Thread: Screensaver Workaround

Junior Member registered user

Screensaver Workaround

Still having problems with the screensaver in Knoppix? Here's another workaround. Install the xscreensaver package from Debian.org. Then open the “Control Center” in KDE. Select the “Appearance and Themes / Screensaver'' page. Turn off the “Enable Screensaver'' checkbox. Next, find the Autostart directory (/home/user/.kde/Autostart). Create a file in your Autostart directory called “xscreensaver.desktop” that contains the following five lines:

[Desktop Entry]
    Exec=xscreensaver
    Name=XScreensaver
    Type=Application
    X-KDE-StartupNotify=false

Now, when you next boot, xscreensaver will be your default screensaver application. The easiest way to configure xscreensaver after this is to simply run the xscreensaver-demo program (type “xscreensaver-demo” in the terminal – don't leave a space) and change the settings through the GUI. For more info you can visit http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#xdm.

Senior Member registered user
    Recently installed kanotix & added screensavers, all screensavers work in kanotix.

Hubby installed latest and greatest Knoppix on my puter. Wiped out whole hard disk drive in case of messy junk like viruses and spyware. No MORE Windows.

No more screensavers either. I'm bummed.

So okay after two hours searching for programs that don't exist, I try downloading kscreensaver and xscreensaver from Debian site. I got them in my file system and I got them to unzip, but they ain'f installing. Hubby has no ideas. He's never installed a screensaver before. For this I spent two hundrend bucks to send him to school to learn Linux???

Please pass specific instructions written for blonds or where I can find such. I also need to install all my fave fonts in Open Office, and hubby doesn't know how to do that either.

Blond, stupid, FORMER Windows user

Linux is for blondes too!

I’m still trying to get Microsoft fonts installed on my system so you’ll need someone more knowledgeable about that than me...
    Meanwhile, you might find the Knoppix Tutorial here helpful (http://www.eleli.de/knoppix/docs/tut...ish/index.html) and you might also want to look at the review here: (http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?res...review-knoppix). Currently I'm using Debian Sarge. Knoppix is based on Debian but is considerably easier to install. Mepis is also another excellent distribution, especially for newbies. You might want to check that out as well...
    Wish I could be more help!

Senior Member registered user
    Scrensaver installation: K-> System -> Kpackage -> Special-> APT: Debian -> Update; wait; after that Search kscreensaver and install automagically... usualy it works.

Member registered user
    Spacewing: As tdjokic suggests, use "apt-get" or "synaptic" to download and install your screensavers, fonts or anything else you need. Search this forum and you'll find lots of past posts and how-to's. I tend to use synaptic more (it should be in your kmenu => system => synaptic package manager). When it's launched, do a "reload" (which is the same as apt-get's update) then do a search for "screensaver". It's -much- easier to use than anything Windoze uses... trust me, I'm a reforming M$oft user too

No_name: thanks for the heads up. You must be psychic 'cause I was just gonna do a search on how to get the screensavers to work. I'd learned that there are 2 screensaver apps in Knoppix/Kanotix and that the fix was to turn off one... but how to auto-load xscreensaver was something I didn't know... thanks!

How to install Microsoft Fonts in Knoppix

You can download the Microsoft font files here:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=105355
    Download the cabextract utility from Debian.org http://packages.debian.org/cabextract and install. To use cabextract, open a terminal, cd to the folder where you have the Microsoft font files, type cabextract followed by the name of the font file, e.g. cabextract arial32.exe. This will extract the fonts. In konqueror, go to the folder, right-click on any of the extracted TTF’s, click on Actions, Install – and Bob’s your father’s brother! Now you can use Arial in Open Office – just like me!

M$ Fonts

Hey No Name and Bigkahuna

Say what???
    I did mention I was blond didn't I?

Also, Hubby has changed the flavor of Linux on my puter - again. It's now Ubuntu. So now I've got screen savers sometimes, but where did my Konqueror go?

I am so lost.

Sorry about all the gobbledygook! Rather than Ubuntu, perhaps you’d better try a more newbie-friendly, KDE-based distribution like Mepis or SUSE for now (or even Debian 3.1 which is a whole lot easier to install than the previous version and comes with almost every application known to humankind in 14 CD’s, but you’ll be good to go with just 2 CDs). However, I should add that part of the fascination of working with Linux comes from finding out more about the technical stuff…Be patient and do some reading. That's what I did. I've been using Linux for a little over a year now, and no way am I going back to MICROCRAP (now I sound like a linux-nut).