Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flight Simulations...

Senior Member registered user

Flight Simulations...

I did an apt-get install of flightgear - first of all, its a HUGE download, somewhere in the size of 3/4 GB, and after installing, it runs...

It may be my system, but it runs slow, and I've got a 1.4 GHz AMD, with a 8x NVidia card - but, I think the "game" itself, is comparable to what M$ is shipping under the name "Flight Simulator". The controls would probably be "excellent" if I had a "flight" input device, but using the mouse wasnt that difficult. I managed to taxi to runway, lift-off, and then crash into the ocean. ( with a few "straight up" climbs, resulting in engine stalls. ) I havent figured out where you can set environments, locations, and times at... So, I was "who-knows-where" and in the dark, and I think the plane was a cessna, "prop-job". I tend to do a apt-cache search for action, or arcade games, at least once a week, to see if anything is new, or excitting out in the world, and this was my first attempt at "simulations" - Sometimes, you just got to get in a plane, and crash a few times

The cockpit "looks", to my "untrained eye", to be quite authentic, lots of dials, controls, switches, levels, etc... and the "HUD" ( Heads Up Display ) looked good. Now, if I can find out where the "settings" are, maybe a nice LearJet, or something on the "edge", like a "sound-breaker" plane, is next to be in line ??? Nothing more fun than to fly faster than the speed of sound, and then crash [giggle] - ( warning - bad 9/11 thought follows ) Maybe I can load a scenery of N.Y. and go after the twin towers, or something ?

Anyone have any good flight simulator games that they have tried - maybe something a little less "authentic" and a little more "foregiving" of a newbie Aeronatical clutz ??? [giggle]

Wow, sounds neat.

Have tried going to the website, the usually have some sort of manual for serious games like that.

Anyone have any good flight simulator games that they have tried - maybe something a little less "authentic" and a little more "foregiving" of a newbie Aeronatical clutz ??? [giggle]
    where you can shoot down other planes, blow up buildings, do a gta in mid air... mwahahahaha, its sound like just the practice i need to do my EVIL things... mwahahahahaha

I tried to get flightgear to go with both Knoppix 3.4 & Kanotix BH9 but I get a 'segmentation fault' with both.

Anyone got a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    I tried to get flightgear to go with both Knoppix 3.4 & Kanotix BH9 but I get a 'segmentation fault' with both.

Anyone got a solution?
    Not sure about this, CrashedAgain, but, did you also install the xxxx-music package as well, it is optional ? I installed the flightgear game, its xxxxx-data, and the xxxxxx-music -=- again, not sure, but maybe the music isnt actually optional if it makes calls to the "music" when it isnt there ( i.e. the -music is marked as "optional" but in the program it may not be ? ) -=- Just a guess

and then you fix the game. AND THEN YOu PLAY IT LIKE THERE IS NO TOMMOROW!!!!

Junior Member registered user
    Im new to knoppix how do I install the game. do i just download and run sorry not sure how it goes running a os off a cd
    do I need to install knoppix on my hdd

Quote Originally Posted by made2000
    Im new to knoppix how do I install the game. do i just download and run sorry not sure how it goes running a os off a cd
    Made2000,

I am not sure if "flightgear" can be run off the CD, I have a HDD install, if you want to run "anything" off the Live CD, you want to use klik ( thats KLIK in lowercase ). Never installed programs, actually called "packages" in Debian / Knoppix running off the CD, but, from what I know about it, the klik program lets "some" packages install into a "persistant home" location, instead of where they usually install when you have hard drive installed Knoppix. I am not even sure "how" you go about finding out if a program ( package ) is able to be gotten with kilk. This might be a subject to bring up in the "Klik Forum" - as for installing packages, when you have installed the OS, as in a hard drive install, you would use apt. The process to install a package after you have hard drive installed Knoppix would be as follows: apt-get update - and then apt-get install something, or in the case of "flightgear" you would use apt-get install flightgear -=- but this only works if you have hard drive installed. The process of installing a package when you are running off the CD, uses the process of klik to accomplish the install of the package, and I dont know how to do that....

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by made2000
    YOu can try downloading the source and installing from there, you can change the install directory to your home (do ./confiure --help to see how)
    Just be sure to have neough space.

i recond it would be easyer and a hell lot better (+ faster), if you have knoppix installed on your hard drive, and then load the game onto the hard drive, then you dont have to be limited by the speed of the cd drive... now... i need a bigger hard dive...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast