Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Knoppix is very nice, but I forced to switch back to win xp

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    Knoppix is very nice, but I forced to switch back to win xp

    I have to say knoppix is a very nice...... not only the "outside look", but also it's power to perform many things...... and the idea of live CD is excellent....... However, I tried to use it in my vaio laptop...... I couldn't get my dvd drive to work in knoppix and since I have a lot of things on disc...... if knoppix couldn't use my dvd drive, then it just become completely useless and I guess I have to switch back to microsoft windows xp instead.

    The error I got is as follows :
    Unable to run the command specified, The file or folder

    file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist

    I try to use ln -sf /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd and still didn't work ( May be my command isn't correct, I am just a beginner to Linux )......

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    Re: Knoppix is very nice, but I forced to switch back to win

    Quote Originally Posted by wilson001
    file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist
    From the above error message, maybe it's just the mount point that's missing rather than the device entry in /dev. Try to simply create a /mnt/cdrom folder...

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix is very nice, but I forced to switch back to win

    Quote Originally Posted by wilson001
    ...the idea of live CD is excellent....... However, I tried to use it in my vaio laptop...... I couldn't get my dvd drive to work......
    Were you using the Live CD, as your comment suggests, or were you using Knoppix instaled to hard drive? If installed on a hard drive then I'm not too surprised (I'm much more surprised when someone installs Knoppix to a hard drive and doesn't have problems), but if so your post really should be in the hdd install forum. If from CD then I'm not sure how you expected to use the DVD drive; I've never seen a notebook with more than one DVD/CD drive and the KNoppix CD has to stay in the drive it booted from while running (unless you have a gig of memory and use the toram option, which you also didn't mention).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    Re: Knoppix is very nice, but I forced to switch back to win

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson001
    ...the idea of live CD is excellent....... However, I tried to use it in my vaio laptop...... I couldn't get my dvd drive to work......
    Were you using the Live CD, as your comment suggests, or were you using Knoppix instaled to hard drive? If installed on a hard drive then I'm not too surprised (I'm much more surprised when someone installs Knoppix to a hard drive and doesn't have problems), but if so your post really should be in the hdd install forum. If from CD then I'm not sure how you expected to use the DVD drive; I've never seen a notebook with more than one DVD/CD drive and the KNoppix CD has to stay in the drive it booted from while running (unless you have a gig of memory and use the toram option, which you also didn't mention).

    I have installed the knoppix into the hard drive. When I tried to click the access the drive, the error message stated above was displayed. So I tried to go to the folder ( /mnt/cdrom )in order to take a look. I did see there's an icon named CDROM, but the icon is a bit different than others icon...... And when I put my mouse to it, it displayed something saying "The path doesn't exist anymore". So, it occurs to me that icon was actually a short to another place ( /mnt/auto/cdrom ), then I went to that folder and found out it is empty, and I don't have any permission to do anything over there.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    I suggest the following solution:

    1) type on a terminal the command dmesg
    2) you will see a lot of information written on screen but somewhere in that apparent chaos you will a reference to your CD/DVD drive. In my case is:

    scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
    Vendor: TOSHIBA Model: DVD-ROM SD-C2302 Rev: 1713
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

    The important fact is that it says to me that my DVD is a sr0 device, so now I can mount it as

    sudo mount /dev/sr0

    I hope it can help

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    oops, a better mount command is:

    sudo mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom

    Where I assume you have created a /cdrom folder. It allows you to do things like: cd /cdrom

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Wilson, be sure to go to the Sony website and search for downloads. My memory is fuzzy, but when I tried unsuccessfully to boot Knoppix to a VAIO notebook, I found out about a BIOS upgrade that fixed the problem. May have nothing at all to do with what you are trying, but it may be worth a shot. You might also try Kanotix before you give up on linux entirely. I've found it to boot more reliably.

    jd

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by zerwekh
    I suggest the following solution:

    1) type on a terminal the command dmesg
    2) you will see a lot of information written on screen but somewhere in that apparent chaos you will a reference to your CD/DVD drive. In my case is:

    scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
    Vendor: TOSHIBA Model: DVD-ROM SD-C2302 Rev: 1713
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

    The important fact is that it says to me that my DVD is a sr0 device, so now I can mount it as

    sudo mount /dev/sr0

    I hope it can help

    Thank you so much for the help. However, when I try to run the command. It said I am not
    "in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported".

    Then I try to run the command in the root, it again gave me another error

    mount : block device /dev/sr0 is write protected, mounting read-only
    mount : No medium found.

    I will be appreciate if you can help me again once more. Again I am very new to Linux, and henceforth don't know all the details like command to use yet. Thanks again.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson001
    mount : No medium found.
    Sorry for stating the obvious, but you do have a cdrom in there, dont you ?-)

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson001
    mount : No medium found.
    Sorry for stating the obvious, but you do have a cdrom in there, dont you ?-)

    Yes, I do have CDROM in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Problem detect/mount dvd drive force to switch back to WinXP
    By wilson001 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 11:17 PM
  2. win doesn't play nice with my knoppix hd install :(
    By paradox_4 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 10:19 AM
  3. a nice way to install Knoppix, but...
    By yanggers in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 04:33 PM
  4. nic needs to be forced!!
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-10-2003, 07:21 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 04:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive USB Memory Stick  Pen Drive Thumb Storage U Disk picture

32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive USB Memory Stick Pen Drive Thumb Storage U Disk

$6.29



SanDisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB USB Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen Disk lot picture

SanDisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB USB Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen Disk lot

$6.95



SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB 3.0 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB Flash Drive Thumb Memory picture

SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB 3.0 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB Flash Drive Thumb Memory

$19.99



SanDisk 8GB 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB USB Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen Lot Pack picture

SanDisk 8GB 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB USB Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen Lot Pack

$4.95



2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Pen U Disk Metal Key Thumb for PC Laptop US picture

2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Pen U Disk Metal Key Thumb for PC Laptop US

$9.59



2TB 256GB USB Flash Drive Thumb U Disk Memory Stick Pen PC Laptop Storage USA picture

2TB 256GB USB Flash Drive Thumb U Disk Memory Stick Pen PC Laptop Storage USA

$13.99



Sandisk Ultra Flair 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB 512GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive lot picture

Sandisk Ultra Flair 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB 512GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive lot

$30.80



ZIPPY USB Flash Drive Memory Stick Pendrive Thumb Drive 4GB, 8GB, 32GB, 64GB LOT picture

ZIPPY USB Flash Drive Memory Stick Pendrive Thumb Drive 4GB, 8GB, 32GB, 64GB LOT

$2.99



High Speed USB 3.0 Metal Flash Drive 2TB Pen Drive U Disk External Memory Stick picture

High Speed USB 3.0 Metal Flash Drive 2TB Pen Drive U Disk External Memory Stick

$5.99



2TB 512GB USB Flash Drive Thumb U Disk Memory Stick Pen PC Laptop Storage USA picture

2TB 512GB USB Flash Drive Thumb U Disk Memory Stick Pen PC Laptop Storage USA

$13.99