Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Knoppix Problems.

Junior Member registered user

Installing Knoppix Problems.

Alright. I have downloaded Knoppix (First version 3.4 via BitTorrent, now 3.7 from a German University on th Knoppix.org web-page (the first link) via ftp.). The file (1) is a .iso. Which is what I want, yes? Right. I burn it to a CD using Ahead Nero Express (came with the Burner) in the El Torrito fashion. It asks me for a diskette (which I acutally had to start using with the boot.img thingy (which is a story unto itself). However, later on, I no longer needed this diskette: It booted from the CD all by itself. (The BIOS being some thing to do with Award).

I get to the knoppix screen: It says version 3.4. Auf Deutsche. Which means I can only barely understand it.

Now, it gives me the boot option. I press enter: It goes to a black screen with the Penguin. It proceed to say some thing like DMA enabled three times for three different things.

Then:

"Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset button to quit."

Well, I re-downloaded, re-burned, re did with knoppix nodma: Still no go.

What now?

Please, be kind Technically: I'm only starting to get used to the Language (which means, essentially, I know very little indeed.)

Thank you for your Co-Operation.

A New Development.

After having used the cheatcode nodma and having it still do the exact same thing, I tried knoppix testcd (maybe the CD is corrupt, I figure). Well, it did the exact same thing it always does.

So: I think that it isn't recognising my commands.

Now what?

One More Thing:

The version of Knoppix that I downloaded is version 3.7. Every tiem I try to run it, it says version 3.4.

When I try to switch to kernel 2.6, it says that linux36 (or some thing VERY similar to that) can't be found.

The only thing that seems to do SOME THING is failsafe.

I think that I checked the MD5 sums: I think that they are OK. I used a programme md5.exe and I'm not quite sure A: How to work it and B: If I did get it to: If I did it properly.

Alright. I'm getting mad now.

I can't even partition my Hard-Disk: It won't give me the Wizard!

Using (presently) Windows 2000 Professional.

Senior Member registered user
    I burn it to a CD using Ahead Nero Express (came with the Burner) in the El Torrito fashion. It asks me for a diskette (which I acutally had to start using with the boot.img thingy (which is a story unto itself).
    This is the wrong way to burn an iso image. Offcause you can boot because you burn that boot.img from floppy...that why you get different version. You can't use El Torrito option, you only need to select burn image.
    Read here on how to burn iso using nero : http://trb.org/publications/burning_iso.html
    This is the captured image from that site:

or get BurnCDCC : http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlburncdcc.html

Since the Docs section is down: There's a Linux distro named Xandros. While that's neither here nor there, they have a good page on how to verify MD5 checksums and burn an ISO (their ISO, but it applies equally well to Knoppix) with Nero Express here.

First, make sure you've downloaded the correct files.
    The Knoppix ISO that defaults to English (EN): ftp://ftp.orst.edu/pub/knoppix/KNOPP...4-12-08-EN.iso
    The MD5 checksum: ftp://ftp.orst.edu/pub/knoppix/KNOPP...-08-DE.iso.md5
    (It's an ASCII text file, which means you should open it using Windows Notepad.)

Important things to note about the Xandros instructions:
    • You have to select "Burn image to disk" in Nero Express. If Nero asks you for a floppy, you're doing it wrong.
    • The 4x speed Xandros recommends is ridiculously slow. 32x seems to work well for me. Be sure you're using good CD media (i.e. not some no-name brand).
    • After you're done, if you've got Autorun enabled in Windows, a browser window should pop up with the Knoppix "Readme" file when you load the CD in your drive. That's one way to know you've burned it correctly. Another way to know is that you should be able to browse the files and folders on the CD in Windows Explorer.

After you've verified that you've burned the CD correctly, you'll have to set your BIOS to boot from your CD-ROM. (If you can't set your computer's BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM drive, you can download a utility called Smart BootManager that will easily create a bootable floppy diskette that will allow you to boot from your CD-ROM.)

The "EN" version of Knoppix will boot into English without your having to do anything. In order to use the 2.6 kernel, you'll have to type "knoppix26" at the "boot:" prompt.

Aha! And now it's the Internet.

Well: Due to your people's valuable Insights, I now have Knoppix on Live CD!

Now then.

I would like the Internet to be available on my shiny, new Knoppix. I went to my ISP (Sympatico High Speed) and _finally_ got access manager for Linux. It came in 5 files: Here is it Link.

http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cf...ontent_id=1138

The question is:

How the devil do I do all of that? I tired to stick the first file they mention in to /usr/local/sbin (there wasn't a bin) but it didn't give me the option of putting it there. I have it presently on my Desktop.

Thank you Kindly.

Try use knoppix built-in pppoe first.

At the bottom left of your taskbar you will see knoppix penguin icon, click that and choose to configure your networkcard.
    Don't choose DHCP broadcast, set manually your ip(ex: 192.168.0.2), dns(given to you by isp), gateway (you can leave this blank)...etc. You can use dhcp broadcast if you are using router, and the router is set to broadcast dhcp.

After you are done with netcard config, run pppoe config...it will ask your account name and password.

Don't think it will work, it seems the rpogram needs to put something in /etc which is on the cd, and is not usuable.

You could do a remaster and try.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Aha! And now it's the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Presently42
    ....I would like the Internet to be available on my shiny, new Knoppix. I went to my ISP (Sympatico High Speed) and _finally_ got access manager for Linux. It came in 5 files.....
    It is not quite clear to me what type of internet connection you have, but since it has high speed in it's name, if you have either DSL or cable with an ethernet connection (as opposed to those damn USB connections), then I would highly recommend that you get one of the now very inexpensive DSL/cable routers. With one of these devices you connect the router to the modem via ethernet, and then you can plug one or more computers into the router. The router now takes care of any connection needed to the ISP (such as PPPoE for DSL users), and the computers need no special software at all beyond the normal TCP/IP stack. In such a system Knoppix should just boot up and be on the Internet automatically, with no special action taken on the part of the user. You also have a hardware firewall for greater protection, and the basic groundwork for a network (when you are ready to have more than one computer, or when a friend brings over their laptop). These things are often $10 U.S. or less after rebates, and will solve your problem.

By the way, it sounds like you downloaded the German version of Knoppix (with de at the end of the name), you might want to get a copy of the English version (with en at the end of the name). And always download and check the md5 sum when you download a Knoppix iso file.

Hladik.

I just want to let you know that you are all very helpful: I wan't expecting such fast and helpful answers.

Truly, much Appreciated.

Now then: I'm going to try once more to follow the Instruction that Sympatico give. Yes, I have High Speed DSL.

If that doesn't work, I shall try the Network Card Config. method. (By the bye: By "run pppoe config", I assume you mean run the file pppoe from Sympatico? Do tell.)

Thank you Kindly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast