Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kanotix - how do I install?

Administrator Site Admin-

Kanotix - how do I install?

I've seen lots of talk on these forums that Kanotix is a good choice for a Live CD distro that installs with few problems. But I booted it up tonight with the intent of putting it (at least for a little while) on a hard drive. But I can't find anything in the menus to get me started installing it. Heck, I can't even find stuff in the menu for a persistant home directory or configuration files like Knoppix has. Can someone who recommends Kanotix for hard drive install point me in the right direction for the information to install it?

P.S. I'm using a version 9 (9-2004-A) release that I burned a month or so ago. Still have not downloaded 10 yet, if that makes any difference.

Senior Member registered user
    Try looking again for saving configuration and setting up a persistent home. I think it's in the Knoppix subfolder on the side bar of Kanotix.

Try the Kanotix forum for HD install.

drb

sudo kanotix-installer-latest-web will download and run the latest installer. You can also use the installer already located on the disc: sudo kanotix-installer BTW I would suggest using GRUB and not lilo.

Member registered user
    Another Kanotix convert, Enjoy!

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    sudo kanotix-installer-latest-web will download and run the latest installer. ......
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot at some point, but I just got Debain installed today from the Sarge "Business card" CD (minimal Debain that downloads what it needs from the internet. Hasn't gone very well, took 3 shots including the long download delays to et something up. Screen resolution isn't letting me set it over 800x600 (knoppix gets 1024x178 on the same box by default). No audio. The installation was also pretty frustrating, as I couldn't get it to let me really partition things as I wanted; ended up having to take the "guided partitioning" and use all the rest of the disk (small Win98 partition there).

On the bright side, I was able to get packages downloaded, installed and running. And I was able to use the network features to open the network, go to another local machine and transfer files to and from the Windows system, something I've never managed to get working with Knoppix or Kanotix.

So sarge is going to stay on the system for at least a few more days while I play with it a little more, then I can wipe it out and give the Kanotix installer a shot.

Synaptic works great in kanotix. That's the way I upgrade. I usually only upgrade or install what I need,like Firefox and extra games, haven't gone for the big upgrade because it might cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    On the bright side, I was able to get packages downloaded, installed and running. And I was able to use the network features to open the network, go to another local machine and transfer files to and from the Windows system, something I've never managed to get working with Knoppix or Kanotix.
    If you're just trying to log into smb shares, your best bet is to grab smb4k. It always sees windows shares for me and is VERY easy to use.

Adam

Junior Member registered user
    This is the best that I have tried so far. It works with my usb wifi at home (none other does!!). An Kano is fast to respond ... both in the forums and new releases.

Try it and you'll love it

How can i install my kanotix?

i have of cource some problems.

with partition magic i made 2 partitions: one for WIN and one for LINUX
    it boots the CDrom but cant load ... the only way i can run kanotix is using the "fromhd=/dev/hda1" parameter (copied the folder knoppix to c:\ )

If i run the kanotix hd installer it only show 1 HD (not the partitions) and it sais that the HD is read only.

I really dont know what to do now...

ps other live cds like slax, college linux are working fine

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot at some point, but I just got Debain installed today from the Sarge "Business card" CD (minimal Debain that downloads what it needs from the internet. Hasn't gone very well, took 3 shots including the long download delays to et something up. Screen resolution isn't letting me set it over 800x600 (knoppix gets 1024x178 on the same box by default). No audio. The installation was also pretty frustrating, as I couldn't get it to let me really partition things as I wanted; ended up having to take the "guided partitioning" and use all the rest of the disk
    See, this is where I don't really understand why people use the Debian installers compared to a live CD install? I've tried the latest Sarge installer, Knoppix, Kanotix, and Mepis. After varying degrees of stuffing around you can end up at the same point with a nice Debian (unstable/sid) based system. However, the live CDs get you to that point much quicker and easier than the Sarge installer. As far as I'm concerned, the modern and most efficient way to install Debian is via a live CD.

BTW, I had that same 800x600 problem as you and I found that the Sarge installer was not installing the most appropriate X-driver. Kanotix and Mepis installed the correct radeon driver. I never got sound (alsa) going with Sarge. Also, I had fatal partitioning problems with the Sarge installer up until the very latest (RC2) which could finally see my disk correctly. So I suggest (if you want to persevere with Sarge), that you make sure you get the very latest version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast