Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I request new apps?

How do I request new apps?

Is there a web page or somewhere that people can request new klik'able apps?
    If there isn't can I ask that Bestcrypt and BNR2 be added please.

BlueGirl

Senior Member registered user
    Hi bluegirl,

this is the right place to request new packages

The bad news: BestCrypt needs to be compiled specifically fro the kernel you are using, and this cannot be done by klik, because the neccessary kernel sources are not part of Knoppix and because the end user should not be required to compile at all (if you want to do it anyway, please see http://www.jetico.com/linux/bcrypt-help/l_bcins.htm).

The good news: There is a free alternative already included in Knoppix:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3403

Similarly for the newsgroup reader, there is no deb or rpm package available, too. This wout at least require major effort to make it klik-able, and at the moment I would recommend looking for an alternative newsreader, as there are plenty in klik.

Greetings,
    probono

Thanks for the reply probono. I'm a relative newbie to Linux so I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that Bestcrypt can't be done because it has no RPM, because if you look on their website there is one. But I think you are saying it can't be done because of the kernel issues

If the lack of an RPM for BNR2 is the only thing preventing it being klik-able then let me know and I will request an RPM version on the BNR forum. I don't expect it will happen anytime soon, if at all, but there's no harm in asking.

Can I conclude that if I want an app to be klik-able it has to be available as an RPM or a debian package?

By the way that jetico link appears to be broken!

Thanks anyway

BlueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGirl
    Are you saying that Bestcrypt can't be done because it has no RPM, because if you look on their website there is one. But I think you are saying it can't be done because of the kernel issues
    It's a .src.rpm = _source_ rpm, that means that it cannot be run directly but has to be compiled first (and for being compiled, most code needs additional code such as the kernel sources in this case).

If the lack of an RPM for BNR2 is the only thing preventing it being klik-able then let me know and I will request an RPM version on the BNR forum.
    Well, a guarantee that BNR2 appears in klik (note: appears, not neccessarily works, though the chance is high) is to have it included in debian.

Can I conclude that if I want an app to be klik-able it has to be available as an RPM or a debian package?
    Everything that is in debian has the highest chance to become klik-able (aitomatically). Everything else needs a "klik recipe" that has to be written by hand. This is greatly facilitated if there are readymade binaries (usually in .deb or .rpm format). If there is enough demand and no close alternative available, someone could still try to hand-write a recipe for an app even if it is not in debian and there are no matching .debs or .rpms available, but it is not as easy usually.

By the way that jetico link appears to be broken!
    The problem is also described on http://www.mepis.org/node/view/4202

Greetings,
    probono

Administrator Site Admin-
    Just a few comments on BNR:

Just switching to a different news reader isn't a realistic option for many BNR users. Actually, BNR is quite different than most news readers in that it can't even post. But what it does do it does extremely well (when it's not corrupting it's own database ). It can make complete binary files by getting segments from multiple news groups and/or from multiple different news servers. I don't know of another news reader that is as useful for downloading binary files.

IMHO, it would be nice to have BNR2 "klickable". Failing that, a live CD with BNR2 installed on it would be very nice.

I doubt that we'll see BNR "in Debian" any time soon. It is buggy. The sources have only relatively recently been made public and it's not open source. It's also written in Delphi and I don't believe it can be compiled with any open source tools.

Harry, so you also request BNR2? Well, I don't know the app personally but if there is enough interest, i'll try to hand-write a recipe.

Greetings,
    probono

Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Harry, so you also request BNR2? Well, I don't know the app personally but if there is enough interest by people, i'll try to hand-write a recipe.
    I think it's a nice application. I use it all the time in Windows. I could see that it might be handy to have on a live CD or klickable for when I'm away from my home system, but it's not a pressing issue for me. I think your time if far better spent on "Making all applications from debian klik-able is the current goal, and we are close to it", but if you get done with all other work and are totally bored, then sure, stick it on the list. But there are a few things you should understand: BNR2 and BNR3 are both out. BNR2 had some bad database corruption issues (although we old time BNR users have figured out ways to operate around them). BNR3 used a different database as a way around this and some other restrictions, but it runs like a pig. BNR2 would likely be the better choice for klick (but you can likely guess which I use and where my bias is).

Here we go:

http://klik.berlios.de/cmg/ --> bnr2.cmg

Information on how to use cmg images is on
    http://klik.atekon.de/docs/

cmg will likely become the new klik default format.

Greetings,
    probono

Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Here we go:

http://klik.berlios.de/cmg/ --> bnr2.cmg

Information on how to use cmg images is on
    http://klik.atekon.de/docs/ .....
    Wow, very interesting.

I'm on windows right now, but looking forward to trying this under a live CD.

I'm wondering how it will work for bnr2, since bnr2 defaults to having a lot of configuration files and database files in the same directory it is run from.

Reading through the doc on cmg, I couldn't help but wonder, what would be the tradeoff on replacing one big clopp file with a lot of cmg files? It would seem (perhaps just to those of us ignorant enough to not know better) that this would be a great approach: Easy updates by just changing a cmg file. The cmg could live on cd or just the cmg's you use frequenty could be moved to hard disk where they would run a lot faster. I also saw mention on this site recently about a Katonix that was DVD based and it mentioned that the clopp file was limited to 2 gig in size because of iso limitations; a problem that would not be an issue if applications were in their own cmg files. Should make remastering easy.

Oh, there's one place on the page http://klik.atekon.de/docs/index.php...ation%20Images where you talk about dmg files (fourth bullet point), I assume it's a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    I'm wondering how it will work for bnr2, since bnr2 defaults to having a lot of configuration files and database files in the same directory it is run from.
    True, this is why it uses /tmp for that.

Reading through the doc on cmg, I couldn't help but wonder, what would be the tradeoff on replacing one big clopp file with a lot of cmg files?
    While cmg works well for individual add-on packages, it wouldn't work for the base system. Also, libraries that are not in the base system must be in every cmg that requires them.

I also saw mention on this site recently about a Katonix that was DVD based and it mentioned that the clopp file was limited to 2 gig in size because of iso limitations; a problem that would not be an issue if applications were in their own cmg files. Should make remastering easy.
    Sure, for my personal use I have a Kanotix copied from CD to DVD along with hundreds of megabytes of additional cmg files, including MSIE and MS Office...

Oh, there's one place on the page http://klik.atekon.de/docs/index.php...ation%20Images where you talk about dmg files (fourth bullet point), I assume it's a typo.
    True, fixed.

Greetings,
    probono

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast