Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: installing firefox

Junior Member registered user

installing firefox

have downloaded firefox, it has been installed and i am using it now to type this, but i don't seem to have a desktop icon and can't create it. much frustration!!!!!!
    if i close down now, i can't get back in.

Senior Member registered user
    check if it is listed in the start menu items. It should be under internet. If it isn't, run settings->menu updating tool & see if KDE's wizardry can find it. If that works, the easiest way to create a desktop icon is to drag'n'drop copy the menu itm to the desktop.

If menu update can't create the icon, you will have to create it yourself. First, find the executeable file, it should be in /usr/bin or possibly /usr/sbin. Then right click on the desktop, 'create new->file->link to application' and set up a link to the firefox executeable. Rename it 'Firefox', find a suitable icon & your done. You can change the icon &/or any other properties of the link later by rt click on it & select properties.

Re: installing firefox

Quote Originally Posted by styven
    have downloaded firefox, it has been installed and i am using it now to type this, but i don't seem to have a desktop icon and can't create it. much frustration!!!!!!
    Just to try and help here, explain "cant create it" - you cant find the program to make the icon, or you can create the icon, but it doesnt work???

Can you run firefox from a terminal ( CLI ) screen? -=- if you can, then creating an icon on the desktop would just mean placing firefox in the box that asks for the command or program to run... ( I am assuming the program name is "firefox", since I run "mozilla", I can type that on any terminal screen, and get a web browser screen to fire off )

I can also have more than one "web browser" screen running, I dont have to close one to get one started - in fact, I currently have three, one for here, one for my home page, and the one I just fired off using mozilla in my "user" terminal screen, just to prove I can run the command through a CLI

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Re: installing firefox

Quote Originally Posted by styven
    Well simply drag the executable to the desktop. It sounds like you got the tarball from mozilla instead of using apt-get (why i don't know) but anyway that will do it.

Thanks for your reponses cuddles and crashed, so you know i am complletely new this linux game and already i am missing the install wizards from the windows world. Firefox is the only program so far i have come across that installed itself in a simple fashion and in a similar way to what i am used to.

To answer cuddles query, in windows if you right click a file or program you can click " create shortcut" , this appears on the desktop as an icon. As far as running from a terminal screen, this does not mean a lot to me although i am wiilling to learn.

Similar response to crashed again, i will have a go at your suggestions (tried menu update, no go), although it all looks a bit over my head at this stage, not entirely happy about having to go through all this just to get an icon, most programmes i ever installed can't wait to clutter up the desktop.

Have also downloaded "thunderbird" and "digikam" and cannot install these, this is only down to my ignorance re linux, be prepared for more pitifull cries for help!!!!!

You might want to read this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638
    For installing a program in Debian/Knoppix you mainly use apt:
    su (to become root, or use a root shell)
    dselect update (do this first so apt will know what's available)
    apt-cache search firefox (test this) (don't have to be root for this)
    apt-cache show mozilla-firefox (test this) (don't have to be root for this)
    apt-cache policy mozilla-firefox (test this) (don't have to be root for this)
    apt-get install mozilla-firefox -s (test this)
    apt-get install mozilla-firefox (this would actually install firefox)
    apt-get remove mozilla-firefox (to remove it)
    apt-get --purge remove mozilla-firefox (to remove firefox and configuration files for it)

Once installed run update-menus as user to get it to the menu. If you can't find it look under the Debian menu item.

thank you for your response mzilikazi,

when i downloaded firefox, i clicked on file that appears on my desktop "installer.tar.gz.part", eventually i find myself in a folder "firefox installer" and i click on another file of the same name.

Do i take it that apt-get is an installer programme, if so i should have this programme somewhere.

When firefox had finished installing, it gave the option to run itself upon clicking the finish button, this i did, it worked fine, now i have closed it down i cannot run it as it does not appear in the start menu. I have just installed it again and still no joy

Markus, thanks for that, but i am missing something............

what is apt, and where do i find it?

I take it that i have to type all this into this somewhere, is the terminal programme where i find a root shell, i know i can type stuff in there, but most of what i type does nothing!!!!!!!!!!!

Apt is a package manager/installer which you run by commands in a terminal.
    A terminal is the monitor icon on the kicker (task bar).
    By typing su you become root (admin), exit it with Ctrl-d.
    It's the same as opening a root shell directly from Kmenu -> Knoppix -> Root Shell.

EDIT: If you want a GUI, try Kmenu -> System -> KPackage

Markus, i am getting somewhere here............

ran your text as root in the shell, only thing is i have installed a version of firefox, complete with desktop icon but it is not the version 1.0 i downloaded, any ideas.

Also do install mozilla thunderbird and digikam the same way by putting digikam in place of firefox etc...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast