Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install new programs when running from CDR?

How to install new programs when running from CDR?

I am using knoppix 3.6 and it has a live installer feature which seems to enable it to install new programs which are already on the distribution disk, but how can I install all the software I already have which are tar.gzipped and are not Debian distributions. I tried to install Bestcrypt using the usual 'make - make install' but it failed during the 'make install' because it tried to store some files to the CD which of course is read only. Just to make clear that I want to run knoppix from the CDR and I don't want to install it on hard disk. Also I want to run completely diskless, so any newly installed programs would have to go onto the ramdisk.

Apologies if this is in the documentation but I can't access it at the moment!

Thanks for any help

BlueGirl

Senior Member registered user
    You can't install the usual way.
    You can install using klik client
    http://klik.berlios.de/

Thanks for that shah. That is the sort of thing I was after, however there are two problems. First there doesn't seem to be a version of Bestcrypt for download and second because I'm on dial-up it would be a great hassle to download the three apps I want every time I boot knoppix. Unless there is a way to make the download from klik reside permanently on a hard drive and point klik to this as the 'download site' during future installations.

More generally if I try to install an app and it fails because it tries to write to the CD, is it not possible to redirect the installation of the app to a folder on the ramdisk? I would think that this is possible but I am a bit of a newb so don't really know.

Thanks for you help.

Oh one more drawback of click is that it only appears to work on knoppix 3.3 according to the website, and I am using 3.6

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGirl
    Oh one more drawback of click is that it only appears to work on knoppix 3.3 according to the website, and I am using 3.6
    Most will probably still work just give them a try, if it doesn't just delete the entire folder and no harm done.

Use a persistant home to save your programs, and use the myonfig=scan boot cheat.

Bluegirl, it does work in 3.6. Google klik and go to thesoftware store site. Copy and paste the wget..... stuff into the run command box in the K menu and there you go. It will take you to the active site where everything will work. KanotixUser's cheat should be knoppix myconf=scan (or config=scan)

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by rrfish72
    KanotixUser's cheat should be knoppix myconf=scan (or config=scan)

oops, thanx rrfish72, typed that with one hand and my 5 month old baby girl in the other, hehe, a little distracted.

Thanks rrfish72 and kanotixuser. I'm getting closer to what I want now, but I'm still confused about one thing. Will creating a persistent home allow me to download the apps with klik and then re-install them each time I reboot knoppix from cd? This is important because I am trying to run knoppix and any new apps in ramdisk only. I don't mind having the apps source on a hard drive, but the hard drive must never be used after the initial app install, i.e. the apps must not run on the hard drive. Can I do this?

Member registered user
    Thanks rrfish72 and kanotixuser. I'm getting closer to what I want now, but I'm still confused about one thing. Will creating a persistent home allow me to download the apps with klik and then re-install them each time I reboot knoppix from cd? This is important because I am trying to run knoppix and any new apps in ramdisk only. I don't mind having the apps source on a hard drive, but the hard drive must never be used after the initial app install, i.e. the apps must not run on the hard drive. Can I do this?
    \\

Do you have a usb jump drive? you can set your persistent home on it

If you use a persistent home then your home directory will be stored on your hard disk and therefore the applications will run from the hard disk. If you wanted to you could simply copy your klik installed applications to a folder on the hard disk and copy them back across after a reboot (so the apps would run from ramdisk) or you could even make a knoppix.sh (which is run using the config cheatcode) which will copy them across after the reboot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast