Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't boot from CD.

Junior Member registered user
    I don't think I explained what I want well enough.

I have a computer, with Corel Linux on it (don't laugh). I want to run Koppix Linux on it, but I can't because the BIOS will not boot from a CD-ROM. For the Corel Linux install we had a floppy disk, which told the computer to use the CD to run (and thereofre install). I am looking for something to do this.

Now you might have already told me that what I need is SMB, but from what I understand this boots multiple operating systems (am I right?). I'm not really interested in this. I just want to boot Knoppix.

Does this clarify things or is this how you understood it before? Have I got it completely wrong?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonfodder
    wtf??? i dunno much about linux...so i'm with you on this one..wtf?? oi harry-san..a little help please...your uber SBM is difficult to understand..
    Is there a question here somewhere (other than the offensive TLA)?

I suggest getting SBM, making a floppy (no risk to the hard disk that way, although there is minimal risk anyway), boot the SBM floppy and actually try using it.

Senior Member registered user
    You still need SBM.
    Just create a SBM boot floppy.
    Boot from it and choose to boot CDROM with knoppis cd inserted.

Get SMB floppy image from: http://slackware.at/data/slackware-c...s/sbootmgr.dsk
    Then in Corel linux do : dd if=sbootmgr.dsk of=/dev/fd0

or in windows/dos , use any of this tools : http://www.fdos.org/ripcord/rawrite/#windows

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    wtf??? i dunno much about linux...so i'm with you on this one..wtf?? oi harry-san..a little help please...your uber SBM is difficult to understand..
    Is there a question here somewhere (other than the offensive TLA)?

I suggest getting SBM, making a floppy (no risk to the hard disk that way, although there is minimal risk anyway), boot the SBM floppy and actually try using it.
    whats the offensive TLA??? i havent come across this abbrev on forums before.....and i didnt mean anything by my post's about you..sorry if it looked that way..

BACK on topic....

abre...dont worry about it you explained it well enough..basically you want to replace corel linux *giggles at abre* with knoppix right??

*edit*

just realised that harry and shah have been posting while i was still in reply mode..so if any of my posts seem out of sync dont worry..they relate to posts previous to the one directly above mine..

so use SMB to make boot floppy and then install knoppix..done..

Quote Originally Posted by abre
    ...Now you might have already told me that what I need is SMB, but from what I understand this boots multiple operating systems (am I right?). I'm not really interested in this. I just want to boot Knoppix....
    easy to follow steps:

Download SBM. Whatever flavor unzips/untarballs/unwhatevers with whatever OS you use.

Extract the SMB installer.

Run it.

It will list out it's options. You can pick a language and a target device (under DOS/windows the target 0 is the floppy, the target 128 is the first hard drive, Linux might be different so look, but I expect it is the same)

Run it again with the options of your choice, which in this case would be your language of choice and the floppy drive.

Be sure your BIOS can boot from floppy and will do so before booting from hard disk.

Reboot, with the floppy you just made in the floppy drive.

The SBM menu will come up.

Pick CD0 from the menu. Be sure Knoppix is in the CD drive.

Watch Knoppix boot.

If you think the SBM menu is too ugly, look at XOSL.
    If you are tired of fooling with a floppy you might want to install to the MBR, but given the information that you have just provided, this could wipe out the LILO from Corel if (as is likely) it is already on the MBR. SBM has a way to back up the old MBR, but unless you understand how to install the Corel Lilo to the Corel Linux partition rather than the MBR then I would suggest just skipping this and using the SBM floppy, which will do what you indicated you want.

whats the offensive TLA??? i havent come across this abbrev on forums before.....and i didnt mean anything by my post's about you..sorry if it looked that way.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLA
    you figure out the rest

Ok, I understand that now. However the CD drive doesn't show up in the boot menu. I assume this is because there aren't any drivers for it at bootup, because it works in Corel Linux. Could this be solved or is that even the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by abre
    Ok, I understand that now. However the CD drive doesn't show up in the boot menu. I assume this is because there aren't any drivers for it at bootup, because it works in Corel Linux. Could this be solved or is that even the problem?
    Is there something special about this CD drive that would need a special driver? If it's a normal IDE drive it should certainly be in the list of bootable devices. You should be looking at a list that starts off Previous MBR and Quit to BIOS and maybe Power off (don't know if that one depends on power management being available or not), then Reboot, Floppy, Harddisk, followed by CD0 CD-ROM. You might try CTRL-I to rescan just to be sure. Also, be sure it's not off the bottom of the screen. Type F1 to bring up more help.

There's also something under [tab] then System Settings-> that deals with CD-ROM I/O ports that might help, but I've never had to use it and would not be sure what you would put here or if it would help.

I think the bottom line is there may be something strange about this CD-ROM drve that you're not telling us.

maybe it's scsi cd?

maybe it's scsi cd?
    Maybe. But I would expect SBM to be able to boot a SCSI drive too. (Not going to hook one up just to find out though.) If so there's a good chance that a Linux boot floppy (or floppy pair) made with rawrite will boot it, but we really need to get an answer to what this CD drive is before we can solve the problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast