other than not having to know mask, dns address etc. I have multiple XP boxes and want to gradually move to Linux if I find I can live without my XP apps. You mentioned Kanotix which I looked at while install taking place. Some posts make issue with Knoppix being made for CD install and as though another would be better HD install. Debian (I realize Debian is pretty much Knoppix install), Kanotix any better than Knoppix? I really appreciate your input and will file them away as I have more machines to move to the ix world. I did 2 1/2 years of Unix admin about 20 years ago but remember very little other that I enjoyed it. No GUI then.
    Thanks again,
    map
    If you want a nice distro to try as a nice 'Live-CD-with-easy-HD-install' try MEPIS. Its commercial but you can try for free and register if you like. I have always had kernel panic trying to boot Kanotix, whereas all other live CDs have worked perfectly!

While Knoppix was my first foray into Linux; my first HD install is MEPIS because I too heard about issues to do with HD install and I wanted something simple as a novice. MEPIS is excellent with a similarly helpful community. It is really easy to install. I did it

It has great hardware detection, and similar wireless support as Knoppix. If you can get it to work under Knoppix I guess you can get it to work under MEPIS. I did with my Belkin cards under ndiswrapper.

You can download the iso from here: http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=92

Its home site is:
    http://www.simplymepis.org/
    You can also download from here at a price or get the CD sent to you.
    It has a useful community fora too.

Another excellent community site is:
    http://mepislovers.com/

I can certainly recommend MEPIS. I doubt it will ever come off my hard-drive, notwithstanding I will eventually try other distros. I have even forked out cash to support it ...

Regards,

Grant D. Vallance