Thread: Can you Use WINE to run Nascar Racing 2003 ?

Can you Use WINE to run Nascar Racing 2003 ?

Im new to this Knoppix an Linux O/S but i must say it's far better then any MS O/S i have used.
    The question i have is i play a few different online games an Nascar Racing 2003 as well as HL-2 and i wondered if the WINE Prg thats in Knoppix will run these ? An if so is there anywhere that i can get info on setting it up correctly ? Also is there any other Prg that will run Windows Games in Linux ?

Junior Member registered user

Re: Can you Use WINE to run Nascar Racing 2003 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tazworld
    Im new to this Knoppix an Linux O/S but i must say it's far better then any MS O/S i have used.
    The question i have is i play a few different online games an Nascar Racing 2003 as well as HL-2 and i wondered if the WINE Prg thats in Knoppix will run these ? An if so is there anywhere that i can get info on setting it up correctly ? Also is there any other Prg that will run Windows Games in Linux ?
    There is a great 3D simulation of NASCAR racing in a Linux app called TORCS.
    No WINE needed.

Senior Member registered user
    Also is there any other Prg that will run Windows Games in Linux ?
    wine should do it...

H-L 2? well... personally i dont know if it will correctly work in linux, considering of the problems i am having with it (the program saying that me registration code has already been used (WTF)). But, if you try... please tell us..

Senior Member registered user

Quote Originally Posted by Tazworld
    TazWorld, the answer, as with many, is two-fold...

WINE will play any game that does NOT need "Direct-X" support. Wine does not contain the "proprietary" modules for 3D graphics, and audio that are contianed in the Direct-X modules - its a Microsoft thing...

On the other hand, dont ever tell someone who runs Linux, they cant do something, it only fuels the need for "someone" to create a Linux version of what is missing... Another program / emulator has been created that accomodates the need for Linux games that come from Windows, they require Direct-X support... It used to be called "WineX", which has been released now, through a company that calls it "Cedega", and a group of followers that are known as "TransGamers"... It does cost to have the program, but, the cost is negligable compared to the cost of many of the games you can purchase... They have a trial version, or "demo" version, that you can try out, before you out-right buy it...

If you need Direct-X support for any of your games, try doing a search on Knoppix.net for either winex or cedega - one of them, that I think I had started the thread on, will have the web link to the company, and the program... Unless you just want to search the web for the location... You can try a web search for transgaming ...

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by chris-harry
    Also is there any other Prg that will run Windows Games in Linux ?
    wine should do it...

H-L 2? well... personally i dont know if it will correctly work in linux, considering of the problems i am having with it (the program saying that me registration code has already been used (WTF)). But, if you try... please tell us..
    Well the Bad News is that There are a FEW SERVERS ONLINE that are Stealing that info when you logon them to play Multiplayer Mode You may wanna E Mail Steam or Call Them about this issue. If anything they can Replace your CD or Reg Code if you can prove you have the Original CD's. This happened to a friend of mine last week here "Omaha,NE" And it seems that an Employee at Best Buy was opening up the HL-2 Boxes an copying the Reg Codes an posting them online. Give it a try an let me know how ya make out. An thanks for your input on the question i asked

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGeek
    There is a great 3D simulation of NASCAR racing in a Linux app called TORCS.
    No WINE needed.
    Grey im doing a Search for that Game right now an Thank You for the Heads Up on it. Seeing how im NEW to linux an all Im not sure what games are available for it. I did find that there are a few games i have that have been ported to Linux so im looking at them also.

Quote Originally Posted by "Cuddles
    WINE will play any game that does NOT need "Direct-X" support. Wine does not contain the "proprietary" modules for 3D graphics, and audio that are contianed in the Direct-X modules - its a Microsoft thing...
    On the other hand, dont ever tell someone who runs Linux, they cant do something, it only fuels the need for "someone" to create a Linux version of what is missing... Another program / emulator has been created that accomodates the need for Linux games that come from Windows, they require Direct-X support... It used to be called "WineX", which has been released now, through a company that calls it "Cedega", and a group of followers that are known as "TransGamers"... It does cost to have the program, but, the cost is negligable compared to the cost of many of the games you can purchase... They have a trial version, or "demo" version, that you can try out, before you out-right buy it...

If you need Direct-X support for any of your games, try doing a search on Knoppix.net for either [b
    winex[/b] or cedega - one of them, that I think I had started the thread on, will have the web link to the company, and the program... Unless you just want to search the web for the location... You can try a web search for transgaming ...

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles
    Yes it sure does. I can run the game under Open GL or Direct X so that is a plus i suppose. I think i have that WineX here. Not sure how old it is LoL not older then me i bet Lol. Will give this a try an see what happens. Thanks for the Help

UPDATE :

I did a search online an Found Some Good Info On Running Games as fr as what will an wont work at these URL'S Below
    Also found this info on my Nascar Question >http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1517

Wine Database of App's an Games http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?catId=0

Running App's an Games http://frankscorner.org/index.php

Info On Steam an Half Life an Others http://www.linux-gamers.net

Again let me Thank The Folks that replied to my post here. An hope you all have a Happy and Safe New Year. ..