Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help with hdinstall [v3.6]

Senior Member registered user
    After booting from cd.........unmount all hdd partition listed on desktop (by right clicking--->unmount).
    Open konsole:
    su
    knoppix-installer.
    Choose Debian style and install lilo to mbr.

Good luck.

Junior Member registered user
    trying now, hope it works...

Quote Originally Posted by shah
    After booting from cd.........unmount all hdd partition listed on desktop (by right clicking--->unmount).
    Open konsole:
    su
    knoppix-installer.
    Choose Debian style and install lilo to mbr.

Good luck.
    Tried, but the partitions were already unmounted...
    Ran the installation again and took my digitalcamera and filmed it where it pops up error-messages in the background and here are some pictures of the errors:
    http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfold...ad0/error1.jpg
    http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfold...ad0/error2.jpg
    http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfold...ad0/error3.jpg
    http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfold...ad8/error4.jpg

Hope you can find what's wrong with them..

Delete all linux partition and create new one using cfdisk. (or you can create using other partition manager ex: partition manager)
    Try Boot knoppix cd with cheat code: knoppix nodma
    Then try install again.

didn't work either

Seems like I can't make a hdinstall....

I'm getting this thread alive again.

It's like this that I were gonna reinstall Windows a while ago and before that I just made a test and renamed the windows-directory and deleted som boot-files and stuff so that windows wasn't accessable. Then I tried installing knoppix and it really worked booting after the installation.
    The bad thing is that as soon as I install Windows again it will only boot into that and no Knoppix anymore...

What shall I do?? Should I have Windows alone on one of my three harddrives and linux on one of the other, cause right now they lies on the same drive.

anyone who can help me?

Quote Originally Posted by ultima
    I'm getting this thread alive again.

It's like this that I were gonna reinstall Windows a while ago and before that I just made a test and renamed the windows-directory and deleted som boot-files and stuff so that windows wasn't accessable. Then I tried installing knoppix and it really worked booting after the installation.
    The bad thing is that as soon as I install Windows again it will only boot into that and no Knoppix anymore...

What shall I do?? Should I have Windows alone on one of my three harddrives and linux on one of the other, cause right now they lies on the same drive.
    They should work OK all on the same drive but usually you must install windows first then linux afterward because windows will overwrite lilo on the the MBR. Windows doesn't like recognise that there are other operating systems in the world. This will be a problem even if linux is on a different HD as it still needs lilo on the boot MBR.

So you must find a way to boot into your Knoppix install without using lilo so that you can boot into it after you reinstall windows & reinstall lilo. There are two ways of doing this. First is to make a boot disk & use it to boot Knoppix after lilo is trashed. Second is to boot the CD with the bootcode 'knoppix root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro' (replace hda5 with the correct partition for where your knoppix is). Try first before you reinstall windows so you know you will be able to get into KNoppix after you replace windows.

Then reinstall windows, boot into Knoppix & reinstall lilo with 'sudo lilo'.

whao...im new...and i need LOTS of help

I am NEW i have very very little knowladge on hard disk partitions and i want to install knoppix on my hard drive. i have 2 HD's a 500mb and a 40gig drive. i recently tried knoppix and i think its great .the only problem is i can not mount my 40 gig hard drive. when i first used the knoppix cd it was mounted . i tried to install it using the command line and then something appeared asking me if i wanted todo something to my hd. ( im sorry it is so vague but i honestly cant remember what i did.)but anyway the problem is every time i try to install knoppix throught the command line i get an error message. I will put the order i do things to get this message. 1) i wait untill the knoppix cd boots adn gets to the desktop. 2) i press
    ctrl-alt-F1. 3)i type-"knx-hdinstall" 4)a program appears telling me that this script will help me install knoppix. 5) i click "ok" 6) it asks me to choose a hard disk to install to...i choose the 40 gig hard disk. 7)it then says that cfdisk will now be launched...i hit "ok" than it saya FATAL ERROR : bad primary partition 0: partition ends after end-of-diskpress any key to exit cfdisk 9) now it asks me if i want to use a swap partition( i dont know what this means) i choose "ok"now it says NO swap partition could be found on the current hard disk. I am really lost i dont know anything about swap partitions or partitions in general i would really appreciate if anyone took some time to help me out i really enjoyed using knoppix and would like to keep it on my hard disk...THANKS

j23, before you do the install, try QTparted and see if you get an error when the program scans the partitions. If you get no errors then use this program to make your partitions. You have to set a password to use this, sudo passwd - then enter password..and again. Now you can use QTparted. It should be located in k menu-->system. I didn't know the old knx-installer still worked. I always used knoppix-installer. What version are you trying to install?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast