Thread: error inserting' /modules/cloop.ko' : -bad file number

error inserting' /modules/cloop.ko' : -bad file number

im completly new to linux and to knoppix... i downloaded a cd iso and burned it in nero and when i ran it i got this error ( I assume its an error )

accesseing knoppix cd at /dev/hdd..insmod: error inserting' /modules/cloop.ko: -1 bad file number

does that mean the iso didnt burn right ? I burned it twice... do i need to use a program other then nero to properly burn the iso ... or is this posibly a hardware confliction in knoppix.... Nero didnt recongnize the iso image I had to sort of manually burn it ?

Im really intreasted in converting to a linux format ... I just want to make sure I can use it on this machine first and Knoppix seems like the best way to test that out ?

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: error inserting' /modules/cloop.ko' : -bad file number

Quote Originally Posted by syruice
    Nero didnt recongnize the iso image I had to sort of manually burn it ?
    What the heck does that mean???

Did you check the md5 sum of thge iso that you downloaded?
    I suggest that you follow the documentation link near the top of this page and follow the steps in the Downloading faq for testing and burning the iso properly.

I followed the instructions for the downloading and burning of the iso image and I got the same results. The md5 checksum thing said that the file i downloaded was fine ( I redownloaded from a diffrent mirror too Just in case. Same results however.... It seems like for some reason it cant read from that part of the disk or something ? Nero said that the iso was forieghn .... ? you got me on that one ... but it burned it anyway.... Its just not giving the normal iso burning options under the iso tab in the burn menue. Im stumped.

I followed the instructions for the downloading and burning of the iso image and I got the same results. The md5 checksum thing said that the file i downloaded was fine ( I redownloaded from a diffrent mirror too Just in case.
    Well, that was an incrediable waste of bandwidth. If the md5 check passes then the file is good, as long as you get it from a trusted source. Your mention that you went to another mirror shows that you ignored the advice in the FAQ to use BitTorrent rather than a mirror, so I do wonder what other advice you decided wasn't important too. Did you burn slowly, for example?

It seems like for some reason it cant read from that part of the disk or something ?
    I see the question mark, but is that a question? It looks more like a statement.

By the way, this isn't likely to be a problem reading the disk; Knoppix will boot just fine with no disk at all, and during the boot process only looks at the partition table and may use a Linux swap file if there is one on the disk (you can even prevent this with the noswap cheat code).

Nero said that the iso was forieghn .... ?
    Again, just using a question mark does not change a statement into a question. But I have never seen that error in Nero or anyone else reporting that error. You might try a Google search for it. I have no idea which version of Nero you are using, or what version of Knoppix you are trying to burn, what steps you are taking to get this error, or what you did after you got the error. I still have no idea what "I had to sort of manually burn it" means.

Whatever you managed to make, are you getting far enough in the boot process to use the testcd cheat code?

If you write detailed notes on the exact steps that you take to burn the ISO then perhaps we can spot what you are doing wrong; short of that pretty much everyone else gets a good burn if they closely follow the instructions in the FAQ (which we update whenever we find an error that a user can make if they are trying to follow it).

wow ok im blushing ....

I followed all the steps (minus the suggestion to us the torrent link)
    I checked the iso with the checksum utility and it was fine
    I burned it with nero burning rom version 5.5.10.35
    I used the option under the file drop down menue to burn an image
    It didnt give me an error .... its just that ive never seen it come up with foreighn image in the image properties tab
    I burned it at 4x ... a painfull experience
    it finished burning with no problems and restarted the pc to boot from the cd
    It booted up to the first command screen (like I said im completly new to linux.. ive never used it before today)
    I pressed f2 for the command list and used "Knoppix" It started detecting the usb stuff
    then after it seemed to finish this it started to (i assume) look inside the said directory for something for a split second
    then it gave me the error i stated in the first post

I tried again using a few diffrent commands to start the os and it did basicly the same thing... it seemed to load a bunch of drivers for my hardware ... it was hard to spot any recongnizable names but i did see my cdrom and my hard drives ect ect I also just tried running slack live cd and it gave me some wierd cache error or something

Should this be so embarissing?

I checked the iso with the checksum utility and it was fine
    I burned it with nero burning rom version 5.5.10.35
    I used the option under the file drop down menue to burn an image
    It didnt give me an error .... its just that ive never seen it come up with foreighn image in the image properties tab
    Well, it soundl like you could be using the proper technique for Nero 5 and that you are not getting an error. So far so good. I see you finally told us what version of Nero you are using, but I'm still wondering what version of Knoppix you are burning.

I burned it at 4x ... a painfull experience
    Gee, it takes about 15 minutes or so at 4x. It seems like you spent a lot more time than that on this, so doing what has been found by many many users to be important shouldn't be a big issue. I just go and grab a snack or do some chore when I burn a CD (any CD). Sure, I wish my CD burner really worked at 48x or 52x, but the tuth is that high speed burns are marginal; the flaws intrioduced are often but not always hidden by the extensive error correcting code on a CD. I burn everything now at slow speeds. My advice to you is at least while you are trying to resolve things burn a copy slowly so that isn't yet another factor to deal with. After you have things working if you feel that you have to burn the CD in less than 2 minutes, go ahead, as long as you are not giving it to a friend or selling it. You might not have any problems, or you might spot the problems this causes and burn another copy at a safe speed.

You are using Nero 5, which if I remember properly does not do a verification pass for a ISO burn (6 does have that option). So your burn is a little faster than with 6, but you could have a bad burn and not know it.

it finished burning with no problems and restarted the pc to boot from the cd
    It booted up to the first command screen (like I said im completly new to linux.. ive never used it before today)
    I pressed f2 for the command list and used "Knoppix" It started detecting the usb stuff
    OK, it sounds like things are going fine so far. You don't need to type knoppix if not using a cheat code; just an enter at the prompt will do. However, you do use knoppix with most cheat codes, and since you are having problems I would suggest knoppix testcd as the code to start with. Warning: the screen blanker may cut in while the CD is still being checked; just hit the shift key when this happens to get the screen back.

then after it seemed to finish this it started to (i assume) look inside the said directory for something for a split second then it gave me the error i stated in the first post
    I'm not clear why you are getting the error. I've never seen it. I don't know what hardware you are booting on or even what version of Knoppix. The cloop file is the large compressed file of all the Linux applications that Knoppix holds, obviously you need this. It sounds more like an issue of something amiss with the disc than with your computer hardware, but at this point that's very speculative.

There is a section in the wiki on cheat codes that would be worth reading. One common problem is a need to force DMA to be enabled or disabled. Can't tell you which your default is since I don't know your Knoppix version, but if it is 4.02 then DMA is off by default and you might want to use knoppix dma to force it on. If all else fails I like to use the expert cheat code to step through the boot process and find where it fails; sometimes this gives a lot of insight to what to change in booting options.

also just tried running slack live cd and it gave me some wierd cache error or something

Should this be so embarissing?
    Well, I would personally take a few notes and give people better information than "some wierd cache error or something". And I still have no idea what you mean to say by "I had to sort of manually burn it". Giving good and detailed information is important to getting problems like this resolved.

Ive tried installing a copy of dabian and during the installation were it mounts the cd it couldnt mount the disk. I tried skipping this step (knowing it woulnd help) and it told me that some of the kernal ellements couldnt be loaded for some of the hardware. I showed a list of the ide controlers and some other stuff that wasnt familiar. Ive had similar problems installing windows with this motherboard becouse of the need for special drivers to run the ide controlers properly so I think it could be an issue with that again. It seems like the basic kernal is loading but it cant control the hardware to load anymore of the software. I will continue to investigate this in my own clumsy way : ) and i will post any results that may be helpfull to future users. thanks for the help and sorry for being so inconsistant and unclear. My guess right now is that my ide controlers are not supported properly.

eureka sp?

Well im happy to say that Ive got knoppix up and running. I must say its impressive, Im so in love with linux now.
    Im running an intel d865perl motherboard with a p4 2.6 ht a couple of samsung hard drives and a samsung cdrw drive and two sticks of mushkin level one ram in dual channel config.

I changed the drive setting in my bios to legacy, updated the bios and the firmware for my cdrw drive and now knoppix starts up just fine. Still having problems installing debian but atleast I know i can run some form of linux on my hardware. This makes me very happy : )

Senior Member registered user
    hello i have just also got this error.

accesseing knoppix cd at /dev/hdd..insmod: error inserting' /modules/cloop.ko: -1 bad file number

i just downloaded the latest version of knoppix from bit torrent and checked it using md5

i burnt it using nero 7 at 2.4x and gets that error.

how did you fix that error?

i have used differnt knoppix live cds in the past and all worked like a charm.

plaese help me!

I had same problem on my newer systems using benq burner as cd drive (DVD booted fine on 'older' systems) and the advice above of starting with:
    knoppix dma
    fixed the problem.

Nigel