Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this is what i got can someone help me?

Junior Member registered user

this is what i got can someone help me?

ok i have a win 95 with 64mb of ram, 5gig hd i think, 100mhz processor. wont boot from cd know mater what. i have knoppix 3.6 live cd. it also wont boot from network it will only boot from hd and floppy.no usb. and i want to have my own server using appache. what can i do to install knoppix on this computer so i will be able to same files of with you cant do running it from a cd. plz help me!!!!????

thanks, cpc

Senior Member registered user
    here are a qoute from http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15293& .
    where rrfish72 posts some help on getting Knoppix going, hope it helps.

Code:
    If your BIOS does not support el torito booting from CD, you can create
    two bootable floppy disks by issuing (from Knoppix running on a different
    machine) the command "mkbootfloppy", which will create a bootable
    Kernel-disk plus a disk containing the initial ramdisk, which will be
    prompted for at boottime.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    Code:
    If your BIOS does not support el torito booting from CD, you can create
    two bootable floppy disks by issuing (from Knoppix running on a different
    machine) the command "mkbootfloppy", which will create a bootable
    Kernel-disk plus a disk containing the initial ramdisk, which will be
    prompted for at boottime.
    Or, if your BIOS does not support booting from CD (and even if it does), you can use the simplier and more powerful boot manager programs that will let you boot any CD, not just Knoppix. Good choices are Smart Boot Manager or XOSL. XOSL is a bit more powerful, better looking, includes Ranish Partition Manager, and (IMHO) somewhat easier to use (although it does require the ability to follow instructions). On the downside it is larger, too large to just install in the MBR block, it requires either a small partition or can share partition space with another OS. Smart Boot Manager works wonders too. Is small enough to fit in the MBR space. And with either of these installed on your hard drive you can boot from floppy, hard drive or CD, all without ever having to mess with the boot order in your BIOS (just leave it set to boot from hard drive and the boot manager will start).

With either of these you install right to hard disk and then never touch a floppy. The XOSL install is a bit more complex; with Smart Boot Manager you just run a one line command from the shell in your running OS and it's installed and ready to go the next time you boot.

i tryed that and it didnt work i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all. i have it in a file labeled "sbootmgr.dsk" but i cant get it to run from the floppy at all whated i do wrong.

thanks,cpc

Quote Originally Posted by cpc
    i tryed that and it didnt work i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all. i have it in a file labeled "sbootmgr.dsk" but i cant get it to run from the floppy at all whated i do wrong.

thanks,cpc
    That might be a disk image.

Search for

rawrite
    on google to write it to a disk.

ew

100mhz processor .... ew. for 100$ you could upgrade to a celeron 1ghz. think about it....

ok itz booting into the smart boot manager. but when i goto cd and hit enter or boot ot has an error.

"disk error! 0xAA" but itz not even spining the disk.

thanks,cpc

Administrator Site Admin-
    i tryed that and it didnt work i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all. i have it in a file labeled "sbootmgr.dsk" but i cant get it to run from the floppy at all whated i do wrong. thanks,cpc
    Not quite sure what to make of
    i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all.
    What can you figure out, and how can you not find SBM at all? A quick Google search will take you here. From there, download the DOS Excutable file. Run it from the command line, look at the options, and run it again with the right options.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    i tryed that and it didnt work i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all. i have it in a file labeled "sbootmgr.dsk" but i cant get it to run from the floppy at all whated i do wrong. thanks,cpc
    Not quite sure what to make of
    i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all.
    What can you figure out, and how can you not find SBM at all? A quick Google search will take you here. From there, download the DOS Excutable file. Run it from the command line, look at the options, and run it again with the right options.

ok i have it now read my last post on this page.
    thanks,cpc

that might happen sometimes with smart. just try a few times (by trying i mean hitting the enter key), perhaps re-incerting the cd and try again a few times (let it stop spinning before you hit enter...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast