Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing Knoppix Problems.

Senior Member registered user

Re: Huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Presently42
    That's interesting. I left the IP address Blank. Maybe providing one confused it as well.

Question:

Is there a Fire Wall that is Currently Protecting me? I haven't downloaded one. I'm hoping that Knoppix has one.?

Greetings.

O: How do I change my Mouse Pointer? It's... not the most aesthetically pleasing thing on Earth....
    Knoppix has no firewall, but being the way linux is you don't have to worry, and there is noway crackers could damage the cd.

Junior Member registered user

Ah.

Thank you. That's what I figured: That's why I wasn't panicking.

I'm really enjoying Knoppix. I'm very glad that I made the Decision to try it out.

One day, I'll have to partition the Hard-Drive and put a Linux on it. But, that's another day.

The question I have now is this:

I recently figured out how to access my Hard-Drive from Knoppix. (I'm currently listening to Music from it). Can I save Files to that Hard-Drive? If so, How?

Also, how do I become the Root User in lieu of user knoppix? It gets tiring after a while of getting the root messages that I can't do such and such a thing.

Thank you Kindly.

Depends on the type of partition, if its NTFS (windows XP) then you need to try Captive NTFS in the KNOPPIX menu.

If other then just right-click actions -> change read/write mode.

To become root just type

su
    or
    sudo to become root for one command.

Tum.

Firstly, my Hard-drive isn't partitioned yet. It is still completely devoted to Windows 2000.

Secondly, what does "If other then just right-click actions -> change read/write mode." mean?

Thirdly: What does "To become root just type

su
    or
    sudo to become root for one command." mean?

I'm sorry if any of this is Intuitively Obviouse (to quote); I'm not well experienced in Linux. Yet.

Lastly, my mouse has a Thumb-Button which I use to go back (in, say, a web-browser). Currently, I can't do that. How do I configure it to do so?

Thank you Kindly.

Re: Tum.

Quote Originally Posted by Presently42
    Firstly, my Hard-drive isn't partitioned yet. It is still completely devoted to Windows 2000.

Secondly, what does "If other then just right-click actions -> change read/write mode." mean?

Thirdly: What does "To become root just type

su
    or
    sudo to become root for one command." mean?

I'm sorry if any of this is Intuitively Obviouse (to quote); I'm not well experienced in Linux. Yet.

Lastly, my mouse has a Thumb-Button which I use to go back (in, say, a web-browser). Currently, I can't do that. How do I configure it to do so?

Thank you Kindly.
    When in windows, right-click and go to properties, If the filesystem says anything other then ntfs then while in knoppix, right-click the corresponding drive and follow the instructions.

Those commands I gave you to become root are entered into a console.

If you need to use something that needs a root password, you need to set one up first.

type
    su
    passwd

into a console and set one up.

Problem.

I clicked on the Terminal Program button (next to web-browser next to Mozilla). Then, I typed su. It said I was now root. But, when I went to type passwd (and then a password), it said unknown.

Here is the Attempt:

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ su
    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# passwd [password]
    passwd: Unknown user [password]
    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# passwd[password]
    bash: passwd[password]: command not found
    root@ttyp1[knoppix]#

What did I do wrong?

Also, I right-clicked in Knoppix on the Hard-Drive icon on the dektop and chose change read / write (or what ever it is). It did mention ntfs.

Thank you.

First off, you don't need to set a root password for anything you do at a console, because, as you've noticed, you can type "su" in a console window and become root with no password (it's a Knoppix feature). You only need to set a root password if you're going to use a KDE- or X-based program that asks you for a root password, such as running QTParted (a hard disk partitioning program).

So, just for fun, get a console and type "man passwd" and see if you can figure out what you did wrong. "man" is short for "manual", and most Linux commands (and some GUI-based programs) have "man" pages available.

To set the root password, go to a console and type:

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ su
    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# passwd

(You have to either supply the name of the user after the "passwd" command, or leave it blank and it assumes the current user.) Knoppix responds:

Enter new UNIX password: <enter your password>

(You won't see any output. This is a security feature.)

Retype new UNIX password: <retype your password>
    passwd: password updated successfully

To set a password for the "Knoppix" user, as root, type passwd knoppix and follow the prompts.

If your Win2K partition is formatted as NTFS, do not mount it in read/write mode and do not try writing to it. Corruption could result. As mentioned above, you'd want to install and use the Captive NTFS drivers for that (and that's another mini-tutorial!).

Excellent.

Next problem:

How do I save my Knoppix settings so that I don't have to re-set every thing (and, can I get the Firefox browser I downloadad to stay and with all of the modifications that I made to it?)

Also, how do I write and read off of a Floppy Diskette?

Yahoo.

Knoppix contains scripts (which you can access from the Knoppix menu) for saving your configuration settings (e.g. X setup, passwords, etc. -- the config files you'd find in /etc) and for saving a "persistent home" (i.e. the /home/knoppix directory, which would include your Firefox browser).

The easiest way to do that, if all you've got is an NTFS partition, is to use a USB key/thumbdrive. Now the problem with that is, if you're using the 2.6.9 kernel, a new USB filesystem driver's been implemented, but the Knoppix scripts haven't been rewritten to take the new filesystem into account. Meaning, your USB key/thumbdrive won't show up as a place to save your persistent home or configuration to.

(Using kernel 2.4, your USB key = /dev/sda1; using kernel 2.6.9, your USB key = /dev/uba1.)

The good news is, you can run the 2.4 kernel, save your configs and your persistent home on your USB key/thumbdrive, and then use them with the 2.6.9 kernel with no problem.

You can also save your configuration to a floppy (it's very small).

Anyway. Choose "Knoppix menu > Configure > Create a persistent KNOPPIX home directory" or "Knoppix menu > Configure > Save KNOPPIX configuration" to do either one. Do not try to save them on an NTFS partition.

As far as accessing a floppy goes: Put the floppy in the drive and click on the floppy icon on the desktop. Knoppix has something called an automounter that will, er, automatically mount the floppy if there's one in the drive. It'll show up as /mnt/floppy in Konqueror (the file browser).

Opps I ment to type "needs a root password".

My Bad.

It was late.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast